Tournament Scoring App

Ghost of OBC

I was working through the thread in the main forum about ways we could improve pool for spectators and it got me thinking about ways to get more folks interested and participating in competitive pool.

The World Poker Tour has given life to a million small card games and tournaments played all over the country. Could we do something similar with billiards? I have an idea for an app-based scoring system that would allow pool rooms to run gambling-style pool tournaments easily. Essentially, every player buys in for a fixed entry fee, each player is given a fixed number of points to wager against other players, and then the players have a fixed period of time to make matches, give/receive weight/spots, agree on action, and, hopefully, increase their bankrolls. As players bust, tournaments could offer a buy back. Perhaps most importantly, the application would allow tournament organizers to raise the minimum bet, and impose penalties for inaction so players can't run out the clock (much like blind increases in poker tournament encourage loser play).

My question is, if such a system were available for a reasonable cost, would room owners be interested in running poker-style pool tournaments?

Ghost of OBC

Sure thing. Next I go to the bowling alley I'll see if they have an overhead and grease pen.

But seriously, one of the big complaints at DCC is not knowing when you play. APA using paper scoring is a PITA. Those poor captains. If we could make it a little easier for folks to compete, keep track of what is going on in the room, it might get more casual player more into the game. Internet poker has done wonders for pro poker. Pool is a much more exciting game than poker. I think we could grow the game.

Ghost of OBC

I totally agree. But, I'm not interested in running a maths camp. I'm trying to find ways to get more punters to play in pool tournaments so that there are places to play 20 or 50 years from now. If we can make the game friendly to some of the people who currently spend their time on sports betting, online poker, and golf, maybe we could keep some pool rooms open.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I totally agree. But, I'm not interested in running a maths camp. I'm trying to find ways to get more punters to play in pool tournaments so that there are places to play 20 or 50 years from now. If we can make the game friendly to some of the people who currently spend their time on sports betting, online poker, and golf, maybe we could keep some pool rooms open.

The future of Pool is with young people, mss as my of us started playing Pool at Boys Clubs, YMCA’s, City -County Recreation centers.

Get the kids off e games, and cell phones.

Expose your kids n grand kids to Pool, so will get bit by bug.😎

Ghost of OBC

The future of Pool is with young people, mss as my of us started playing Pool at Boys Clubs, YMCA’s, City -County Recreation centers.

Get the kids off e games, and cell phones.

Expose your kids n grand kids to Pool, so will get bit by bug.😎
Indeed! E-sports is another model for how to get young people into the game. Stats, leveling up, character development, are all familiar in the video game world, and could be imported in various degrees to pool. Scooter is a life-sized, talking, walking, video game character; it isn't a hard walk to help young folks see they could be too. Same with Earl.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Indeed! E-sports is another model for how to get young people into the game. Stats, leveling up, character development, are all familiar in the video game world, and could be imported in various degrees to pool. Scooter is a life-sized, talking, walking, video game character; it isn't a hard walk to help young folks see they could be too. Same with Earl.

Problem with Pool is people talk, come up with ideas, no working on implementing. WORK is dirty word.

Six or eight weeks ago guy decides to state Friday 8 Ball tournament.

He put fliers up in 5 or 6 community room in West Valley age restricted communities.

So far the event is drawing 24 -25 player a week. High week was 31 before snowbird fee home.

Ghost of OBC

I like work and I like action. I'll take whatever wager you'd like to make that I don't post a link to an application in this thread that does just what I said it would before Halloween 2022. Escrow required over $500.

Ghost of OBC

So, the app is in development and should be ready for testing in the next month or two. If there are any room owners who would be interested in trying a practice-room-style tournament, I'd be grateful to trade access to the scoring system for feedback from players. I'm in the DC area, so somewhere nearby would be ideal, but even further afield, I'm sure we could work out a way to test the system.

I really want to make a fun form of pool tournament that appeals to casual players as well as the truly talented. I'd be willing to kick in some swag for participants who are willing to provide feedback on the experience and discounts for any rooms that want to adopt the system for their own tournaments.

I'm not trying to get rich on this idea. I have a real job. But, I would like to get more casual players excited about competitive cue sports.

Ghost of OBC

So, the app is ready for initial testing. You can find it for Android here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alcachofra.the_tank_billiards_tour&hl=en&gl=US

It is a free application with no ads. I'm not trying to get rich, just trying to help the game. There are two modes: administrator, and table. Administrator sets up the tournament, adds the players, controls the rake, cut line, minimum bid, and the buy backs. All of the defaults are customizable. The table interface is for score keeping. Players can agree on a wager, a game, the number of games in a set etc. If anyone would like to give it a go, I'd be grateful for any thoughts you might have.

My goals were to make a practice room style tournament where the organizer has tools to hurry along a resolution.

89erZ Billiards

Have you used Challonge App? I had a small room w/ 3 Tables and would load on a Laptop and Broadcasted on to a TV to show the Brackets and the Games being played. Players could also pull up on Facebook to see Bracket and Results.

Ghost of OBC

Have you used Challonge App? I had a small room w/ 3 Tables and would load on a Laptop and Broadcasted on to a TV to show the Brackets and the Games being played. Players could also pull up on Facebook to see Bracket and Results.
Challonge is a good app. I've been mirroring a tablet with Tank to a Google Chrome TV so players can see the board. The game-making aspect has been fun, especially among players who know each other a little. It is fun to see tournament players have to negotiate a spot on the fly.