Vacation And Pool

Purdman

Banned
Hi folks, Purdman here. Maybe one of you nice people will help me figure this out. My wife wants me to take a vacation, end of May early June, for a week. She wants me to drive. I live in the D.C. area. She wants to go to the beach someplace. She loves pool also. I was thinking N.C. or S.C. ocean front. 8 hour drive or so. Any suggestions? Beach and top notch pool hall a must. I intend to rent a condo for a week. So far, I have come up with Top Sail Island, N.C. Beach front condo. Breaktime Billiards in Wilmington N.C. about 25 miles from beach. Any suggestions would be appriciated.
Don P. :rolleyes:

shawnNC

needs the 7
Silver Member
If you're looking for action near the coast, a beach near Wilmington will probably be the best so you can hit up Breaktime. Topsail may be more of a drive than you really need to make to Breaktime. Look for places at Carolina, Wrightsville, and Kure Beach. These are all "family beaches" with a fairly short drive to Wilmington (except in the horrible vacation traffic). If you're coming from DC the best way to these beaches would be I95 and take the 87S exit just south of Fayetteville. If you're looking to do some partying maybe you want to check out Myrtle Beach. Not real sure about the action down there. I couldn't find any on the bar boxes.

Purdman

Banned
shawnNC said:
If you're looking for action near the coast, a beach near Wilmington will probably be the best so you can hit up Breaktime. Topsail may be more of a drive than you really need to make to Breaktime. Look for places at Carolina, Wrightsville, and Kure Beach. These are all "family beaches" with a fairly short drive to Wilmington (except in the horrible vacation traffic). If you're coming from DC the best way to these beaches would be I95 and take the 87S exit just south of Fayetteville. If you're looking to do some partying maybe you want to check out Myrtle Beach. Not real sure about the action down there. I couldn't find any on the bar boxes.
Thanks Shawn, I am checking now. If you are ever in the DC area, let me know. We can get together and play some.
Don P. :cool:

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Don, Vegas has a real nice beach. Lots of pool tables the end of May. Just kidding, thats a pretty good drive. I used to drive it all the time, about 30 hours for me. have fun wherever you go. Sam

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman, the Sands Regency in Reno is having a big tournament the first two weeks of June. If you come out, I'll play you some 1h. From what I hear, I might need a spot! LOL!!

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Yeah and the VNEA starts in Vegas on the 27th, I'm also hoping to play in the Reno open. So you will be there Rick, maybe you can teach me 1 pocket! I watched my first accu stats video last weke of reyes playing some big fella in the derby city classic, have to say neither of them played very well at all. But it was the first time have seen 1 pocket played and I loved it! Can't wait to play some.

With regards to the Reno Open, I'm currently live outside the states and I was wondering if I could also enter the amature event before the pro am in reno? Just ask because it mentions something about must have played in a number of league games or something, are there no concessions for international players?

Looking forward to it though, anyone else going to Reno or VNEA?

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I was just joking with Don. My work is trying to squeeze the last bit of blood, sweat and tears out of me before I retire next year. I have about as much of a chance of getting away right now as me beating Efren in 1h heads up. Take it from me, the odds aren't very good!! If you do get up there though, write to me and I'll give you my phone # and maybe I can get up there on a Saturday.

TheOne said:
Yeah and the VNEA starts in Vegas on the 27th, I'm also hoping to play in the Reno open. So you will be there Rick, maybe you can teach me 1 pocket! I watched my first accu stats video last weke of reyes playing some big fella in the derby city classic, have to say neither of them played very well at all. But it was the first time have seen 1 pocket played and I loved it! Can't wait to play some.

With regards to the Reno Open, I'm currently live outside the states and I was wondering if I could also enter the amature event before the pro am in reno? Just ask because it mentions something about must have played in a number of league games or something, are there no concessions for international players?

Looking forward to it though, anyone else going to Reno or VNEA?

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Will do rick, although I'm planning on arriving on the Monday and the only way I will still be there the next Saturday is if I am still in the comp (as i believe there's a WPC qualifying event on in NYC on starting on the Friday). i don't doubt my ability but since this is my first pro am and only second 9 ball comp ever there's a good chance I'll be in NYC!

But you never know, looking forward to meeting a few guys from this board while I'm in the states.

Cheers Rick

shawnNC

needs the 7
Silver Member
Drop me a line when you're on your way to the beach. Little Reno here in Fayetteville is en route.

Shawn

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
The Vacation Spot...

Purdman,

If you are wanting a beach vacation and some pool tied in, you need to come down to Florida. The weather here is always nice for the beach, an the pool rooms are definitely NOT lacking. They are supposed to be opening a brand new hall about 7 mile in from beachfront. From what I hear this guy put allot of thought into it, and it's going to be very nice. If you are looking for action I can direct you to a couple other places to play also. Florida is called "The Sunshine State" for a reason...good luck on your vacation, and have fun!

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Don,
Good advise from Shawn...Carolina Beach is very nice and about a 15 minute drive up to Breaktime. If you go, ask for one of the Diamond tables on the left side...more serious players over there...the kids seem to end up on the other side of the room. Steve runs a very nice place there, and you can probably find a little action.
Enjoy. As we say down here, Nothing could be finer...
Steve

Purdman

Banned
Thanks Shawn

shawnNC said:
Thanks Shawn, I hooked up a nice condo at Carolina Beach. June 1st thru the 7th. Haven't had a week off since I went to Bluds last year. Really looking forward to it.
If anybody on the forum plays at Breaktime Billiards in Wilmington, N.C., let me know. You can meet the Purdman in person. I do play rather "SPORTY", as Mr. Glenn has posted.
Thanks again, Don P. :cool:

shawnNC

needs the 7
Silver Member
i'll take some free lessons for the advice at breaktime.. or at little reno which is right off of i95 on the way to hwy 87 to wilmington. :p

Purdman

Banned
shawnNC said:
i'll take some free lessons for the advice at breaktime.. or at little reno which is right off of i95 on the way to hwy 87 to wilmington. :p
Hey Shawn, Frank Glen says I play "Sporty", not pretty good. I do play "Purdy" good though. I had a rough time playing one hole with Blud, but I think he cheats. Got me 18 to 3. Sharking all the time. Balls moved mysteriously when I turned my head.
I would be more than happy to give you some pointers. Maybe you could give me some also. I am not much of a gambler. Not my bag. I will, but I don't go looking.
You can't get away to the beach?
Don P. :cool: