Watched a legend

boozebag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Friday night, i was away from home due to a regional meeting the next day, so i went looking for a local snooker/pool hall to have a few frames. On entering the Portland Club in Carlisle the doorman refused me entry saying it was a private event and was tickets only, i was disappointed because i really wanted a game, i asked what was going on and he said there was an exhibition between Ian McCulloch and Alex "Hurricane" Higgins. I asked for a ticket and was let in to watch. £10
I hadn't heard much of "the Hurricane" for a few years and he had been recovering from throat cancer i believe but when he came on to play he was awesome. He had a few great breaks a 73 and an 85 and played some incredible shots in an exhibition that i can only describe as amazing. He turned the clock back and a few of the older guys in the audience were close to tears.
It was an honour and a privilege to watch this great master, as he has been a hero of mine for a long time, McCulloch was very good as well.

Not a bad bonus for a night out i'm sure you will agree.

Greg

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear Alex is playing again. I have a DVD of him winning the world in 82 & its truly some amazing snooker. IMHO he revolunionized the game & paved the way for players like Ronnie O.

boozebag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, even though he is 58 now he played some great stuff, i heard he qualified for the final televised stages of a major tournament recently and failed to show up. He was the original snooker bad boy.