What is the best machine to do spliced points?

LosOsosCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get another machine to cut in points. Right now I have the deluxe cue smith and it works fine. What I want now is a machine that is dedicated to just doing points and stich rings if possible(not my main priority). I was thinking about gettting a milling machine but I dont want to get it if there is somthing out there that could do the job at around the same price. Im looking for somthing around 1000-1500. Any imput would be great.

Thanks
Dustin

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a Mill Drill from Enco or Grizzly that has R8 collets and 16" or more bed travel. Then put a indexing head and tailstock on it. You can also set a small lathe up for doing it, but i would prefer the milling machine.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Think Milling machine.
Think 1" shank cutters.
...then go to ebay or a surplus equipment dealer/auctioneer. Just saw a number of Vert. mills that are within your specified budget. Can't recommend any as I don't know the space dimension (machine footprint) available in your shop.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Think Milling machine.
Think 1" shank cutters.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there thought "horizontal mill" for this application ? I was swearing at my little vertical mill on the weekend, wishing for a horizontal for making cuts very similar to recutting points ...

Dave

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there thought "horizontal mill" for this application ? I was swearing at my little vertical mill on the weekend, wishing for a horizontal for making cuts very similar to recutting points ...

Dave

Like this old outdated hunk of scrap? :D

Jon

P.S. Please forgive me for having that Phase II crap on there. We have around 4-6 Hardinge Indexers laying around now. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0195 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0195 (Medium).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 000_0324 (Medium).JPG
    000_0324 (Medium).JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 181

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO if you are cutting points in square material a horizontal would be the ideal machine. If you did it this way you could also cut your points so they are sharp on both ends like on a Titlist full splice. Using a horizontal you could also use very large and rigid cutters.

Last edited: