Wrap groove question

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend wants to install a leather wrap on his cue. I told him that the wrap groove may need to be cut deeper to accomodate the thicker material. My question is...

What depth do you cut for Irish linen wraps and will he need to have the handle cut deeper for the leather?

Thanks

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sliprock said:
My friend wants to install a leather wrap on his cue. I told him that the wrap groove may need to be cut deeper to accomodate the thicker material. My question is...

What depth do you cut for Irish linen wraps and will he need to have the handle cut deeper for the leather?

Thanks
You are much better off if you make the wrap groove the same size for any wrap you put on. Better to make the leather fit the groove, than to alter the cue. I have seen wrap grooves from .040" to .046". Anywhere in there works fine, just depends on how much pressing you want to do.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
grove

Ted Harris said:
You are much better off if you make the wrap groove the same size for any wrap you put on. Better to make the leather fit the groove, than to alter the cue. I have seen wrap grooves from .040" to .046". Anywhere in there works fine, just depends on how much pressing you want to do.

Ted, there may be a chance of some confusion with your statement. I understand, but our friend may not. Perhaps you should of told him .020" to .021" per side. explain that this is total depth per side and not over all. linen is normally about .021" in dia., x 2 = .042 [ over all depth, both sides]. You cut .010 and you get.020...In this case you cut in below the cues outer finish,[ top or bottom of the wrap area], too, .020" and you get .040".....over-all..
blud

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leather

blud said:
Ted, there may be a chance of some confusion with your statement. I understand, but our friend may not. Perhaps you should of told him .020" to .021" per side. explain that this is total depth per side and not over all. linen is normally about .021" in dia., x 2 = .042 [ over all depth, both sides]. You cut .010 and you get.020...In this case you cut in below the cues outer finish,[ top or bottom of the wrap area], too, .020" and you get .040".....over-all..
blud
Sorry fellows, I forgot to mention that good split leather [tiger products] comes in about .019" to .021" for pig skin. Lizard, snake, and others, i do not know what thickness they are.
Ted most likely will know.
blud

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
blud said:
Sorry fellows, I forgot to mention that good split leather [tiger products] comes in about .019" to .021" for pig skin. Lizard, snake, and others, i do not know what thickness they are.
Ted most likely will know.
blud

0.0275 for lizard.
Ed

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blud said:
blud
I am talking about diameter. If you measure the OD (outside diameter) of the cue, and then measure the OD of the wrap groove, there should be a difference of .040" to .046", depending on which depth you use.