imagine if TAR had 28,000 viewers for a match

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I was watching the rover Curiosity land on Mars today on a stream and saw that it peaked at around 28,000 online viewers at one point. I think Justin would sh*t himself if he had that many viewers for a TAR match!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the rover Curiosity land on Mars today on a stream and saw that it peaked at around 28,000 online viewers at one point. I think Justin would sh*t himself if he had that many viewers for a TAR match!

What on EARTH is the point of this nonsensical comparison?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have been saying for awhile that I look forward to the day we see 10,000 live viewers at once on a live pool feed, I think it will happen in the next couple years. The numbers for live streams are increasing that is for sure.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Fast Lenny and others who think about these type of numbers for their streams is the reason I made this comparison. The stream of the rover was nothing but a bunch of blue collard Nasa people getting excited. We couldnt actually see the rover on the stream, yet it still had 28,000 people watching.

Just saying, if they can get that many viewers, than its possible for pool.

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy the TAR matches as they become available but in fairness to the pool playing community, his marketing efforts are at best very poor.

Only the regulars at AZB will ever know that an event is streaming which can't be a huge audience to start with.

I suspect he is happy with the small successes he has otherwise he would get more involved in the promotion and marketing of his projects, that is to say grow his business like most businesses do.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
playpool2...Wow! Poor judgement call on your part, at best. At worst, your comments are out and out BS. You don't know anything about how Justin does or doesn't market TAR matches. BTW, there are almost 100,000 visitors to this site, so 10,000 would not be out of reality. If you think you could do it so much better, why don't you call up JCIN and offer your superior marketing services. No doubt he'd readily accept, since "his marketing efforts are poor at best"! Poor choice of words, imo.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I enjoy the TAR matches as they become available but in fairness to the pool playing community, his marketing efforts are at best very poor.

Only the regulars at AZB will ever know that an event is streaming which can't be a huge audience to start with.

I suspect he is happy with the small successes he has otherwise he would get more involved in the promotion and marketing of his projects, that is to say grow his business like most businesses do.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad part is that half the world was watching the moon landing. Now it's exiting to get 28,000 people to watch a man-made object land on a whole other planet. Yet Lady Gaga farts and 34,000,000 people can't wait to hear about it.

In another 100 years there will be 4 people that can advance society, the rest will just sit there and wait for someone to tell them what to do.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, to be fair, you could actually SEE the moon landing. You won't be able to see any video of Mars for a few days, if not weeks. Oh, and just FTR, Gabby Douglas was the top subject this weekend worldwide...far more than Gaga or Bieber.

Edit: My bad...they were apparently receiving pictures shortly after the Mars landing this morning.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The sad part is that half the world was watching the moon landing. Now it's exiting to get 28,000 people to watch a man-made object land on a whole other planet. Yet Lady Gaga farts and 34,000,000 people can't wait to hear about it.

In another 100 years there will be 4 people that can advance society, the rest will just sit there and wait for someone to tell them what to do.

Last edited:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch a lot of online gaming streams, particularly starcraft 2 streams and the tournaments get 10's of thousands of viewers, some of the more popular players get 5 to 10,000 people to just watch them practice, so i sometimes laugh to myself when i'm watching a pool stream and they get all excited because they have 82 people watching.

Another stumbling block that things like TAR have is that the price is astronomical compared to Esports PPV, i can get a year long pass to watch every MLG (Major League Gaming) event for $29.95. I understand that if you only get 200 viewers you have to charge those 200 people more than if you had 5000 just to break even, but i hope that if TAR keeps with their bar promotions like they did last time that eventually more people will know they exist and thus more people will buy to watch at home and that at some point the prices will start going down which will lead to even more buyers/viewers.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

What would you suggest ? Borrowing some money for billboard ads? Perhaps a TV commercial to reach all of those millions of people just waiting to pay to watch pool on a computer?

For anyone not keeping score at home....for 99.99% of the people on earth watching pool is right above watching buildings deteriorate on the excitement scale. Every May there is pro event with 5000-6000 amateur players less than a hundred feet away who spend on average a dime each to travel to Vegas from all over the world but won't walk that hundred feet and pay $15 to watch pros play.

Yeah I could do better. So could everyone else in this game from the players to the fans.

We have Shane playing Bustamante, Archer playing Bustamante, Alex playing Shane, on and on....best players in the world in interesting long format matches and no one seems to give a shit.

Where's the "billiard media"? I mean we put up all the money, set up all the matches, do all the production, create all the promo stuff, do free podcasts talking about it, have a facebook page, engage in the biggest pool forum on the planet....is it really that much to think maybe someone with a magazine or something would come along and say "Hey ....how about we tell some people about this?" But nope. Better off doing another table issue, an article about how wiley and crafty those road guys from the '40's were and six more columns about how to draw a cue ball two rails.

So yeah I suck at promotion but considering where the bar in this industry is set I don't feel all that terrible.

Edit to add: The only reason TAR is still around is because of the hard core support from a small group of people most of them on this forum. They put their money where their mouth is and support what we and others like us do in pool. To them I say thank you. I know when we make a match the first thing I think about is "Will our fans think this is something cool?" So yeah I haven't looked as hard for new people as I should but I damn sure try to give the ones we have a good product.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTB

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny and others who think about these type of numbers for their streams is the reason I made this comparison. The stream of the rover was nothing but a bunch of blue collard Nasa people getting excited. We couldnt actually see the rover on the stream, yet it still had 28,000 people watching.

Just saying, if they can get that many viewers, than its possible for pool.

THe players would also have a much bigger payday. I kno theyd be happy

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
28,000 viewers watching a free stream wouldnt change anything in pool. All we need is 1000 people on this planet who will pay $15 a day to watch the best players on earth play. I believe its doable and the limiting factor is I am still learning how to do all this stuff as I go.

What keeps me up nights is thinking "What if there isnt a thousand people on earth who will pay $15 a day to watch the best players on earth play?"

Wrap your head around that if you really want to start thinking about the future of pro pool.

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THe players would also have a much bigger payday. I kno theyd be happy

There are maybe 10 guys that deserve the big pay day. the rest are nits that won't bet water is wet with their own cash and like to ***** about everything.

I would love to see guys like shane, alex, busty, efren, daz, oscar and a few others make a ton of cash, they DESERVE it.
They are classy guys who will get in the box with no bullshit.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
28,000 viewers watching a free stream wouldnt change anything in pool. All we need is 1000 people on this planet who will pay $15 a day to watch the best players on earth play. It's believe its doable and the limiting factor is I am still learning how to do all this stuff as I go.

What keeps me up nights is thinking "What if there isnt a thousand people on earth who will pay $15 a day to watch the best players on earth play?"

Wrap your head around that if you really want to start thinking about the future of pro pool.

Hang in there, Justin.
There are now 39,143 members on AZ.....
...and 39,087 think you're one of the good guys in this game.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Regarding the landing, but when JPLs servers went down and the UStream feed was all that was running the stats were 72,000 online and 11.7 million total views.

I think those numbers are terrible for what was going on.

I can't count how many times I've been out and someone has asked me what, "TAR" is (because it's embroidered on my shirt, and I have a patch on one of my cases). I also get, "Oh, you like those crime shows" when they see a CSI shirt.

Instead of bemoaning it, I tell them what each company is, their websites, and what events they have coming up. Until the last TAR match Justin and I spoke about showing it on the big screen in my local room so people could watch. Now that he may have different prices for rooms I'll wait until he says one way or the other if we can still do that.

I don't mind spreading the word about TAR or CSI, Kamui, or OB Cues. I get nothing back from it but the satisfaction of knowing I do what I can to help them out and to continue to have the events. A marketing campaign big enough to encompass that many viewers costs a lot of money, and a lot of time.

You can help Justin out if you want more viewers and more matches.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Hang in there, Justin.
There are now 39,143 members on AZ.....
...and 39,087 think you're one of the good guys in this game.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Thanks. I agree about it taking time.

We have seen things grow. An example of that is that we used to pay the players $750 each and a hotel for matches with them putting up $10K each in the middle. Now we pay $5000-$6000 to the players with them just having to play.

We are able to do that because of two things: The support of a small and growing number of people who support pool and us plus the fact that Mark Griffin is willing to back it up. I couldn't do any of this without Mark and his willingness to stick it out and try to grow this thing.

I have never thought TAR or anything else in pool had a chance to be "mainstream". All I want is something big enough for the top ten players in the world (and one fat guy and one old guy) to make a living at and maybe once in awhile some young kid to stumble across online and fall in love with pool the way I did.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Regarding the landing, but when JPLs servers went down and the UStream feed was all that was running the stats were 72,000 online and 11.7 million total views.

I think those numbers are terrible for what was going on.

I can't count how many times I've been out and someone has asked me what, "TAR" is (because it's embroidered on my shirt, and I have a patch on one of my cases). I also get, "Oh, you like those crime shows" when they see a CSI shirt.

Instead of bemoaning it, I tell them what each company is, their websites, and what events they have coming up. Until the last TAR match Justin and I spoke about showing it on the big screen in my local room so people could watch. Now that he may have different prices for rooms I'll wait until he says one way or the other if we can still do that.

I don't mind spreading the word about TAR or CSI, Kamui, or OB Cues. I get nothing back from it but the satisfaction of knowing I do what I can to help them out and to continue to have the events. A marketing campaign big enough to encompass that many viewers costs a lot of money, and a lot of time.

You can help Justin out if you want more viewers and more matches.
Thank you for the help. People doing what you do is more valuable than any ad in a magazine or poster could ever be.