Mike Dechaine. America's Second Best Player

DefiniteHasBeen

Used to be a "Young Gun"
Silver Member
This is yet another flawed argument thread based on short race tournaments. It's the exact same as all of those idiots that still say Shane isn't the best because he hasn't won any of the handful of events he's travelled to overseas.

Would Mike play Johnny a big race for big money? If the answer is yes, it's because he either hates money or is getting staked by someone. And while I respect Bergman's and the other young guns' games, there is a whole list of guys that would horsef#$% them for the cash.

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, so was Trent Dilfer the better QB? Steve Stricker, Lee Westwood, and Sergio Garcia have never won majors but would you rather have Ben Curtis or John Daly putting with your life or money on the line?

I just get extremely tired of people saying that these "tourney" guys are the better player when it's just not the case. If the MC is based on tourney points then let that be the criteria, but don't tell me that Shane isn't better than all of these so called European and Asian champions because he hasn't won a race to 7 tourney overseas. Likewise, don't tell me that Dechaine is the 2nd best American because he finished in the top 10 of a handful of short race tourneys over here.

Agree fully. Perhaps one of the most logically sound responses on this forum. Chris Jent > John Stockton. Ha :)

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Perhaps you feel Johnny is on the stall, and that his worsening track record, including delivering zero points in the last Mosconi Cup, is something to be ignored.

no, I believe that Dechaine would get absolutely heisted if he played Johnny for the cash. That's what I believe.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
no, I believe that Dechaine would get absolutely heisted if he played Johnny for the cash. That's what I believe.

Your opinion is respected. I just disagree. Still, I'd love to see them match up. It would be a nice match to watch.

Reactions: JAM

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Playing 9 ball or 10 ball? If they play 9 ball, hire a neutral racker to make it fair.

I thinks he heists him in either. I've been wrong before, but I'd bet a couple thou on Johnny in either format as long as it's a relatively lengthy race.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you feel Johnny is on the stall, and that his worsening track record, including delivering zero points in the last Mosconi Cup, is something to be ignored.

Please tell Mike to play Johnny some push out after the break like he was offered at derby. You can come right over to the action room and BUST ME!!!

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute! Wasn't it Johnny who beat shane on the TAR table right before Shane shot mikes nuts in on TAR. Make a poll who's better Mike or Johnny and I'll take the over 70% vote for Johnny for a couple hundred.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Please tell Mike to play Johnny some push out after the break like he was offered at derby. You can come right over to the action room and BUST ME!!!

Yes, if you take Mike's break, which has been measured at up to 38 mph, away, he's a weaker player, but in what way does figure in one's readiness for the Mosconi? The fact that that's how Archer wanted to gamble with Mike speaks volumes to me. It's a bit like asking Joe Frazier to fight but insisting on a rule that he can't use his left hook. Take Shane's break away and his game goes way down, too, but so what?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Make a poll who's better Mike or Johnny and I'll take the over 70% vote for Johnny for a couple hundred.

Yes, but that's the very premise of the thread, so I agree.

My point in this thread is that dislike for Dechaine has caused many, and especially here on AZB, to ignore the fact that Mike is out-achieving all Americans not named Shane in recent major competition.

I'd go OVER on 70%, too, in a poll but what's 100% is that Mike is America's second most successful competitor since 1/1/2013. Skill level is a matter of opinion, but competitive results are not.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 9 ball or 10 ball? If they play 9 ball, hire a neutral racker to make it fair.

I think all competitions for big bucks should always have a neutral racker.

The pro players know who the best is at rigging racks before they even step up to the plate.

Of course, it takes one to know one. :D

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, if you take Mike's break, which has been measured at up to 38 mph, away, he's a weaker player, but in what way does figure in one's readiness for the Mosconi? The fact that that's how Archer wanted to gamble with Mike speaks volumes to me. It's a bit like asking Joe Frazier to fight but insisting on a rule that he can't use his left hook. Take Shane's break away and his game goes way down, too, but so what?

Yeah Yeah same shit different day. Shane is only the player he is because his break. What about the fact he don't miss a ball, does that count. I think Mike is a cancer spot on the skin of pool. He might play good but he is a SUPER!!!! D#$ K and I would raither watch a donkey shoot them in the rail at the MC then to watch Mike beat somebody.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute! Wasn't it Johnny who beat shane on the TAR table right before Shane shot mikes nuts in on TAR. Make a poll who's better Mike or Johnny and I'll take the over 70% vote for Johnny for a couple hundred.

Endurance is the key in any sports, in pool, focus power endurance is inversely proportional to age, I see older pros resist to changing the length of time it takes to obtain exact focus, therefore, Mike D being young will destroy Johnny, Earl, Efren, Busty in long races, unless he is sick or had bad sleep the night before.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Endurance is the key in any sports, in pool, focus power endurance is inversely proportional to age, I see older pros resist to changing the length of time it takes to obtain exact focus, therefore, Mike D being young will destroy Johnny, Earl, Eften, Busty in long races, unless he is sick or had bad sleep the night before.

Mike beat Busti? Man I'm out of here this thread has lost it's mind.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike beat Busti? Man I'm out of here this thread has lost it's mind.
In a race to 25, score will be 12 Busty, 7 Mike, then 13-9, then 14-14 after that Mike will widen the gap final score 25-19 Mike
If they ever play I will bet $100 on this score

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Endurance is the key in any sports, in pool, focus power endurance is inversely proportional to age, I see older pros resist to changing the length of time it takes to obtain exact focus, therefore, Mike D being young will destroy Johnny, Earl, Efren, Busty in long races, unless he is sick or had bad sleep the night before.

I think that is a bit of a reach......Oh who am I kidding that is a super long reach...Mike is a great player but has little chance beating Busty and probably not Efren in any race length. MD self destructs and then acts like an ass, that's his MO. Busty is a stone cold killer for the money.

As far as this thread goes I guess the OP is right about recent tourney finishes but I don't think he really thinks that Mike is the second best skill wise.....At least I hope not.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
/////////////////////Since Mark Wilson was given the Mosconi captaincy the Winds of Change are blowing through the game and there is a spirit of optimism in the air, a sense of anticipation as people await the announcement of The Wilson Warriors.

How about this combination
Shane or Dechaine but not both
Brandon Shuff - no longer the novice he can cement himself into a long Mosconi future
Justin Bergman - Will be a powerhouse by December
John Schmidt - a surprise choice? But he would be the anchorman and would not fold under pressure. A perfect foil for Justin
and Fifth place player Oscar Dominguez - just moving into his prime.

But Mark should have an eight man squad until deep into the year keeping the pressure on those five. So I would have
Joey Gray - very competitive and under Mark's guidance he will leapfrog over other candidates
Corey Deuel (a pace car),
and Skylar Woodward - making a late run fo the line with a great cue action. When the final five are chosen Mark should find a way for all eight to be in Blackpool.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that is a bit of a reach......Oh who am I kidding that is a super long reach...Mike is a great player but has little chance beating Busty and probably not Efren in any race length. MD self destructs and then acts like an ass, that's his MO. Busty is a stone cold killer for the money.

As far as this thread goes I guess the OP is right about recent tourney finishes but I don't think he really thinks that Mike is the second best skill wise.....At least I hope not.

He has no chance with SVB, Dennis, Thorsten, DAZ, I am only saying older players have no chance with Mike on long races.

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
He has no chance with SVB, Dennis, Thorsten, DAZ, I am only saying older players have no chance with Mike on long races.

Busty and Efren have a real high chance of beating Mike. I would actually call them the favorite. Even if they are old. Archer would probably win to.