Mike Dechaine. America's Second Best Player

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There is no doubt in my mind that Mike is in the top three in the US right now.
The way he played last night solidified my hunch. Yes it was Mike's backyard and Mike's table but the way he played proved to me that the naysayers have gotten to him as have some of the defeats he has taken from Shane. These are the things that we use to drive ourselves to the next level.

Its the haters and the doubters that are making Mike better and better. As for his character and the way he interacts with others.....he will improve those skills also.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rankings

Trying to rank these guys is impossible and extremely opinionated. They don't compete in the same number of events, same events, against the exact same competition, etc. The best team in any sport is not always the team that wins the championship. It could be but doesn't have to be . Could just be the hottest team or the team with the best draw. Pool has no league, no standards, no stats.

It is just like when the geniuses try to vote for the all star game, hall of fame etc..

Shane is clearly the best American I think everyone will agree. Then it really only makes sense to try and put them in tiers.

Most I think would say Johnny is tier two. Tier Three will consist of a lot of players and a lot of arguments. They can all play, can all win on any given day, and all would be the underdog against 10-20 people easily world wide.

Other factors:
practice-they all say they don't
gambling vs tournament
sleep deprivation
money problems
right mixture
travel / jet leg
playing on fav equip or not
savers
how crazy the woman / women are in their lives

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has a streak, and some streaks last longer than others. Though Shane may be in the prime of his streak, players like Justin Bergman and Skyler are just beginning theirs.

Mike Dechaine has a strong following in the Northeast region of the United States, which is where he hails from. That is most likely because people there actually *know* him.

You can't judge a book by the cover, and action speaks louder than words. :)

and that is why most dont like Mike. they dont call him dooochaine for nothing

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and that is why most dont like Mike. they dont call him dooochaine for nothing

I don't dislike Mike, but I don't enjoy watching him play, either. He shoots too hard all the time, and relies on his superlative shotmaking to get by. There is just no delicacy or subtlety to his game like Shane or Earl have. Shane and Earl (and many others) are complete players. Mike still has far to go.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I know for a fact that Mike would play Johnny and bet at least a few thousand of his own. If this happens I'd love to get odds on the money and take fathead.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Also I bet much agree that tournament wise, Mike always finishes high and out performs. But he also dogs is once in a while and people don't seem to take him serous because of that. Guess that's good for him.

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still doesn't deem him 2nd best in our country. Back when Earl was number one Johnny 2 or vice versa or whomever lead the country - the second best was winning tournaments not finishing high or 7th place or beating the number one on the winners side yet finishing 5th 6th.

This is The United States! Win or go home! In pool unless you win it doesn't mean anything there's no glory for finishing high. If he doesn't get a US Open 9, DCC or the WPA in the next 3 years he'll never get one. Forget about USO 10B or 1P! Although I would love to see him get a major, I would not put a dollar on him.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Not a big supporter, heck, I just don't like the guy. His break down n the mosconi cup was horrific.

That being said, I think he deserves a shot at the team. No one is immune to pressure. It's just easier to point fingers and confirm ur doubts about a guy when u don't Iike him.

If I was choosing the team he would get a shot but there would have to be some kind of proving ground for me. Like he would have to prove to me and the rest of the team he belongs. Might not even be a pool game or tournament. Just a simple test to see if he could handle a high pressure situation.

He has earned a shot based on performance output but, he's gotta prove that his heart is bigger than his ego and that he won't let his team down.

I mean we've gone by credentials before and look where that got us?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Still doesn't deem him 2nd best in our country. Back when Earl was number one Johnny 2 or vice versa or whomever lead the country - the second best was winning tournaments not finishing high or 7th place or beating the number one on the winners side yet finishing 5th 6th.

This is The United States! Win or go home! In pool unless you win it doesn't mean anything there's no glory for finishing high. If he doesn't get a US Open 9, DCC or the WPA in the next 3 years he'll never get one. Forget about USO 10B or 1P! Although I would love to see him get a major, I would not put a dollar on him.

Is winning the Ultimate 10 Ball major enough?

I didnt read the posts here, but am sure its full of people knocking Mike. I like the man and his game. So would one of you please take me up on my bets below?

After the brackets are posted I will make my bet offer for Mike winning the event.

I always felt that if you are willing to knock someone's game, you dam well be better to either play them for the cash or bet against them. No offense, but if you are not willing to put money on it, I don't care to here the negative opinions of this player.

Anybody thinking Mike wont beat Earl again or take this event down PLEASE come to thr action room and bet me. I will take Mike over Earl if they play again and its streamed. Once the brackets are posted I will take Mike to go farther than Earl or we can bet Mike winning with odds. I will go 200 on each bet.

I like to make predictions like anyone else. If you think someone got lucky ,you should bdt against them.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all competitions for big bucks should always have a neutral racker.

The pro players know who the best is at rigging racks before they even step up to the plate.

Of course, it takes one to know one. :D

Two decades ago, my friend rigged the rack on your Man ( Keith ). Your Man checked the rack and asked for the rerack. My friend reracked and did the thing he knew how to do it. Your Man checked the rack and asked my friend to rerack. My friend racked again for the third time did it it again what he knew how to do it. Your Man checked the rack and this time he got angry and took a wild swing and slapped the rack with his hand like a mom slaps the face of her step child for spilling the milk on the floor. Then the Tournament Director stepped in and racked the balls.

My friend and his very best friend were the best in giving "Mud Racks". In the olden days when Plastic Racks were used, it was not difficult to give a touch of magic on the Rack

Dechaine vs Sossei in 10 minutes on live stream bet now, you get a game on the wire

Www.snookersri.com

Sossei gets to 8 you win my 200.

Respond in thread. If not on GAL you post in my paypal in next 30 minutes. P M me for my PP email.

Come on folks lets see who had something to say with $.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill admit I didn't watch all of that match, but I watched quite a bit of it.

I wasn't impressed with either Mike or Earls play.

I haven't seen Mike play much, but he missed a lot of balls. If he was playing someone that would have been playing strong he would have been punished.

As noted in thread you cant judge everything by just one match but there is a Grand Canyons difference between Shane and Mike.

Ken

Bet now!

Sossei just won lag...you get the opening break too. Anybody.

I will bet Dechane to win it all my 100 to your 300 or my 200 to your 500. Anybody???

Window open until 11:15.

3-0 dechaine

Okay guess this match is over.

I will bet Dechaine to win it all my 100 to your 250 or my 200 to 500. Still 12 players left so its a bad bet for me...window open for next 30 minutes.