World Cup of Pool 2014(Portsmouth, UK) 23-28Sep (9ball Scotch Doubles) Winner $60K

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, England is very fortunate to have made it. They squeaked through an earlier match because of an illegal break, then barely hold off a hard charging USA team with that has been :rolleyes: Earl Strickland on the team. Hardly sounds like they dominated anybody.

It's definitely a combination of talent and luck in this kind of competition. My other half thinks they should have races to 13 if it's a Scotch doubles, not a race to 9.

I do recognize that Darren is class all the way, which comes from seasoning. Karl seems like a nice kid, very talented, but I think he needs a lesson in humility, something great champions like Darren already possess.

Shane is Shane, always perfect and always the gentleman. Whether you're a pool purist or an action junkie, everyone agrees that Shane is the real deal, and his streak of greatness is still in full bloom. How about that!

Earl still has *it* and is going to ride his pool horse out into the sunset as long as he can, much to the chagrin of those who either do not understand him or just plain don't like him. More power to Earl. He's just an unfortunate champion who happened to excel in a sport that doesn't recipricate talented players. And Earl does give credit when someone makes a good shot and wins fair and square. Again, this is a sign of a true champion. Earl is *always* in it to win in it in every single competition he steps foot in. He's not going to pool tournaments to party or find himself a lady of the night, like some others are wont to doing. Earl wants to play pool and win with all his being.

It just didn't happen this year for Team America, but let's see how the Euros do at the Open next month in Virginia. :wink:

BTW, congratulations to Mika. He is our new Hall of Famer. I still like that blondie he was playing with too. :grin-square:

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do recognize that Darren is class all the way, which comes from seasoning. Karl seems like a nice kid, very talented, but I think he needs a lesson in humility, something great champions like Darren already possess.

I'm not sure where this talk of Boyes lacking humility comes from. He's always come off well to me. Handles himself as well as most in matches and came across as well spoken and respectful when commentating on some matches this week.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure where this talk of Boyes lacking humility comes from. He's always come off well to me. Handles himself as well as most in matches and came across as well spoken and respectful when commentating on some matches this week.

There are some incidents and words spoken by Karl at several pool happenings that seemed a wee bit immature. I am sure when he matures as a great player, he will acquire humility, a trait that most champions possess. To pick fights and rub it in someone's face that you beat them and not shake hands at the end of a match shows a lack of humility, but these are may thoughts. You're certainly entitled to your own. :)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less errors by England, 2 errors by VDB and 1 scratch by Darren yet Netherlands ahead 2-1

nodejo

Registered
Im really surprised by Nick vd Bergs play. I mean he is not that famous or has many big wins but he is playing world class pool the whole tournament so far.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some incidents and words spoken by Karl at several pool happenings that seemed a wee bit immature. I am sure when he matures as a great player, he will acquire humility, a trait that most champions possess. To pick fights and rub it in someone's face that you beat them and not shake hands at the end of a match shows a lack of humility, but these are may thoughts. You're certainly entitled to your own. :)

When exactly are you referring to?

If it's last year's Mosconi with Earl, I don't blame him at all for not being the perfect gentleman after Earl's behaviour throughout the match. Giving someone a less than courteous handshake after being sharked constantly throughout the match is hardly lacking humility, IMO.

If there's something else, I'd be interested to hear about it (genuinely, as I've seen a few comments similar to yours about Boyes, so it would be nice to know a bit more about it).

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it's last year's Mosconi with Earl, I don't blame him at all for not being the perfect gentleman after Earl's behaviour throughout the match. Giving someone a less than courteous handshake after being sharked constantly throughout the match.

If there's something else, I'd be interested to hear about it (genuinely, as I've seen a few comments similar to yours about Boyes, so it would be nice to know a bit more about it).

Earl has never been the poster boy for good sportsmanship ever , his behavior is legendary ,,

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Actually, in USA vs England, I think Earl was the best of the four with this break. Darren does not play the Eurotour and is not well versed in this break. The current rule is not to my liking. Nine on the spot, break from the box, no illegal break is the best, which is what they had at the last Mosconi. One on the spot, alternate break, is also OK, but still second best.

Still, any break rule with a neutral racker is better than anything rack your own.

Your right, I couldn't get it to play yesterday but I was refreshing every few seconds to keep up. To say I was aggravated is an understatement and I was a little wrapped up in the whole thing.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it's last year's Mosconi with Earl, I don't blame him at all for not being the perfect gentleman after Earl's behaviour throughout the match. Giving someone a less than courteous handshake after being sharked constantly throughout the match is hardly lacking humility, IMO.

Think Boxing Brits in Vegas. That's all I'm going to say. :grin-square:

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neils is going to be kicking himself for a while after that one. Welcome to the John Morra Club.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about that final game! All four players got to shoot at the eight ball! Anything can happen in a simple rack of nine ball, and it just did!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did niels go for such down angle on that eight? It looked like high follow would have least come back and left long on nine.

Ultimately why nine ball has a huge luck factor. Karl Boyes got bailed out on that one.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
What happened to Holland last year happened again this year, missing at the last crucial moment. I can feel how devastating it is for Holland. Congrats to Team England A.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How exciting was that final? Did you think it was over when Darren scratched on the break, hill-hill.?
Watched it on espn3. Great coverage.
Congrats to England. Great match played by both sides.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exciting finals, for sure. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to Matchroom and Betway for making it happen. :)