What's the biggest spot you've ever seen someone lose with?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I once saw Ginky (rip) play a set of 9 ball where the guy he played had to drive the 1 ball (or lowest ball available) to a rail. Ginky won

Saw Jayme Goodwin do the same thing (Jayme got all the breaks though) guy was a strong B Player, Jayme got the geese

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest I have seen is the 5-out.

The guy that got the spot didn't have a chance.

Buddy Hall always laughed that it didn't matter how big the spot was if they never got to shoot.

I had a great player that gave out big spots tell me;

1.) When someone says, "How big of a spot do you need?" He said, "They always ask for less of a spot than they really need, and I would have offered even bigger spot than they asked for." (I always ask for a lot).

2.) Never take a spot that was initially offered.

After thinking about it, I saw Darren Everett beat a guy playing 8-ball using a mop handle. Yes, he unscrewed, put chalk on it, and played with a mop handle. He beat the other guy and he never played again.

Ken

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
After a tourney at Danny K's...

I watched Ramin give a guy the four out, playing nineball; however, really what he was playing was against the ghost that could miss..lol. Cause while the other guy had the four out, he had the breaks and bih after the breaks...

Me and my buddy Chris were laughing our asses off that this guy would play this way. He didn't have a clue.

Jaden

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kinda curious about this. I've seen people lose with some pretty big spots, but what's the biggest you've ever seen someone get and lose with?

I've actually lost getting 15-3 in 1 pocket before. My opponent wore me down after 14 hours and towards the end, I just gave up because I couldn't go anymore. To top it off, I'm not really a 1 pocket player and had only played the game a few times before.

25 - 5 one pocket given to me by Billy Stevens 35 years ago an I lost ' cheap money luckily' he probably still give same spot today!!!!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting spotted 98 balls in a race to 100 in 14.1. The guy tried 3 times and never got there.:eek: (guy was a beginner)

Another one, which is actually fairly common, is if the player misses, the other guy wins. Called playing the ghost.

I've given "30 or no-count" in a race to 100 in 14.1 before, and I've outrun it. (My opponent was an APA 6 in 8-ball, but not experienced in 14.1.)

In 1p, I've given 12-6 and also outran that (different opponent, approximately same skill level).

-Sean

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a weak player, I learned years ago that anyone offering me a spot could and would beat me, no matter the spot. They knew more about pool and more about spots, that makes the difference.

I saw a guy getting spotted 14-4. They were playing one pocket on a 9 foot Diamond, a table both of them played often. Down $1500, he asked for one last game, double or nothing, even though it was the other guy's break.

So the guy who was ahead the $1500 broke the balls, made one on the break, and proceeded to run 13 and out to take that final double-or-nothing game.

It was no hustle at all, the loser originally made the game and felt he should win. He used his money to gamble like it was free water coming out of a public tap. He actually was the first guy I ever met who truly had more money than sense. But he was a great competitor and great person and very generous. And he was back in action the next day. A three grand loss was no big hit to his bankroll.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple gimmick games I’ve played.

In 8-Ball, my opponent gets the break and only has to make the 8. So, if he makes a ball on the break, he can shoot directly at the 8 and any turn at the table there-after he shoots at the 8. Otherwise, I have make all the other balls, in no particular order, pocketing the 8 last.

Played 9-ball with a guy where the rails were his pockets. That was exciting.

Another 9-ball game I played where I spotted my opponent the 7, 8 & 9, but he could only shoot them in one of the corner pockets and I could not shoot any of them in his pocket. I ended up not liking this game.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
I saw a short stop give a bad player the 2 out and the breaks (9ball) on a bar table and win... two $100 race to 7 sets.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The biggest spot I ever saw, 243, was lost by a guy that went by the name of "Dead Eyes" Flanagan, a portly fellow who had lost his sight, and half his hearing, in an accident at a nearby dynamite plant.
Being an avid One Pocket player, Dead Eyes challenged a local player to a race to three for a hundred. The man was agreable to the wager and asked how much weight was wanted.
Dead Eyes, being hard of hearing, thought the guy had asked him how much he weighed and said. "Around 243, depending upon the season." He lost the match in just over eight minutes and was unconsolable.
Dead Eyes later remarked. "I never saw it coming." :D

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I gave a guy the 4 out and the breaks in 9-ball race to nine. I beat him 9-2 and won $100.....pennies.
He was an APA 5 in 9 ball and no idea what my SL is.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest spot I ever saw, 243, was lost by a guy that went by the name of "Dead Eyes" Flanagan, a portly fellow who had lost his sight, and half his hearing, in an accident at a nearby dynamite plant.
Being an avid One Pocket player, Dead Eyes challenged a local player to a race to three for a hundred. The man was agreable to the wager and asked how much weight was wanted.
Dead Eyes, being hard of hearing, thought the guy had asked him how much he weighed and said. "Around 243, depending upon the season." He lost the match in just over eight minutes and was unconsolable.

Whatever happened here is not real clear to me.. 243? 8 minutes? huh?

The biggest I have seen is the 5-out.

The guy that got the spot didn't have a chance.

Buddy Hall always laughed that it didn't matter how big the spot was if they never got to shoot.

I had a great player that gave out big spots tell me;

1.) When someone says, "How big of a spot do you need?" He said, "They always ask for less of a spot than they really need, and I would have offered even bigger spot than they asked for." (I always ask for a lot).

2.) Never take a spot that was initially offered.

After thinking about it, I saw Darren Everett beat a guy playing 8-ball using a mop handle. Yes, he unscrewed, put chalk on it, and played with a mop handle. He beat the other guy and he never played again.

Ken

Lol.

Lol. You had me at portly fellow.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lost to Mike Dechaine in the following game twice and won once:
all the breaks
last 5
wild 5
ball in hand after the break
2 games to 6

I am a straight low C player (5 in apa). Played on super tight table when I lost and regular gold crown IV when I won. I lost hill hill on tight table won 6 to 2 on normal table)

If I didn't break and run (with BIH after break) I lost plain and simple. The tight pockets are too much to fade for a low C like me. I rattled too many balls and never shot after I missed.

As this has turned into a pissing contest, I'll get it back on track. How about jelly bean (or baby?). He offers women/kids 50 shots to run a rack of 8 ball. Not for huge amounts, obviously, but that shows some minerals.

I think he'll offer virtually anyone 3 misses.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best wishes and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone in Peoria

A few months ago I gave one of Peoria Illinois' better players the "Last 6 and the Break" using a magic rack. Somehow I managed to win the first set and he quit, wanting to change to HIS magic rack. My partner wanted me to play so I agreed and barely lost the second set.......he ran the last 4 racks in a row.

This was a fun test and the gentleman was a class act to gamble with, so "breaking even" was actually enjoyable.....all's well that ends well.

Best wishes and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone in Peoria, we appreciated your hospitality and will stop in again to see you guys next year.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I saw Tedder spot the "Ghost" in a race to 10. If he missed the Ghost won. Tedder ran 10 racks of 10-Ball in a row for a HEFTY chunk of change.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kinda curious about this. I've seen people lose with some pretty big spots, but what's the biggest you've ever seen someone get and lose with?

I've actually lost getting 15-3 in 1 pocket before. My opponent wore me down after 14 hours and towards the end, I just gave up because I couldn't go anymore. To top it off, I'm not really a 1 pocket player and had only played the game a few times before.

DiLiberto would give huge one pocket spots and not just to suckers.