What's the biggest spot you've ever seen someone lose with?

tradr48

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
spots

I've seen top-level play for 47 years and still find some of these "outrunning the nuts" situations hard to swallow, BUT, at the pro level it doesn't matter what you're getting in the rotation games if your opponent consistently outbreaks you. I recently heard this from a reiable source. On the road, some unknown Phillipino gave the best player in Indy the seven and last four and robbed him. Indy guy was running 3's and 4's but his opponent was running 5's and 6's and at least once per hour would snap an 8 or 10. (This was bar box action of course).

Banks

Banned
a old friend of mine said he played Eddie taylor bank pool he had to bank 4 balls and Eddie had to bank 8 in a row no count and my friend never won a game think he said playing for either $50 or a $100 a game can't remember what he told me know that he lost all he had at that game lol

Man, that had to be something to watch. I need to practice my banks. :eek:

Edit: The biggest spots I've given out and won(or split sets) with were giving the 5-out(maybe 6?) and breaks to a player that was just about to make it to local 'A' in BCA and another time when I got a 6/7(briefly a 7/8) down to playing him as a 4 in 9b. Split a couple of sets in both cases. Can't remember much else.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.I lost $1700 (Lemonade) in Marietta to a guy named Randy

Yes, I was staying with one of my best friends at that time who went to GA Tech....I lost $1700 (Lemonade) in Marietta to a guy named Randy, then proceeded to get the 7/8/9 from players, then the 8, then beat the best players even before I was finally identified.

Yeah. There is a story of you coming to Marietta, GA to bust a local top player. The story says you put on a GA Tech t-shirt and claimed to be the GA tech college pool playing champion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I read quite a few times one of the old 1P guys use to play F players and the only balls that counted for the hustler were ones the other guy made in his hole.

I had a buddy who probably couldn't beat the 3-ball ghost....
...he was offered that game where the other guy's balls didn't count...
...the man played good 1-hole.
My buddy had gone broke at the racetrack so the player told him to get
me to back him...I agreed if I could coach...he said okay.

Somehow my buddy won the first game for $100....
...second game the guy got everything wedged around his pocket...
...I told my buddy to just keep rolling the cue-ball to the end rail....
...he owed about 35 balls before the guy called a draw on that game
and walked out.

So many of the big spots count on your opponent not just playing bad
but playing dumb.

Electech

on the b train again....
Silver Member
I have 2.
First one was on a bar box dont remember the players names the player was giving up the 5out break everything counted on the break and ball in hand after the break for 100 a game. he did very well.

Second top local player when I was a kid Bruce played larry Price larry gave him the 5 ball larry couldnt shoot into the lower left corner pocket and if he missed Bruce won. Larry beat him for acouple grand

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I was staying with one of my best friends at that time who went to GA Tech....I lost $1700 (Lemonade) in Marietta to a guy named Randy, then proceeded to get the 7/8/9 from players, then the 8, then beat the best players even before I was finally identified.

Everyone here always said you beat Randy.