What's the biggest spot you've ever seen someone lose with?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Tedder must have improved a shitload since the time I saw him in Memphis.

Based on what I saw then,I'd have played him or Scooter dead even,but the bankroll was short so I didn't try.

Also,for him to have beaten Pickle out of 25k according to that American Hustlers bio,what was he getting?

I'm not saying it didn't happen,but I never heard of him playing well enough to have beaten Pickle even. Tommy D.

poolgod1

Banned
Sounds like you could have been selected for the Mosconi Cup, you play a high speed indeed! It's brutally difficult to give up that spot......especially if they count on the break.

No wild balls on break.

I gotta control the game. These are guys that might break and run 1 in 10 racks at their best. If you are 4 levels better than someone you can give the big spots.

I can give up weight because if I don't there is no action. I'm always making bad games. After awhile you learn to control things better and avoid sellouts.

It helps when playing good players too. A good set with shortstop or pro level racing to 7 might be 3 to 5 turns at the table. Anytime you turn over the table it could be the set. You have to think that c way to improve imo.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I saw Billy Peay give a banger the spot of a good hit, or just a legal shot, one time in Louisville and win.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i've seen roberto gomez play 61-rotation with someone for money. his opponent starts at the 15-ball while roberto starts with the 1-ball as usual. he still ran most of the racks.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tedder would not have had much of a chance against Bobby

Wasn't' it "Hennessee" that beat Pickle out the 25k? Tedder would not have had much of a chance against Bobby unless he was totally messed up...(imo)...which is certainly possible.

Based on what I saw then,I'd have played him or Scooter dead even,but the bankroll was short so I didn't try.

Also,for him to have beaten Pickle out of 25k according to that American Hustlers bio,what was he getting?

I'm not saying it didn't happen,but I never heard of him playing well enough to have beaten Pickle even. Tommy D.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow

Sounds like "Strong Arm John" was involved when you played Chris.....lucky guess?

John's made me give up some unbelievable spots, ones that I didn't think could be done......never underestimate "the feint factor," it's a critical part of matching up.

Yes he told him they could give it to me. I prob wouldn't lose him and his GF playing scotch. I think with the pressure just playing Chris and the heat he could put on me by himself would be tough for me to win. I heard of all kinds of spots since I met John.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Jonathon "The Shredder" Tedder

Hometown: Boaz, Alabama

Lost $30,000 to Jeanette Lee

Won $25,000 off Bobby Pickle
"If I come to your town, I'm comin' to win the max!"

This was the first time I had ever heard such a thing.

Hennessee I can believe 100%. I saw a strange "triangle" once that went like this.

Pickle beats Eric Durbin even.

Durbin spots Henny and wins.

Henny beats Pickle even.

This is why I asked about Tedder getting weight. Something seems off. Tommy D.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many years ago in Hollywood, Teddy Bensinger (the heir to the Brunswick fortune) used to occasionally come into Ye Billiard Den, a poolroom full of good players. I saw New York Blackie give him the 3,5,7,9 and the break, and they all counted on the break. Bensinger was good enough to make a straight in shot and he could break fairly well. Most of the games he did win were on the break, and if he didn't win then Blackie usually ran out on him.

They were playing for $100 a game, a huge bet in the 60's and Blackie won about $2,000. He took me and a couple of guys out to dinner afterward to celebrate and told us "If I ever lose to a bum like that I'll quit pool." I reminded him that "bum" was a multimillionaire and 2,000 was chump change to him. Blackie just laughed and said he didn't mind picking up Bensinger's scraps. Blackie was one funny guy, a hustler for life. He never had a job, other than playing pool and he traveled all over the country for over 40 years.

Blackie stopped into my pool hall in Bakersfield in the early 70's and we ended up playing Gin and Tonk. I beat him out of a couple hundred and he hung around for a month or two trying to get even :smile:. I would never play pool with him, but he hustled small money every day off the kids that came in there, giving them huge spots. I never knew where he stayed. He was a nice looking guy with a huge shining black pompadour, and a charming con man personality. I suspect he hooked up with some lonely girl.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over 20 years ago at Tight Pockets I saw Johnny Archer give a solid B player the 3, 5, 7 and the breaks in 9 ball and the other player lost. The player lost one set for $500 and told Johnny he was done. Then the B player invited anyone else that wanted the same game to line up to play. This was at a pro event and not one other pro would step up and give the guy the same weight.

He flashed as big of a wad of hundred dollar bills as I have ever seen. People offered to play him behind their backs and play with a bridge or play one handed. But none would take his 3, 5, 7 and breaks game they just saw Johnny beat him with.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many years ago in Hollywood, Teddy Bensinger (the heir to the Brunswick fortune) used to occasionally come into Ye Billiard Den, a poolroom full of good players. I saw New York Blackie give him the 3,5,7,9 and the break, and they all counted on the break. Bensinger was good enough to make a straight in shot and he could break fairly well. Most of the games he did win were on the break, and if he didn't win then Blackie usually ran out on him.

They were playing for $100 a game, a huge bet in the 60's and Blackie won about $2,000. He took me and a couple of guys out to dinner afterward to celebrate and told us "If I ever lose to a bum like that I'll quit pool." I reminded him that "bum" was a multimillionaire and 2,000 was chump change to him. Blackie just laughed and said he didn't mind picking up Bensinger's scraps. Blackie was one funny guy, a hustler for life. He never had a job, other than playing pool and he traveled all over the country for over 40 years.

Blackie stopped into my pool hall in Bakersfield in the early 70's and we ended up playing Gin and Tonk. I beat him out of a couple hundred and he hung around for a month or two trying to get even :smile:. I would never play pool with him, but he hustled small money every day off the kids that came in there, giving them huge spots. I never knew where he stayed. He was a nice looking guy with a huge shining black pompadour, and a charming con man personality. I suspect he hooked up with some lonely girl.

I didn't get to meet Blackie until he was past his prime in the late 1980's, but he was a nice guy to visit with and could still play pretty solid pool.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
Jonathon "The Shredder" Tedder

Hometown: Boaz, Alabama

Lost $30,000 to Jeanette Lee

Won $25,000 off Bobby Pickle
"If I come to your town, I'm comin' to win the max!"

This was the first time I had ever heard such a thing.

Hennessee I can believe 100%. I saw a strange "triangle" once that went like this.

Pickle beats Eric Durbin even.

Durbin spots Henny and wins.

Henny beats Pickle even.

This is why I asked about Tedder getting weight. Something seems off. Tommy D.

I'd never ask you for a line.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hand span is a brutal spot and I've seen it faded against a pretty good player playing 9-ball

Last edited:

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member

Who says he won even?

SMIBC

In orange county Ca a couple years ago a local player who plays strong gave this (APA 5) the 1 ball and the breaks playing 9 ball on a bar table. The race was to seven and he won . Funny part is the apa player broke perfect and had a shot on the 1 in the side almost every time but kept choking.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Jarvis offered anyone in Hickory NC move the 9 to the back rail to win. That was in the 90s. Winner break. Mark had perfected his rack mechanics and a bbq was in order.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I read quite a few times one of the old 1P guys use to play F players and the only balls that counted for the hustler were ones the other guy made in his hole.

That made my day. I've never heard of that before LOL.

I got beat by a local ~A player with a 20-6 spot in one hole. It was the second or third day I'd ever played the game and wasn't very comfortable.

We only played 3-4 racks like that just for fun but he beat me one of them with that spot.

I've seen one guy from here play randoms in bars and spot them every ball off the table except the 8 playing barbox 8 ball.

He won well over half of the time giving that spot.

If they made a stripe or solid, that's what they were. Or they could pick if both went. Most of the time they didn't have a shot on the 8 and he was out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not so long ago I watched Scott Frost give Dippy Dave 18-4 in One Pocket and win over 300K! And Dippy Dave knew how to play the game. It seemed like every time he missed or made a mistake Scott would run 9, 10 or 11 balls, sometimes even more. Scott definitely outran the nuts there. Billy C. was in with Scott on the money, but Scott did all the shooting.

I also remember Efren giving Amarillo Slim 17-4 and 18-5 for big money, about fifteen years ago. Slim could play, he was just old. Efren had to play great to win. To Slim's credit he came to L.A. and beat Efren at Hard Times with the same game. I'm sure he practiced a lot to get in the best stroke possible, just like Archie did with me once. Read More Pool Wars for the full story. :wink:

little willie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a old friend of mine said he played Eddie taylor bank pool he had to bank 4 balls and Eddie had to bank 8 in a row no count and my friend never won a game think he said playing for either $50 or a $100 a game can't remember what he told me know that he lost all he had at that game lol

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have some high tech disguises. ;)
sifton-disguises.jpg

Yeah. There is a story of you coming to Marietta, GA to bust a local top player. The story says you put on a GA Tech t-shirt and claimed to be the GA tech college pool playing champion.