C.J. Wiley VS Keith McCready - What's The Line?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
she LOVES pool halls

My dog travels with me just about everywhere I go, she LOVES pool halls. This is a Shiba Inu, one of 4 that I've had in the last 20 years. She's traveled well over 100k miles.

389591_445597655466276_277893987_n.jpg

I have a 13 year old Bassett Hound a Pit Bull and a Jack Russell. Not to mention a pot belly pig and a hedge hog named Harley so I usually notice when someone uses a pet for their avatar. Mighty fine looking pup BTW

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dog travels with me just about everywhere I go, she LOVES pool halls. This is a Shiba Inu, one of 4 that I've had in the last 20 years. She's traveled well over 100k miles.

I can vouch for her. She's very polite and well trained ;) Not sure how good she plays pool though.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good looking dog CJ...I knew you had some 'humane qualities' in you somewhere ! ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
like a ninja, silent, yet deadly.

Yes, she's never barked and rarely makes a sound. More of a "sweater" than a player. ;)

I think you were around when she growled outside my hotel in St. Louis. We were out in the wilderness (actually just next to a golf course) and it was dark and kind of spooky. We went in on the side entrance and there was only dim, indirect light from the parking lot. My guard was up, but I'm more concerned with armed gunmen than animals attacking.

Suddenly she stopped and let out a menacing growl. I suddenly felt like it was one of those "B" movies and a werewolf was preparing to attack. She held her ground as I got the key in the slot and it buzzed us in the door. I always joke about how dangerous she is.....like a ninja, silent, yet deadly.

I can vouch for her. She's very polite and well trained ;) Not sure how good she plays pool though.

I agree with you in general but in pool I think it's different. If you don't want to gamble with someone because you know they get chemically enhanced and play much better as a result then that's your decision. Nothing wrong with that.

One thing I haven't seen written in this thread yet is the fact that when many players get "heart", "fearlessness", and "courage" from a pill or a bottle those same "qualities" vanish when they are off the stuff and playing on the natch. Then when they step up to the table they have to deal with nerves, anxiety, fears and nervousness that we all deal with all the time. Add to this, being 25 or 30 years older and I think it's easy to see the fears & doubts rise to the surface.

I'm glad Keith is clean and he has the love of a good woman to help him stay that way. That's more important than a pool match.

ONB

I played a lot of pool straight, a lot drunk, a lot high. Drunk and high weren't enhancements, I liked to drink and get high. Years later I played just as well on the natch. Still much later than that and after some major injuries I started shooting pistol and rifle competitions. Shot against hall of famers and world record holders, former world champions, maybe some current in the big events. I beat hall of famers and world record holders occasionally, they beat me a lot more often. I did it totally on the natch since I don't smoke tobacco, never have.

Speaking of which, don't people get these same benefits you are talking about from nicotine, some benefits from caffeine too. Sugar can give a serious rush all by itself. Where do we draw the line when we say someone is truly playing on the natural?

I am against playing sports on drugs mainly because it destroys injured people and animals. It does make those that are afraid or hate what they are doing perform better, the reasons given above are the major reasons for doping animals. I raced my horses on match tracks, on the natch. Perfectly legal to dope horses and common to watch the needles come out before a race. I conditioned my horses and brought them ready to race, clean as a whistle. My combined record was 9-0 when I moved on to other things.

Playing something that requires skill and precision like pool I don't care if the other person is on drugs, gives me an edge. I have known a lot of people that thought they played better on drugs, of course they thought they were playing fantastic when they couldn't make a ball in the ocean!

Drugs can make someone or something perform to their maximum potential if the mix is right for the entire time it takes them to compete. No drug makes any horse or human perform above it's maximum potential on the natch.

Hu

I never wrote that drugs or alcohol were "enhancers" or could make a person play better.

ONB

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Not to get too maudlin SP, but I was in the same shape as you. (retired, wife still working).. Then the worst happened !..My wife passed away 3 years ago, last July, a few weeks before her 65th birthday, and our 36th wedding anniversary. She loved all our animal's too, but she was extra close to Crystal.

Since then, I have doted on Crystal, as she was my only link to the past 'good life' with Kathy..REAL tough losses !..I sure never thought I'd outlive either one of them...Sorry guy's, thats enough of this 'self pity' BS...I'm headin' down to the bar for a cocktail (or 3)...I know I'll find a few friends there, to lean on ! :eek:

SJD

I guess this is all 'NPR' stuff, but please indulge me guys..Here we are on our 10th wedding anniversary.
... (lotsa good mem's) :)
View attachment 367925
View attachment 367931

Great pictures. It sounds like you and Kathy enjoyed 36 wonderful years together, and have some great pets too! I wish you a great Christmas.

Will Prout

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pictures. It sounds like you and Kathy enjoyed 36 wonderful years together, and have some great pets too! I wish you a great Christmas.

Will Prout

Thank you very much Will... You have to be a good person, to say that to a total stranger...Much appreciated :)

Happy Holidays, to you and yours.

Dick

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great looking dog, CJ. She looks like a little Akita. Are they a completely separate breed or they a mini breed?

JAM, time to come back and show us some doggie pics and forget all this frightful baiting that occurs all the time on AZB. Don't fall for it, you're too smart (and too valuable to us) to let these schmucks have their way with your feelings. Just ignore them like the rest of us do. Their only purpose here is to get a rise out of you, so best thing is to pretend that they don't even exist.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to get too maudlin SP, but I was in the same shape as you. (retired, wife still working).. Then the worst happened !..My wife passed away 3 years ago, last July, a few weeks before her 65th birthday, and our 36th wedding anniversary. She loved all our animal's too, but she was extra close to Crystal.

Since then, I have doted on Crystal, as she was my only link to the past 'good life' with Kathy..REAL tough losses !..I sure never thought I'd outlive either one of them...Sorry guy's, thats enough of this 'self pity' BS...I'm headin' down to the bar for a cocktail (or 3)...I know I'll find a few friends there, to lean on ! :eek:

SJD

I guess this is all 'NPR' stuff, but please indulge me guys..Here we are on our 10th wedding anniversary.
... (lotsa good mem's) :)
View attachment 367925
View attachment 367931

Gosh, SJD, that is just too sad. Of course we'll indulge you. Heck, this whole thread should have been in NPR.

It'll be 36 years for us this April. God, I hope I don't have to go through what you had to. I also married a much younger woman, but there are never any guarantees that they will outlive us.

We've had some real rocky times, but having weathered the worst of the storm, I can't see not having her in my life. If she ever left me for any reason, I would want her to live on and be happy, because I just can not imagine waking up to a world where she was no longer in it somewhere.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard them referred to as "miniature akitas"

They are a separate breed called Shiba Inu, although I've heard them referred to as "miniature akitas" - both breeds originate in Japan, are aggressive hunters, accomplished climbers, and well tempered.
th

Great looking dog, CJ. She looks like a little Akita. Are they a completely separate breed or they a mini breed?

JAM, time to come back and show us some doggie pics and forget all this frightful baiting that occurs all the time on AZB. Don't fall for it, you're too smart (and too valuable to us) to let these schmucks have their way with your feelings. Just ignore them like the rest of us do. Their only purpose here is to get a rise out of you, so best thing is to pretend that they don't even exist.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gosh, SJD, that is just too sad. Of course we'll indulge you. Heck, this whole thread should have been in NPR.

It'll be 36 years for us this April. God, I hope I don't have to go through what you had to. I also married a much younger woman, but there are never any guarantees that they will outlive us.

We've had some real rocky times, but having weathered the worst of the storm, I can't see not having her in my life. If she ever left me for any reason, I would want her to live on and be happy, because I just can not imagine waking up to a world where she was no longer in it somewhere.

And I certainly hope you never have to !...There are few things in life, better than a great relationship with a good woman..You
and I were WAY luckier than most !..Very few angel's, will tolerate the wacky life of a pool hustler !...There ain't enough money in
the world, for me to trade the pictures, (and memories) that I have, for pictures of me robbing Efren and SVB, at pool !...;)

..Hawaii, 1988
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I certainly hope you never have to !...There are few things in life, better than a great relationship with a good woman..You and
I, were WAY luckier than most !..Very few angel's, will stick with the wacky life, of a pool degenerate !...There ain't enough money in the world, for me to trade the pictures, (and memories) that I have, for pictures of me robbing Efren and SVB, at pool !...;)

..Hawaii, 1988
View attachment 367949

wow. What a *great* picture, Dick. Makes me want to start a new thread and I think i will. Hope you post there.

Lou Figueroa

liakos

Banned
And I certainly hope you never have to !...There are few things in life, better than a great relationship with a good woman..You and
I, were WAY luckier than most !..Very few angel's, will stick with the wacky life, of a pool degenerate !...There ain't enough money in
the world, for me to trade the pictures, (and memories) that I have, for pictures of me robbing Efren and SVB, at pool !...;)

..Hawaii, 1988
View attachment 367949

I'm sorry for your loses! But I have to admit, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I must ask,,,, can you tell us a story or 2 about your matching up with efren and Shane?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
you coulda fooled me

I never wrote that drugs or alcohol were "enhancers" or could make a person play better.

ONB

You could have fooled me if you weren't saying they could play better.

Originally Posted by Old Nine Baller:
Old Nine Baller said:
I agree with you in general but in pool I think it's different. If you don't want to gamble with someone because you know they get chemically enhanced and play much better as a result then that's your decision. Nothing wrong with that.

One thing I haven't seen written in this thread yet is the fact that when many players get "heart", "fearlessness", and "courage" from a pill or a bottle those same "qualities" vanish when they are off the stuff and playing on the natch. Then when they step up to the table they have to deal with nerves, anxiety, fears and nervousness that we all deal with all the time. Add to this, being 25 or 30 years older and I think it's easy to see the fears & doubts rise to the surface.

. . .

ONB

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

that's what I thought kind of looks like my Akita

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-20-22-24-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-20-22-24-31.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 523

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry for your loses! But I have to admit, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I must ask,,,, can you tell us a story or 2 about your matching up with efren and Shane?

Thanks Mr. Liakos, but I only meant that as a facetious and very unlikely analogy.... I am a generation removed from
Efren, and two generations from Shane !..I have never played either one of them, and I'm quite sure if I had, I would have
gotten my ass kicked !..;)

SJD

PS..But, I have sure went to war, with a few other 'decent' player's from MY generation ! :p

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's what I thought kind of looks like my Akita

Heh, heh... nice doggie.:eek:uttahere:

Akitas are incredible dogs. One of my martial arts teachers had a huge male named Josh. First time I had a lesson with him he told me to toot my horn and wait by the gate for him to come out. He came to the gate and introduced himself, then said, "Time to meet my dog, Josh. He will want to smell you, and I suggest you just stand there and let him until he is done."

Sounded OK. He let me in the gate and Josh came running up to me and buried his snout in my crotch, sniffing and snorting like a madman for about a minute. As suggested, I didn't move a muscle. Once Josh was satisfied, he quietly walked away and lay down in the shade of a nearby tree. I proceeded to adjust my skivvies to make sure I hadn't soiled them.

During the time I studied with Danny we sometimes got into it pretty good, and one time I got curious and asked him why Josh never thought I was really trying to hurt his master. "Trust me", he said, "he knows the difference. You wouldn't be walking if he didn't."