WRISTS - The "hidden power catalyst" of a great stroke or "just along for the ride"?

Timothy Rose

Silver Member
Show some respect. You may not like what he has to say, but you haven't the sand to bad mouth his game.

Don't mind me. I'm only here to stir a little shit. :smile:

th

Timothy Rose

Silver Member
I stumbled across another real "gem" of a post from you, that I had not replied to ! (not that it matters)...I would venture to say, I have often competed with probably as many, or more, name players..than Mr. Wiley !.. Especially as it appears he was a mostly a tournament player, and a ring game addict. (except for his 'road trips'..hustling sucker's)

Let me throw out a few names of my regular 'playmates'. (not that you will recognize any of them)..Wanderone, Matthews, Allen, Kelly, Hall, Cooney, Frost, Owens, Ambrose, Heisler, Perkins, and several dozen others, who played just as good, but were not as well known..(kinda like me) ;)

PS..I omitted all the first names, just so you could hit google, and learn them ! ;)

I don't see the google thing happening .... I will keep your secret society of pool hustler your lil secret ....:thumbup:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Just my two cents here, but I always thought that the wrists were only along for the ride.
The true power in the stroke, much like the golf swing, comes from the forearms. Or, in this case the forearm.
Am I right here, or am I just as screwed up as the rest of you? :smile:

Timothy Rose

Silver Member
Do you have to search hard, to find these posts that make absolutely NO sense whatsoever ?..Or do you just keep them stored in your computer for the times you can't answer a simple question ?..You must have 'thousands' of them! :eek:

My standard reply to Mr. Rose. (I only need one) :rolleyes:
View attachment 385551

huh ....?

Do you have a question you want answered? .... you are the one in search of answers? or is it you re just trying to steal someone's fame?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many players do this simply be squeezing their hand

Just my two cents here, but I always thought that the wrists were only along for the ride.
The true power in the stroke, much like the golf swing, comes from the forearms. Or, in this case the forearm.
Am I right here, or am I just as screwed up as the rest of you? :smile:

Yes, strong forearms are important in golf and in pool, however, it's still the wrists and fingers that create the acceleration at the moment of contact.

Many players do this simply be squeezing their hand, although the wrist must be slightly cocked for this to be most effective.

I teach both ways, and generally the student will prefer on right away.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry about the SJDPMS posts

i've been weeding through the PMS posts. plus, my wrist is sprained - let's just say it was "pool" related....

I hope it was the swimming pool :)

It's raining so much here in Texas I just saw an old man building an ark.

Sorry about the SJDPMS posts, it's my dad, he's finally hitting bottom.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it was the swimming pool :)

It's raining so much here in Texas I just saw an old many building an ark.

Sorry about the SJDPMS posts, it's my dad, he's finally hitting bottom.

I must ask..What is an "old many" ??????...And, if you call me your 'dad' one more time in public,
I shall put a contract out on you ! :eek: (I'll show you what 'hitting bottom' really feels like) :cool:..
..Now leave me alone..its lunch time with the girls at the bar ! :p

View attachment 385559

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, strong forearms are important in golf and in pool, however, it's still the wrists and fingers that create the acceleration at the moment of contact.

Many players do this simply be squeezing their hand, although the wrist must be slightly cocked for this to be most effective.

I teach both ways, and generally the student will prefer on right away.

Once a boy reaches puberty he willl aquire all the wrist skills needed to shoot pool
It's astonishing to me that theres over 150 pages on the most natural simplist part of a pool stroke

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Once a boy reaches puberty he willl aquire all the wrist skills needed to shoot pool
It's astonishing to me that theres over 150 pages on the most natural simplist part of a pool stroke

I have this feeling, one stroke, that wrists really haven't anything to do with it. :smile:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
pressure, some would call leverage

Yes, the wrists are a natural part of the pool stroke.

It's all done with pressure, some would call leverage. The key to being able to do some of the extreme stroke shots is using the cue as a lever.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry Dad, it was a typo, it should say *man - an "old man" was building an ark

You're not going to torture me in the basement again are you?

filename-europe-2012.jpg

LMAO! I don't think you are that lucky. I think he will continue to "torture" you here.

Yesterday, my playing partner asked me to explain how I aimed and played again. I think he is finally seeing the light.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
we are just programmed by the world to believe lies, and not accept the Truth.

LMAO! I don't think you are that lucky. I think he will continue to "torture" you here.

Yesterday, my playing partner asked me to explain how I aimed and played again. I think he is finally seeing the light.

It's funny how the ego of pool players keep them from experiencing new, and more effective ways of playing.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the wrists are a natural part of the pool stroke.

It's all done with pressure, some would call leverage. The key to being able to do some of the extreme stroke shots is using the cue as a lever.

Yup
With the cue shaft resting on the middle finger (closed bridge) of the bridge being the leverage point. With an open bridge the "V" formed by the thumb and index finger knuckle of the bridge being the leverage point

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I try to hold the cue at the balance point as much as possible

Yup
With the cue shaft resting on the middle finger (closed bridge) of the bridge being the leverage point. With an open bridge the "V" formed by the thumb and index finger knuckle of the bridge being the leverage point

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the pool cue seems to have been designed to maximize this leverage - the balance point is also a key.

I try to hold the cue at the balance point as much as possible...you'll see this practice done with a lot of champion level players. It seems to keep my touch and feel for the cue at a higher level, I'm not 100% sure why......it just works.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick - quick question cause we're re-watching the COM right now. KK9 says you had to have known/played Grady Matthews....true?

Yes, I knew Grady quite well..If I may put my 'brag hat' on, (forgive me CJ :sorry:) here is a post he wrote on onepocket.org, a few years before he passed !..I puffed up like a toad, that he would say such complimentary things about me, to all my 1P buddies ! ;) It is post #144, in "More Chicago Stuff", and he is referring to a partner match we were trying set up with Arty B. and Cardone.

I always felt like I owed pool, not the other way around, especially the great discipline of One Pocket. I thought that maybe this match could be set up for maybe $10,000 total, so Dick and I would only have to come up with $5,000 each. Just to be Dick's partner would be an honor. My own money always played but lately I am having cash flow problems.--Of course there are other possible partners but, you guys need to understand, to me Dick is the embodiment of class and ability in a pool player.

RIP Oldtimer.. It was my great fortune, knowing you !..:thumbup:

PS..I am just waiting for CJ, to ask me if I knew Grady ? (AGAIN)...I'm sure he will ! :(

Last edited: