Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a cheap set. I tend to stand up and hold my cue when not shooting. This allows me to move away from an opponents line of sight and holding the cue is just a habit. I tend to shoot and play fast therefore I like holding the cue. In this instance, I placed my cue down when my opponent was on the 8 ball in a 9 ball game. It looked liked an easy shot and I was preparing to rack, therefore, I placed my cue down. He made the ball but got terrible position. Seeing that, I picked my leaning cue up. I was away from his line of sight and was anticipating the opportunity to shoot. Keep in mind my body is still the entire time, and I only picked/lay my cue after his shot. He was a gentleman and told me after the set, what I did was a shark move. I had no sharking intentions as I just enjoy playing. I figured as I was not in his line of sight what I do doesn't matter. Am I in the wrong? I think I play fair and have gambled for a long time in pool. This is the first time I was told that what I did was considered a shark move.

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
To some it may become a problem as some would say you were conceding the game when you put your cue down and he didn't have to shoot the last ball. As you stated yourself you were getting ready to rack, thus conceding the game, but because he missed, now you unconceed the game and finish it. It is best not to give any signs of conceding the game. I see this a lot in league play as people start to gather their quarters for the next game before the opponent is finished which can also be a sign of conceding, but most people let it go.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a tool bag. Not a shark move. A symbolic concession of a game is unscrewing your cue, not setting it down. Hell, if it sit down I set my cue down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Lol @ shark move - learn to play! If you were concentrating on the shot you wouldnt even notice whats going on.

Maybe the govt and PC police should step in to save all the crybabies that cant compete cause its not "fair"

This should be fun:grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Of course, picking up and setting down your cue when your opponent is at the table is
out of line.
..chalking your cue in anticipation of a miss is no class either.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
That's not a shark move, not a concession by any means in my book.

Scares me to think there are people that anal out there. I wouldn't bet that guy anymore. He's looking to blame his loss on little crap like that. I'd bet he gets in arguments a lot.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To my way of thinking it's a no brainer. If you put your cue down and get ready to rack then you have conceded the game. The OP admitted that he does not put his cue down while awaiting his turn at the table.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
To my way of thinking it's a no brainer. If you put your cue down and get ready to rack then you have conceded the game. The OP admitted that he does not put his cue down while awaiting his turn at the table.

He didnt say he grabbed the rack. He was also out of his line of sight. Jesus, what is wrong with you people? Guess if he doesnt normally yawn hes conceding a game too?????

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Of course, picking up and setting down your cue when your opponent is at the table is
out of line.
..chalking your cue in anticipation of a miss is no class either.

Out of his line of sight? Where do you normally play? A church? Library? Courtroom?

So many excuses

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He didnt say he grabbed the rack. He was also out of his line of sight. Jesus, what is wrong with you people? Guess if he doesnt normally yawn hes conceding a game too?????

He said "I was preparing to rack." I play strictly in poolrooms. Is that where you play? Or is it a clubhouse?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Out of his line of sight? Where do you normally play? A church? Library? Courtroom?

So many excuses

If it was out of his line of sight.....then how did his opponent know that he did it?

When it is not your shot, GIVE your opponent the table....
...voila, no social problems.

You'll be welcome at more foursomes at golf also.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conceding the game because you place your cue down? Are you guys crazy? Even the fellow in question didn't assume that. He just said it was a shark move, i.e. distracting, as if to say "You'll never make this shot, buddy, so I'm grabbing my cue." Meh...like anything else, I guess you had to be there to see just exactly what happened, but this seems a bit over sensitive to me. It's not like he grabbed the cue and jumped out of his seat in anticipation of a miss. Some people are very sensitive.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Story goes that Lassiter once sharked a guy by pretending to fall asleep. :) Someone accused me of sharking once because I shuffled in my chair between one of his shots. What the heck? My butt cheek fell asleep and I had to shuffle in my chair to change positions. It's just one more reason I don't like playing people off the street. This game seems to attract crazies sometimes.

Once I asked a friend on the tee box, "Hey I'm wondering, when you start your downswing, do you breath in or breath out?" That screwed him up for about 5 holes...we had a good laugh about it. Now THAT'S sharking. :thumbup:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your butt cheek fell asleep? Your opponent must have been an amazing player if you were sitting long enough for your butt cheek to fall asleep. LOL.

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, there seems to be opinions from 2 directions. To clarify the scene,
This happen at a poolhall. I was standing approximately 5 - 6 feet away from the table. I was standing out of the opponent's line of sight, about 90 degrees away from his viewing angle. I was standing and leaned my cue against a table about 6 inches from me on my left side. I was not aggressively picking or leaning my cue. I did not say anything while doing it either. I saw that he had 2 balls lefts and leaned my cue down. He shot the 8 and got bad position. I then picked up my cue before he shot the 9 ball. Because the cue was right beside me and I was out of his line of sight, I did not think he would notice me picking up. He did not looked like he was bothered by it as well until after the end of the game.
I stand up during play because I sit all day in an office.
I have watched many youtube games and have seen Pro players picking up their cue while seated during an opponent's shot. They may be cleaning it or shaping the tip. I guess that is fine?
I guess I am really bothered by doing what could be a potential shark move. I have gambled many different characters and had people talk, move and performed obvious sharks moves. In my opinion, unless they are physically touching me, it makes me want to play better. Because I know, that they know, I am a better player and they need to resort to unscrupulous tactics to win.
Wait, where did you lean the cue? Against the rail, or against your chair, table etc?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your butt cheek fell asleep? Your opponent must have been an amazing player if you were sitting long enough for your butt cheek to fall asleep. LOL.

Filipino guy, back in the early 90's. Back where I played in New York, there was a bit of an influx that showed up, and yeah, they were great! All sorts of characters back then. There were some native Americans that would show up all decked out. No head gear, but the hair was done up, those leggings with the tassels on them, etc etc. They'd walk around and various bit of jewelry and ornamentation would go "shink shink shink" as they stalked the table. It would crack us up because it looked all the world like they were doing a rain dance around the table. It was a fun time to be a young guy playing pool. :)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During my gambling days, moving around at all was frowned upon. I once heard of a guy that reached for his water while his opponent was shooting the 9. The guy missed and proceeded to chuck balls at him from across the room. I mean, in my opinion, what you did is no big deal but if you're playing a guy with a temper, you might consider moving less.