Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to rub it in, but it's really love your peaches, want to shake your tree. Again, no hard feelings, but this is why you don't want to get into an emperical argument with me. Maybe I could make a song out of that.

All the best,
WW

I actually mistyped. I meant to write that I recently realized it was *peaches*. I don't know why I typed "features" twice.

Not to rub it in, but this is why you don't want to get into a *logical* argument with me...Context tells a lot, and this doesn't seem to be something you look at haha. Why on earth would I type "features" in both places? That doesn't make sense. Obviously I was pointing out that I had heard something wrong all this time. I'll correct my other post.

No hard feelings here. Hope none there.

Best,

KMRUNOUT

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Dude, I'm not arguing what may have been in the script, you missed all that. What came out of his mouth is another thing, and references I've put up indicate that some heard it different than you. Refer to the post above yours. I think it says it all. Actually I think Shaw is a bit in your head.

Now let's keep this fun, OK? You got chalky hands...... You been gatherin' chalk all yer life...

I would NOT know what is in the script, never read it. Only talking about what he said in the movie, which appears everyone is agreeing it was "city hands", and then someone was nice enough to get a copy of the script to prove it.

Maybe a hearing check is in order, couldn't hurt ;) Hello, did you hear me ??

Oh, hands are nice and clean, cause I use the good stuff, it's made in a silly near Moscow ;)

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it is. IMDB knows all about movies. Googling "jaws movie script" gets you to this:

HOOPER
I don't need to pass basic seamanship.

QUINT
Let me see your hands...

He takes Hooper's hands in his own big bloody fists, and
feels them as he talks.

QUINT
Ha. City hands. You been counting
money. If you had a $5000 net and
$2000 worth of fish in it, and along
comes Mr. White, and makes it look
like a kiddy scissors class has gone
to work on it and made paper dolls.
If you'd ever worked for a living,
you'd know what that means.​

As a self described "Jaws" fanatic and expert :p:p I would like to weigh in on the debate. Robert Shaw was a heavy drinker and during filming, some of the scenes were done with Shaw full on drunk.

back in my filmmaking days, I worked with one of the original camera operators that was on set of Jaws, and he confirmed all of this. Also how Spielberg lost his cool, and was forced to re-shoot some of the scene on the orca, where Quint tells the story of the USS Indianapolis. Shaws's speech was a so slurred, much of his words were lost, so retakes had to be done. ( if you look closely, the lighting changes a bit on the different takes in the scene).

Robert Shaw, although saying "city hands" was slurring his words and I could see why others could hear "silly hands". But it's definitely supposed to be "city hands".

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
As a self described "Jaws" fanatic and expert :p:p I would like to weigh in on the debate. Robert Shaw was a heavy drinker and during filming, some of the scenes were done with Shaw full on drunk.

back in my filmmaking days, I worked with one of the original camera operators that was on set of Jaws, and he confirmed all of this. Also how Spielberg lost his cool, and was forced to re-shoot some of the scene on the orca, where Quint tells the story of the USS Indianapolis. Shaws's speech was a so slurred, much of his words were lost, so retakes had to be done. ( if you look closely, the lighting changes a bit on the different takes in the scene).

Robert Shaw, although saying "city hands" was slurring his words and I could see why others could hear "silly hands". But it's definitely supposed to be "city hands".

Your's is actually an intelligent reply, as opposed to most of the other little nit *****es here. I didn't doubt for one minute that the script called for city hands. My post was about what he said. And, as you can see, there is some debate on what Shaw actually said. In possibly a drunken moment, to which you have alluded, he said "silly hands", according to the empirical evidence. Some of the little yappy nit *****es should subscribe to ***** Flicks. They might actually learn a bit about diction.

It's no big deal. This was lunch meat by comparison to the definition of push and shove shots. Also, Shaw turned out to be lunch meat. But don't make me come over there too often.

In 1975, when most of you were drooling, some of us walked out of the theater saying, "you got silly hands, Hooper," because as you noted, that is what he actually said in the large theater, rather than what he was supposed to say.

Actually, to keep this civil, I think most of the posts on this forum can be attributed to the same thing. Most are pretty young; might not be up on all the facts.

Anyhow, yours is one of the few that set the record straight.

Yours for accuracy,
WW

***** Flicks: "You've got silly hands, Mr Hooper!"

(I can't imagine what the db's will come back with....... But they will...Trust me...)

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They might actually learn a bit a little about diction.

It's no big deal. This was lunch meat by comparison to the definition

Reading your post made me LOL thinking about "diction" and "lunch".

Many years ago I was working in a facility that passed command and control messages to ICBM sites and bomber aircraft.

One day, I get a call on the hotline from the command post and the officer said we would need to take over because he was going to lunch, but he had a diction problem and I almost thought he said "launch". When you are handling messages of this type, it becomes a big deal sometimes. I told him that he should say, "I'm going to get something to eat" the next time.

Politically incorrect joke follows. If you are easily offended, please stop reading at this point.

If you remember the Little Rascals TV show from many decades ago, you will know who the characters are.

Buckwheat and Darla were in school and the teacher asked Darla, 'How do you spell 'dumb'?"
Darla says, "d-u-m-b, dumb."

The teacher says, "Very good. Now use it in a sentence."
She responds, "Buckwheat is dumb."

"Now spell 'stupid'."
Darla says, "s-t-u-p-i-d."

The teacher says, "Very good. Now use it in a sentence."
Darla says, "Buckwheat is stupid."

Then the teacher calls on Buckwheat and asks, "Buckwheat, spell dictate."
Buckwheat stands up and says, otay, "d-i-c-t-a-t-e, dictate."

The teacher says, "Very good. Now use it in the a sentence."
"I may be dumb and I may be stupid, but Darla says my dictate good!"

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Reading your post made me LOL thinking about "diction" and "lunch".

Many years ago I was working in a facility that passed command and control messages to ICBM sites and bomber aircraft.

One day, I get a call on the hotline from the command post and the officer said we would need to take over because he was going to lunch, but he had a diction problem and I almost thought he said "launch". When you are handling messages of this type, it becomes a big deal sometimes. I told him that he should say, "I'm going to get something to eat" the next time.

Having a 35 year Pentagon career on tactical weapons, I can understand what you mean. And I can see that's why your posts are always very clear.

All the best,
WW

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Your's is actually an intelligent reply, as opposed to most of the other little nit *****es here. I didn't doubt for one minute that the script called for city hands. My post was about what he said.

Well, I pulled up the utube video with that scene, and let me be the first to say, because after watching that video from a scene in a movie from 30 years ago, that Quint, in fact does say "city hands".

I asked my teenage son to come in the room. He's never seen Jaws. I asked him to listen to something, played the scene, and asked him to repeat what the guy said.

He said, "you got city hands".

So, it's in the script and the movie, and every person that ever watched the movie says it's "city hands".

You made a mistake, no big deal, I'm sure it wasn't your first time, nor your last ;)

So, if you are so sure that you are still "right" then post it in your next reply so everyone can see it. I don't really know how to post stuff in threads, I'm kinda clumsy when I type with my silly hands :p