Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

JC

Coos Cues
Back to the subject matter.

I expect my opponent to continue doing whatever he was doing when I shot the 6, 7 and 8 ball when I'm shooting the nine ball. If that's jawing at me or dancing a jig in front of my shot that's ok. Just don't change up when I'm on the money or I'll consider it sharking.

There's an old guy on my league team who likes to put his stick in the holder when the opponent is shooting the game ball and I asked him why he does it. He told me it's because that's about all there is left anymore to shark with. Old schoolers can dish it out but they can take it too. Got to respect that.

JC

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
But will WW fold with his douche's heaven?

Actually it's all the same to me, but I think Shaw got into departing from the script a bit, and made city hands sound more demeaning by calling it silly hands instead. As you can see, there's some video and print that suggests others heard it too. It wouldn't be the first time an actor has done this. Fun metaphors though.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
As you can see, there's some video and print that suggests others heard it too.

That's because Shaw had a pretty thick accent. If you listen carefully and be honest with yourself you'll hear him say "city hands" and not "silly hands."

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That's because Shaw had a pretty thick accent. If you listen carefully and be honest with yourself you'll hear him say "city hands" and not "silly hands."

I hear you. Bit the same case could be made for the opposite, accent or not. Speakers turned up, I don't hear any hard t that would be in city. Also the fact that a couple guys doing a careful youtube immitation of the scene, hearing silly hands, suggests that it's not exactly unanimous. I don't doubt that your opinion is genuine though. Hope it's all in good fun.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disagree. Shaw utters silly hands, not city hands, regardless of what a script may say, as he may have been ad-libing, which actors often do. Listen more closely. And below are a couple more references from those who also heard it correctly.

Now regarding those obsessed with exceptions, I think it's fair to say sharking affects skilled players to a much lesser degree.

http://www.btchflcks.com/2015/06/i-...men-and-masculinity-in-jaws.html#.Vr9GFbQrKt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lEnzahxKk

Disagree with everything you say. I listened to it quite carefully. He says "city hands". Considering that this 1) makes sense, 2) is what the script says, and 3) is what it sounds like he says...I'm gonna stick with this. You are of course free to believe whatever you want.

Regarding sharking, *why* do you think it's fair to say what you say? What are you basing this on? It doesn't agree with my experience. I play in a pool room with players from C level up to top in the country. I have plenty of evidence to support my assertion that the top players are the ones more likely to complain about distractions.

We don't have to think the same thing. Plenty of people don't think the same things as me.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit playin' with yourself, Hooper! (Another line from Jaws, to refresh you.)

Yeah, sure, you were playing with me...

Even RJ, who started this by lambasting me (although admittedly funny), is noticeably absent. I suspect he has good hearing, and has researched...

No harm, no foul; it's a fun thread, like I said. But, a little advice, research before arguing with me. I don't like to argue unless I have my facts straight.

All the best,
WW

I'm kinda curious why you consider your opinion of a certain word an actor in a movie says as a "fact"? Not trying to argue...as you say all in good fun. Do you have any reason to believe this other than that it seems like that what he says to you?

It is possible you might enjoy this video. I sure did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u97o1dN4KvA

KMRUNOUT

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm kinda curious why you consider your opinion of a certain word an actor in a movie says as a "fact"? Not trying to argue...as you say all in good fun. Do you have any reason to believe this other than that it seems like that what he says to you?

It is possible you might enjoy this video. I sure did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u97o1dN4KvA

KMRUNOUT

Love this video. But I couldn't help but notice his hand gestures.

Silly hands.

Freddie <~~~ calluses made in the city

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Regarding sharking, *why* do you think it's fair to say what you say? What are you basing this on?

We don't have to think the same thing. Plenty of people don't think the same things as me.

KMRUNOUT

You answered your question to me yourself, with your last statement. It's personal experience. Have a nice evening.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you. Bit the same case could be made for the opposite, accent or not. Speakers turned up, I don't hear any hard t that would be in city. Also the fact that a couple guys doing a careful youtube immitation of the scene, hearing silly hands, suggests that it's not exactly unanimous. I don't doubt that your opinion is genuine though. Hope it's all in good fun.

Did you happen to notice the guys hands in that youtube video? You don't think that was a bit tongue in cheek there? It seemed like a joke to me...I mean, using the phrase "silly hands" instead of "city hands" *was* the joke.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You answered your question to me yourself, with your last statement. It's personal experience. Have a nice evening.

Well, no, I didn't really. I may have said something that is similar to what your answer would be, but I couldn't really know that until you said so.

Care to elaborate? I mentioned that I play in a room where the "good" players range up to top 3 in the US. There are lots of very strong pro level players there. Some of them don't care in the least, or at least appear to not care, about anything going on around them. Some very much do. Generally, when there is a complaint about sharking in this room in gambling or the weekly tourney which is super strong...it tends to be the A, Open, or Pro players. Typically the people that don't require much concentration on their game make lots of mistakes and don't play particularly well. That is a bit more about my observations.

You also have a good evening!

KMRUNOUT

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Did you happen to notice the guys hands in that youtube video? You don't think that was a bit tongue in cheek there? It seemed like a joke to me...I mean, using the phrase "silly hands" instead of "city hands" *was* the joke.

KMRUNOUT

I didn't take it that way as they got every word correct, I assume to their knowledge, with the only joke difference being tossing salads all his life. To answer your other question about why I heard silly hands, it's simply been what I heard after seeing the movie multiple times over the years. You hear city, but I hear silly, with no discernible hard t that would be in city. Other sources I've presented indicate the same. But since there is disagreement, even at this point, I can see that it should be an opinion, rather than factual. It could be that different peoples' ears pick up slightly different sounds. Hope this helps.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
By the way, great video on misheard song lyrics. I still remember being in a restaurant with Little Red Corvette playing. There was a young girl, probably 8 or so that thought Little Red Corvette was Pay The Rent, Come back! Got quite a laugh.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't take it that way as they got every word correct, I assume to their knowledge, with the only joke difference being tossing salads all his life. To answer your other question about why I heard silly hands, it's simply been what I heard after seeing the movie multiple times over the years. You hear city, but I hear silly, with no discernible hard t that would be in city. Other sources I've presented indicate the same. But since there is disagreement, even at this point, I can see that it should be an opinion, rather than factual. It could be that different peoples' ears pick up slightly different sounds. Hope this helps.

It's just him trying to do a heavy accent, that's all. It's a little misspoken.

re: misheard lyrics
I'm still not sure about that Steve Winwood song...Bring Me a Pile of Love? Bake Me a Pie of Love?

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, great video on misheard song lyrics. I still remember being in a restaurant with Little Red Corvette playing. There was a young girl, probably 8 or so that thought Little Red Corvette was Pay The Rent, Come back! Got quite a laugh.

Let us not forget the little girl who drew a Nativity scene and when asked who the fat guy on the corner was replied, "Round John Virgin."

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It does. I don't think you could explain it any better than that. Thanks!

Also regarding song lyrics...yeah that video was prettty funny. For the longest time, and I'm talking like 20 plus years, I had always thought in the Steve Miller song "The Joker" that he was saying "i really love your features...want to shake your tree." Lol only recently realized it was *peaches*. Makes a lot more sense that way lol.

KMRUNOUT

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Disagree. Shaw utters silly hands, not city hands, regardless of what a script may say, as he may have been ad-libing, which actors often do. Listen more closely. And below are a couple more references from those who also heard it correctly.

Now regarding those obsessed with exceptions, I think it's fair to say sharking affects skilled players to a much lesser degree.

http://www.btchflcks.com/2015/06/i-...men-and-masculinity-in-jaws.html#.Vr9GFbQrKt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lEnzahxKk

Dude,why would some rich white guy have "silly" hands. He has "city" hands because he's not some "blue collar" guy like Shaw who worked hard labor all his life, while Hooper was busy counting money, you don't get callous hands from counting money... thus he has CITY hands.

I've never listened to it "on-line", I'm just going by the movie I watched and heard at least a couple dozen times. I rarely get movie lines wrong. I might get other stuff wrong, but not movies ;)

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Dude,why would some rich white guy have "silly" hands. He has "city" hands because he's not some "blue collar" guy like Shaw who worked hard labor all his life, while Hooper was busy counting money, you don't get callous hands from counting money... thus he has CITY hands.

Dude, I'm not arguing what may have been in the script, you missed all that. What came out of his mouth is another thing, and references I've put up indicate that some heard it different than you. Refer to the post above yours. I think it says it all. Actually I think Shaw is a bit in your head.

Now let's keep this fun, OK? You got chalky hands...... You been gatherin' chalk all yer life...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It does. I don't think you could explain it any better than that. Thanks!

Also regarding song lyrics...yeah that video was prettty funny. For the longest time, and I'm talking like 20 plus years, I had always thought in the Steve Miller song "The Joker" that he was saying "i really love your features...want to shake your tree." Lol only recently realized it was *features*. Makes a lot more sense that way lol.

KMRUNOUT

Not to rub it in, but it's really love your peaches, want to shake your tree. Again, no hard feelings, but this is why you don't want to get into an emperical argument with me. Maybe I could make a song out of that.

All the best,
WW

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's shitty hands, people. Shitty hands. Geez. (I'm glad this thread has taken up this new issue.)