Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Don't exaggerate and maybe I won't "obsess" about exceptions.

You're wrong about the Jaws thing too.:thumbup:

I won't complain with you there. I think overall I gave enough due to those being sharked, as well as the a holes who shark. We'll call that even.

However, if you can't hear the difference between "silly" and "city," then ya got silly ears. Ya been listlin' to loud rock all your life. That loud rock, swallow your eardrums whole. Which has happened to you.

The movie came out in 1975. I suspect most of you eager debaters were still sucking fudge-cycles on mommy's lap in 1975. And the IMDB script above has the dialogue sequence all wrong, so it's not surprising it may lack on content too.

All in good fun. But do real homework, and don't be lunchmeat, ala Hooper. Those of us who heard the line in a theater knew Quint said "silly hands." I do suspect he was quick, and improvised, and everyone liked it better than the script.

All the best,
WW

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I placed my cue down when my opponent was on the 8 ball in a 9 ball game. It looked liked an easy shot and I was preparing to rack, therefore, I placed my cue down. He made the ball but got terrible position. Seeing that, I picked my leaning cue up. I was away from his line of sight and was anticipating the opportunity to shoot.

That is exactly how he saw it too. In effect by placing your cue down you were implying it was easy and he should have it, potentially pressuring him up or making him lose a little focus. He blows the shape and now has a tough 9 and you pick up the cue as if to say "that was terrible shape, this is a tough nine and you will probably miss so I am getting ready to shoot after you do", he took it exactly the way you yourself say you meant it in the quote above and it pressures him up further.

It is absolutely a little head game and as such is absolutely a shark.

Putting the cue down in anticipation of racking alone is not enough to really get on you about. Implying to your opponent that you have an expectation that he should now run out should "not" be enough to cause him to screw up, it is his own mental weakness that would cause that. But once you put that cue down you should be leaving it down.

If he blows the shape you leave that cue sitting there and let the guy deal with his issue, he is still at the table shooting. You do not suddenly grab your cue again in anticipation of shooting and start chalking your cue. That is an obvious message you are sending him that you now expect him to miss and that is a shark and it is not a cool thing to do. Well within the rules of the game, but absolutely a clear shark move.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't complain with you there. I think overall I gave enough due to those being sharked, as well as the a holes who shark. We'll call that even.

However, if you can't hear the difference between "silly" and "city," then ya got silly ears. Ya been listlin' to loud rock all your life. That loud rock, swallow your eardrums whole. Which has happened to you.

The movie came out in 1975. I suspect most of you eager debaters were still sucking fudge-cycles on mommy's lap in 1975. And the IMDB script above has the dialogue sequence all wrong, so it's not surprising it may lack on content too.

All in good fun. But do real homework, and don't be lunchmeat, ala Hooper. Those of us who heard the line in a theater knew Quint said "silly hands." I do suspect he was quick, and improvised, and everyone liked it better than the script.

All the best,
WW

I was just playing with you on the Jaws thing. Only seen the movie once, years ago. It was released 5 years before I was even born.:grin: I will go watch it again!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I was just playing with you on the Jaws thing.

Quit playin' with yourself, Hooper! (Another line from Jaws, to refresh you.)

Yeah, sure, you were playing with me...

Even RJ, who started this by lambasting me (although admittedly funny), is noticeably absent. I suspect he has good hearing, and has researched...

No harm, no foul; it's a fun thread, like I said. But, a little advice, research before arguing with me. I don't like to argue unless I have my facts straight.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...It is absolutely a little head game and as such is absolutely a shark.

Putting the cue down in anticipation of racking alone is not enough to really get on you about. Implying to your opponent that you have an expectation that he should now run out should "not" be enough to cause him to screw up, it is his own mental weakness that would cause that. But once you put that cue down you should be leaving it down.

If he blows the shape you leave that cue sitting there and let the guy deal with his issue, he is still at the table shooting. You do not suddenly grab your cue again in anticipation of shooting and start chalking your cue. That is an obvious message you are sending him that you now expect him to miss and that is a shark and it is not a cool thing to do. Well within the rules of the game, but absolutely a clear shark move.

I totally agree.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit playin' with yourself, Hooper! (Another line from Jaws, to refresh you.)

Yeah, sure, you were playing with me...

Even Chicago RJ, who started this fracas of disagreeing with me, is noticeably absent. I suspect he has good hearing, and has researched...

No harm, no foul; it's a fun thread, like I said. But, a little advice, research before arguing with me. I don't like to argue unless I have my facts straight.

All the best,
WW

Seriously man, I haven't seen Jaws in many years. I'm like you, I won't ever argue something unless I'm sure of it. All the best to you as well.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW
everything points to "city hands." The script, the context, and the fact that he says, "city hands."

Are you saying you've never heard the term "city hands"?

Freddie

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
everything points to "city hands." The script, the context, and the fact that he says, "city hands."

Are you saying you've never heard the term "city hands"?

Freddie

He obviously said city hands... "You've been counting money all your life", or something like that. I remember that off the top of my head and I haven't watched the movie in decades.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Some out there can hear apparently better than others.

Attachments

• silly hands.jpg
    silly hands.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 97

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said "city hands", because people in the city don't work with their hands doing manual labor. They sit around and count money. I guess it doesn't matter because it's just a movie, but "silly" makes no sense in context if you watch the entire scene, and "city" makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
"Silly hands" would be a good ad-lib if it were a Monty Python skit, but this is JAWS.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some out there can hear apparently better than others.

Shocking you would hang on to this. But you're right. Some of us heard it perfectly. You've simply misheard the lyrics all these years. You'll live.

Freddie <~~~ wrapped up like a douche

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shocking you would hang on to this. But you're right. Some of us heard it perfectly. You've simply misheard the lyrics all these years. You'll live.

Ah, mann, look what happened to the thread now....:eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You forced me to look up the lyrics. I'll live.