Anyone have a tap for a joe gold cue

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey live threads his shafts������

Hi Rick
I know. I have the actual correct tap. I don't share it. I've lost a grand in tooling to Cue makers. I have for example. 3 taps just for your screw. Would be fits versus correct fit. I know you get it.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Randy
It just wouldn't be me if I didn't say this. If you don't have the tools. Don't take the job.

My point is the implication being that Cog says a 7/16 hits noticeably better than the common pins out there. He must know something that Southwest doesn't. It's a pain in the ass.

Speaking of ass... Joe Barringer uses the same pin?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My point is the implication being that Cog says a 7/16 hits noticeably better than the common pins out there. He must know something that Southwest doesn't. It's a pain in the ass.

He made it bigger b/c he did not feel 3/8 was thick enough for G-10.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Joey live threads his shafts������
?????

Mike and I had some discussion what the other Joe was selling.
We weren't sure if it was a 10 or an 11 until he double checked it.

I made a shaft for Barenbrugge. Did not even have the tap. Dave was nice to send me a screw to use as a mandrel though.

His .360 11 joint screw is actually pretty nice.
And makes a lot of sense but, kinda late to switch to it now.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Randy.
It's only a pain if you plan to work on maybe something you shouldn't.
I'll explain because I would never and I mean it. Purposely disrespect you.
Proper tools are an investment with the hope of future quality work done. Will reap rewards for said investment. You have to decide what your willing to work on or not. Every Cue maker hopefully uses what ever joint screw he believes to benefit his cues construction / playability. It's that simple. Mr. Gold is a pure example of that. I am a loyal fan and friend of his. Even though we don't talk often. We've talked in person and on the phone. I respect him 200 percent. Accept don't condemn.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
What is the minor on those 3/8-11.5 pins?
I have done athat few 3/8-11 shafts and they had the .308" diameter, the same as the modified 3/8-10 pin.

Hi Kim,

I'll share some info with you so you can determine the minor of any std 'V' thread.
A std. V-thrd is also an equilateral triangle, 60* on each point.
This will be simple geometry.
The base length of your triangle is the pitch of the thread, 1/10, 1/14, 1/18, etc.
ie, 1 divided by 10, 14,18 and so on. Cut that in half. Now you have two 'right triangles'.
Using The Pythagorean Theorem, you can determine the 'height' of the equilateral triangle.
Double that and subtract that from the 'major' dia. The result will be the minor dia. of that thread.

The major of the Bludworth pin is .348". Do the math or........use this calculator. Lol

https://drillsandcutters.com/special-tap-and-drill-bit-size-calculator/

HTHs, KJ

PS. This only works on std. V-thrds. It doesn't apply to modified or flat-minor thrds

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kim,

I'll share some info with you so you can determine the minor of any std 'V' thread.
A std. V-thrd is also an equilateral triangle, 60* on each point.
This will be simple geometry.
The base length of your triangle is the pitch of the thread, 1/10, 1/14, 1/18, etc.
ie, 1 divided by 10, 14,18 and so on. Cut that in half. Now you have two 'right triangles'.
Using The Pythagorean Theorem, you can determine the 'height' of the equilateral triangle.
Double that and subtract that from the 'major' dia. The result will be the minor dia. of that thread.

The major of the Bludworth pin is .348". Do the math or........use this calculator. Lol

https://drillsandcutters.com/special-tap-and-drill-bit-size-calculator/

HTHs, KJ

PS. This only works on std. V-thrds. It doesn't apply to modified or flat-minor thrds

My Goodness, Geometry.... what's next sines and tangents and stuff?

PS you better hope none of the Aiming System fans stumble on this post :).

Dale(who is sometimes Triginometric)

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Hi Randy.
It's only a pain if you plan to work on maybe something you shouldn't.
I'll explain because I would never and I mean it. Purposely disrespect you.
Proper tools are an investment with the hope of future quality work done. Will reap rewards for said investment. You have to decide what your willing to work on or not. Every Cue maker hopefully uses what ever joint screw he believes to benefit his cues construction / playability. It's that simple. Mr. Gold is a pure example of that. I am a loyal fan and friend of his. Even though we don't talk often. We've talked in person and on the phone. I respect him 200 percent. Accept don't condemn.

You are absolutely correct, but it's still a pain. I don't mean to disrespect Joe GOLD.

While on the subject of fasteners. I'm thoroughly convinced there is a conspiracy by Snap On and the other big tool guys to sway car manufacturers to INVENT new kinds of fasteners!!!

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
You are absolutely correct, but it's still a pain. I don't mean to disrespect Joe GOLD.

While on the subject of fasteners. I'm thoroughly convinced there is a conspiracy by Snap On and the other big tool guys to sway car manufacturers to INVENT new kinds of fasteners!!!

The same could be said of SW and DPK.
Why didn't they just go with Harvey Martin's 3/8 screw?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You never disrespected Mr. Gold. The single most important thing I enjoy about being a Cue maker and a fan of Cue making is how we express our beliefs into our cues.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did a batch of 100 pins, and when I designed mine I had nominal tooling in mind. So my pins are a standard 3/8-10 thread with a root diameter of 19/64. I usually use live tooling for my joints but if I wanted to I could tap and ream the minor. The only reason I prefer live tooling is for the surface finish. The threads come out cleaner with live tooling. Where the nominal sizes is nice is when you have to do clean up after the fact. I tend to make my joints a little on the snug size and if the joint swells up from being in a humid environment it is easy to clean up the joint with a tap and reamer vs trying to chase threads with live tooling.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did a batch of 100 pins, and when I designed mine I had nominal tooling in mind. So my pins are a standard 3/8-10 thread with a root diameter of 17/64. I usually use live tooling for my joints but if I wanted to I could tap and ream the minor. The only reason I prefer live tooling is for the surface finish. The threads come out cleaner with live tooling. Where the nominal sizes is nice is when you have to do clean up after the fact. I tend to make my joints a little on the snug size and if the joint swells up from being in a humid environment it is easy to clean up the joint with a tap and reamer vs trying to chase threads with live tooling.

Then you might be in line with Jeff Olney cues. I believe his pitch is deeper than normal but McDermott and Jan mfg 3/8x10 screws are .281 minor. Just sayin.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do a flat rooted thread. I like my threads to have a little more meat than the 3/8-10 with the 5/16 minor. What I don't get is why the odd pitches, of 11 and 11.5.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I do a flat rooted thread. I like my threads to have a little more meat than the 3/8-10 with the 5/16 minor. What I don't get is why the odd pitches, of 11 and 11.5.

The modified 3/8 10 now has .308 minor. BCM's is even less than that.
The pilot on my 3/8 10 tap is only .295.

Do we really need another 3/8 10 version ?

I'm trying to convince everyone to stop using bastardized 3/8 11.
Stick to 5/16 minor.
I don't mind the .311 minor or Dave's .360 11, but those .305 or .308 minor 3/8 11 is just complicating stuff. Users try to stuff their shafts with different minor b/c they are of the same thread and end up getting stuck or busting a collar.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The modified 3/8 10 now has .308 minor. BCM's is even less than that.
The pilot on my 3/8 10 tap is only .295.

Do we really need another 3/8 10 version ?

I'm trying to convince everyone to stop using bastardized 3/8 11.
Stick to 5/16 minor.
I don't mind the .311 minor or Dave's .360 11, but those .305 or .308 minor 3/8 11 is just complicating stuff. Users try to stuff their shafts with different minor b/c they are of the same thread and end up getting stuck or busting a collar.

I'm going to do some 5/16x13 and a couple of 5/16x14 acme stainless joints and send them to Cali. :thumbup: