Calcutta Payout

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a perfect world you are right buddy. But if you're putting a lapse in integrity past a gambler, you are being naive.
"lapse of integrity" :)......I like that phrase.
Similar to not calling someone a liar...instead, just saying they "handle the truth carelessly".
Integrity? Amongst gamblers in pool rooms??
That's kind of like a "Christian lawyer" isn't it?....an oxymoron of the highest order.
Keep on truckin', happy days, and all that.
:thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else remember the story about how Jack Hines got banned from the Viking tour (I think it was the Viking tour)? He had won the previous 2 events and prior to the finals told the guy who bought him in the Calcutta he was going to dump if the guy didn't give him half the Calcutta. The guy agreed, Jack won and asked the guy if he could hold the Calcutta money to count it and proceeded to run out the door with all the cash.

To the op was the player's name Jack?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps when he realizes someone who left a bad taste in his mouth is in with him, he loses some motivation?

i dont see why the concept of a tip providing the tipper future benefit is being argued against.

Do you wanna contend honey catches fewer flies than vinegar?

Pool players aee a superstitious lot. You want your horse thinking you are a win, not a fukkin flat tire.
Interesting.
Can you explain how it might compromise future earning potential?
What's the guy going to do? Shoot badly or semi-dump if he finds out I have him in a calcutta somewhere? :eek:
Is he going to refuse to play because he notices that nit Low500, who won't toss jelly, has him in the calcutta?
(His backers and the rail bettors will just luv that one, right?)
Your turn.........

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I bought one of Canada's great players in a calcutta....some players never buy half of
themselves....and I like that just fine.....he came fourth.
I gave him some dough....said...here's some gas money....he looked at me....said...
"You're the first one to ever give me some calcutta money.".....:eek:
Lotta nits out there....if you can't be gracious when you win...you must take losses REAL hard.

I like to give something when I win...you become a lightning rod for more wins....
....and it's the right thing to do.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps when he realizes someone who left a bad taste in his mouth is in with him, he loses some motivation?
i dont see why the concept of a tip providing the tipper future benefit is being argued against.
Do you wanna contend honey catches fewer flies than vinegar?
Pool players aee a superstitious lot. You want your horse thinking you are a win, not a fukkin flat tire.
I am not 'arguing' the concept. If you want to tip someone, sail on with it. It is none of my business what you do with your money or how you do it. It's YOUR money...spread at will.
I'm arguing against the concept of 'entitlement' here.....the player is 'entitled' to nothing from me.
Whether or not he thinks I'm a 'flat tire' or not does not matter to me one bit. (maybe I should think he's a flat tire if he doesn't win?....oh yea, that'd make a lot of sense wouldn't it)
And if he loses motivation because I, the First Class Nit, bought him in the race.............then he isn't a very motivated shooter anyway and deserves to lose. (taking me along with him).
But the word gets out on shooters like that. And when they get in a tight spot every now and then, the walking sticks have a way of disappearing.
Keep on truckin'

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one of Canada's great players in a calcutta....some players never buy half of
themselves....and I like that just fine.....he came fourth.
I gave him some dough....said...here's some gas money....he looked at me....said...
"You're the first one to ever give me some calcutta money.".....:eek:
Lotta nits out there....if you can't be gracious when you win...you must take losses REAL hard.
I like to give something when I win...you become a lightning rod for more wins....
....and it's the right thing to do.
Kindly refer to post #86.
(I have more bad beat stories than you can imagine. And I DO take losses real hard. But I pay off like a gentleman, keep my big mouth shut, don't whine, and decide to make better decisions in the next race I bet on)
Keep on truckin'.....I hope you win 'em all.(except against me) :wink:
Cheers!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
low 500 you are 100 % spot on here. no entitlement for sure. people that dont gamble high or ever win big think wow and you have to pass the money around.
a tip is for personal service not because you won. but like you said do what you want with your money and dont think your views should have to apply to others.

a calcutta is like a side bet on a player neither owes the player anything. but many think you do especially the ones that are playing and think their skills are worth something.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honey.
Vinegar.
Flies to catch.

Who cares about calling it entitlement, hand job, pity...

Smiling, a thank you and a small %of your % might go a long way. Shit, what about people that witness the gesture? You might get labled as a good guy to be on board with.

Same people see you put that money deep might gonna think you arent worth the action...you will never know.

Again, i think no sharing is shortsighted, but i am realistic enough to know a tip isnt always forthcoming.

First hand...i snuck quite a few though, so i will be ok.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Honey.
Vinegar.
Flies to catch.

Who cares about calling it entitlement, hand job, pity...

Smiling, a thank you and a small %of your % might go a long way. Shit, what about people that witness the gesture? You might get labled as a good guy to be on board with.

Same people see you put that money deep might gonna think you arent worth the action...you will never know.

Again, i think no sharing is shortsighted, but i am realistic enough to know a tip isnt always forthcoming.

First hand...i snuck quite a few though, so i will be ok.

The biggest reason to never give a pool player anything is because he and every degenerate he hangs out with will then see you as a mark. I'd rather be called a nit by a jackass who insults me for not giving him money from my cut than to be called by that idiot and his friends for a few bucks every time they need some cash.

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, there is no "requirement" that you must allow a player to buy 1/2 (or any amount) of themselves in the calcutta. It is a courtesy. The guy was a total dick for calling you out online for not tipping him, when he got a jam up payday.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I have never heard of a Calcutta where the player could not buy 50% and I have been around a long time. Lol. I assume you have as well so your statement surprises me. Jay

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this and no amount of conversation will change our differences on it. That's okay with me....differences of opinion and all that.
I'd like to state that I am partners in a Calcutta with NOBODY. I'm the one taking the risk.....not the shooter, he has his own agenda to fulfill.
He deserves zero from me if he wins......unless he agrees ahead of time to pay back to me half of what I lost by choosing him (if he doesn't finish in the money)
And...there is no such thing as a "lock" when gambling in a pool room.
There's always business or pressure here and there.
I've seen too many champions miss a three foot straight-in at the most opportune moment. I saw Alex with ball in hand on the 8 and couldn't get out with the 9 ball at the other end a foot from the hole. And his recent pooching of the 9 ball in that tourney final match against Shaw was something to behold. I saw Mizerak straight-in on the out ball once and he miscued.
There are no "locks".
But I have no gripes about all that, it goes with the territory.......we have to remember this is THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN.
Keep on truckin' and good luck to you....
:thumbup:.
[/I]

So you are saying, i believe, that when you buy somebody in a calcutta you are not partners and they are on there own. I guess then you are ok if the player chooses to do the most profitable thing at the end, and look out for himself, then you are ok with that also.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And we should probably acknowledge that it is true each of us can do pretty much whatever we want in the poolroom, it is true.

But you might not get invited back.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest reason to never give a pool player anything is because he and every degenerate he hangs out with will then see you as a mark. I'd rather be called a nit by a jackass who insults me for not giving him money from my cut than to be called by that idiot and his friends for a few bucks every time they need some cash.

I think there are more people likely to willingly partner with you that outright rob you.

Or I would like to believe that...

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the wind up is don't buy guys in calcuttas unless you pay the don't rob me fee...and you will still get robbed because a pool player will take $500 today over $2000 over time.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the only reason to sell the player half is you have some protection that he wont dump at the end to someone who has himself in the calcutta and will split the works.

or if it is customary to do so at your place. and the player will put up the money immediately or he isnt in.

If you frequent the same Tourney/Calcutta with the same players, I think a little jelly would go a long way. Players often split. I'd hate to sweat a shit show of a match to take home second place Calcutta money, that I split with a friend, because my horse no longer cared if he won. Not "dumped", just didn't care.

So, my answer to the OP is, if you frequent that Tourney/Calcutta, tip is expected.

A tip is expected, even if the player is already getting 50% of the Calcutta money? A tip on top of that 50% would be expected? This is common?

Actually you clarified nothing. You are talking about 2 different things. In a calcutta you are actually partners with your horse. Keep your horse happy is the safe bet. The calcutta wasn't a bad percentage bet in this case, player in question was a lock to get in the calcutta money. And he not only got in the money, he won it all. Show some respect and love for his hard honest work, he earned it.

Okay, I think I understand your point now. So, because he was a 99% (or very high %) chance lock to win the tournament, he deserves a tip on top of the 50% that he is already getting from the calcutta? That makes sense I guess. So, if a player (who has half himself in the calcutta) is a long shot to lose (due to him going for the least amount of money, or the bare minimum), does that player also deserve a tip on top of the 50% that he is already getting from the calcutta? Does a player only deserve a tip (on top of his 50% of the calcutta money) if he is a 100% lock (or very close to that) to win the tournament, or at least get in the Calcutta money?

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a nice payday for Calcutta and the guy gave me a little over 10%

Hate to ask Walter :)

but did you take half your action?

or he was just a nice guy throwing you a bone?

low 500 you are 100 % spot on here. no entitlement for sure. people that dont gamble high or ever win big think wow and you have to pass the money around.
a tip is for personal service not because you won. but like you said do what you want with your money and dont think your views should have to apply to others.

a calcutta is like a side bet on a player neither owes the player anything. but many think you do especially the ones that are playing and think their skills are worth something.

Yeah, they are worth the tournament winnings (that is all), and 50% of the Calcutta money (if they paid half to the winning bidder). Why should they deserve any more then that?