Speed Control Tip

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best speed control tip that you have ever received or heard of? Speed control still haunts me and I am looking for suggestions.

r/DCP

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best speed control tip that you have ever received or heard of? Speed control still haunts me and I am looking for suggestions.

r/DCP

Find one that feels right to you and stick with it until you figure the speed out. Speed control is developed over repetitions with your equipment. Everyone will like a different brand and a different hardness. Ask 20 people and you'll get 15-20 different preferences.

Also, the table conditions play a bigger role.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No no, I didn't mean what "tip" is the best for speed control.

What I meant was "Advice" on how to have better speed control. Whats the best advice you have ever been given or heard of to have better speed control.

r/DCP

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
On Jimmy Reid's videos, he says he can teach anything but speed. How true that is! Critical know-how if you wish to control whitey, but it really can't be taught since it's a feel thing.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No no, I didn't mean what "tip" is the best for speed control.

What I meant was "Advice" on how to have better speed control. Whats the best advice you have ever been given or heard of to have better speed control.

r/DCP

Lots of practice. Set up practice shots and pick the exact spot on the table you want to leave the cue. Keep hitting it until you're consistently landing on the exact spot. The key word is the exact spot or as close as possible.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Divide your stroke speed into 3 or so main speeds and change your tip placement to make fine adjustments in cue ball speed. Keep in mind that with any given stroke speed, cue ball speed is higher the closer you get to center and lower the farther you get from center.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be kindergarten level points, but choosing to follow instead of draw is helpful, as is playing position into the line of upcoming shot.

Electech

on the b train again....
Silver Member
Consistently follow through the same distance depending on speed desired. I personally vary my follow through depending on the speed selected for the particular shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consistently follow through the same distance depending on speed desired. I personally vary my follow through depending on the speed selected for the particular shot.

Perhaps i am not grasping the concept of what you say, but it does not take science to prove what the cue does after contact with cue ball has no influence on the struck ball's behavior.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Electech...My tip finishes the same distance past the CB regardless of what speed i strike the CB with...from a lag to a break, it is the same. This is true for all SOP shots, but not true with finesse speeds (less than a lag).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mayoshi, I never thought about it the way you put it. Explains why I over hit my stun shots at angles at times

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing for speed that someone told me was:

Is it better to go long on the shot, or come up short for the position. Just ask yourself

that before you shoot. If I go long will I have a shot still? If I end up short, will I? It has

helped me, shoot for precision, but look to see if you are better to come up short or long

on the shot.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Visualize the zone that you need to get the cb in and try to aim for the fattest part that gives you a good shot. Try to get a good feel for how fast the cb comes off the ob at various angles and how English speeds it up or slows it down off rails. Rails provide a margin of error and good visual, meaning instead of trying to float the cb to the perfect shot, visualize it hitting the rail and coming off a little bit. Recognize how many of your runs are ruined by leaving the cb against the rail or right next to another ball

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Speed control comes down to the power of the stroke and controlling that power.

I know, I know, I'm stating the obvious. But what does that look like?

I'm trying to work w a guy on my team to use less power on his stroke.

Anyone can hit a soft shot, but can you still get cb control?

I started my teammate w a drill to ingrain low power shots.
I set-up a short shot where the cb is about 12 inches off the ob and have him hit the shot w as little power as he can and still draw the ball about 6-8 inches. If he hits too hard I tell him and show what speed I'm looking for.

Then progress, have the cb about 20 inches off the ob. And so on.

Using as little power as necessary and still get the cue ball to do what you want.

It kinda goes back to "hey, don't be a banger". But even after players learn not to be a banger they still don't find how low of power they really need.

Once you find that low power/speed stick with it. That's your baseline on most shots. Power affect english. Stay w tge same power and english effects will become more and more predictable.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago I was playing alot with a very top player. We would(or he would) play for hours( me- rack boy). He could run 10 plus racks of 8ball on a bar table like water. Also great big table 9 ball and one pocket.

One day I ask him, " What is the difference between you and a pro?"

He says the main difference is, I can put the cueball within a handspan or palm of my hand on almost every shot. Top pros can land it on a quarter.

I said, "how big of a difference can that be? A little more practice and he could be there no problem." He said it was like a good mini golfer and a pga pro. Takes 10+ hours a day against the best in the world. Many could do that and still not get there.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

r/DCP
Suggestion: lessons with Randy G and Scott Lee. They teach an analytical method to speed control.

Freddie <~~~ student

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

r/DCP

FWIW
The more the cut angle, the less control. Sometimes you may have to set up
a slightly longer shot, to get a more controllable angle. Work off the stun line.