Some news

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennifer, I did not know your father outside of this forum. We disagreed on some insignificant pool things but agreed on far more important issues. In my last private message discussion with him I could tell he was a good man. I'm glad to have had those discussions with him.

I know how hard it is to lose a parent. Just remember the good times and know he is in a better place.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father and AZ member , may he rest in peace.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a shame. Neil was open about having Stage 4, or end-stage, COPD for quite a few years. So I imagine that is what got him. He was pretty sure that a work accident with isocyanate and a job installing attic insulation were key culprits. I think he was just 63.

He certainly spoke his mind, with clarity and careful thought. I will miss his contributions here.

Condolences to Jennifer, other family, and friends.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

This is Neil's daughter, Jennifer.

He passed away yesterday (2/25/18) evening. It was my Dad's wishes that I let everyone know.

You have my sincere and heartfelt condolences.
He will be missed.
Best regards.
Joe P.

Sev

I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Silver Member
What a shame. Neil was open about having Stage 4, or end-stage, COPD for quite a few years. So I imagine that is what got him. He was pretty sure that a work accident with isocyanate and a job installing attic insulation were key culprits. I think he was just 63.

He certainly spoke his mind, with clarity and careful thought. I will miss his contributions here.

Condolences to Jennifer, other family, and friends.

If I recall correctly Neil was an electrician.
His exposure to such would have been high.
For those of us in the trades. We often have high exposure rates to substances that may well prove harmful to us further down the road.

That it is possible that his profession was the cause of his early demise makes it all the more sadder.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

For those of us in the trades. We often have high exposure rates to substances that may well prove harmful to us further down the road.

That it is possible that his profession was the cause of his early demise makes it all the more sadder.

Why I’m not playing no games in the shop.....it’s really a 900sq ft studio with one room having a bath and bed....I live there....I ain’t doing shit but tip repairs much less cuemaking or building the cabinets for a job or any of that which I can’t do outside until my central dust collection and eject is complete....I live in there and I’m not gonna be 40 with copd and whatnot because I been wallowing in dust.

I got a padna of mine from Mississippi they mill lots of cedar and pine.

Kids 27.....stage 2 copd never smoked a cigarette or joint in his life

I work on a floating bomb 14/7 full of cancer causing stuff.....I can’t control exposure to exerythjng out on the gulf but I dam well can in my shop.

Anyone who works around drywall and concrete...silica dust that has been proven to be very bad and new osha regs are our....if you are working around this you need to be protecting your health my friends.

I even prefer natural finishes and the blo/ca for many of my items I make based on feel and on the Fact thst all synthetic finishes are not good st all health wise....even poly. Stuff will rot your brain just like the dope heads with enough exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jennifer,

Thank you for letting us know. I will miss your dad's presence on AZB. He was a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable contributor to our site for many years. Even though I never met him in person, I considered him a friend.

Best regards,
Dr. Dave

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss. His passing will leave a large hole here on AZB. RIP brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true that when Dave contacted me to tell me that he and his boss were going to be in Kalamazoo for a few days. I suggested we get together and play a little pool. I called my good friend Neil, who drove down from Grand Rapids to meet up with us. We had a great time playing that evening.

Neil and I were friends from the first time I met him at Blackbird Billiards in 2007 at a tournament. I believe I met his daughter and wife that same day. We played together a few times, talked all the time online, and Neil observed me teaching in Grand Rapids on more than one occasion. His thoughts on how to teach followed mine in almost every way. He was a vocal poster, who didn't back down from views he knew were correct. He was also an excellent player, and a great family man. He will be sorely missed on many levels.

RIP my friend! :(

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I just learned of Neil's death and it's very, very sad news.

Neil was without a doubt one of the most intelligent posters on AZ Billiards. His knowledge of pool ran very deep and he always took an enormous amount time to make videos with the intent of helping others.

Neal was such a great person. I had the pleasure of meeting Neil during a business trip to Michigan a few years ago. I happened to be with my former boss and we ended up meeting Scott Lee and Neil. Neil was a fabulous player and was very, very passionate about the game. My primary recollection of that day was that Neil certainly didn't miss much.

When it came to speaking his mind, Neil never held back. He bravely debated many "political" pool topics and did so with a highly technical flair. To defend his points, he would make excellent videos demonstrating techniques that backed up his position --- something very, very few posters on here do.

He wasn't afraid to put himself out there --- he was one of the very few players to post a video reply to Colin Colenso's Potting Test, and probably posted the highest score out of the entire forum.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Neil's family. Neil was one of our best members and he will be sorely missed.

RIP Neil... Godspeed.
Dave

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He spent 10 years on a submarine in the Navy, was a carpenter when I was really little, then was an journeyman electrician, and his last job was working in insulation. The COPD started not terribly long after he got covered in liquid spray foam that had spilled.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It would have meant the world to Dad knowing how many people he had helped and touched, as teaching was one of his passions in life.