Pictures of hackwork section!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
hack job rail cloth

I came across this hack job in a pool room! I know of the guy thats going around doing this work, he has been doing this to tables for at least 25 years or so... Maybe his neck was giving him problems that day'...
-
Rob.M

Attachments

• IMG00821.jpg
    IMG00821.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,856

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
Here are some hack tables that i have come across.

the ball sometimes goes in the bucket
P1030491.jpg

P1030474.jpg

P1030475.jpg

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I really need to add some more pics to this thread.... found a few tables lately that I was amazed were even still standing when I got there... like two that never had the legs bolted on or slate screws, side by side in a rec center for kids.
I'm still amazed at the stupidity that can be encountered in the world.

levka

Registered
it was funny, nothing damaged and slate seams still in place. To OTLVISE USERS? 7 foot smart table? 2 assemblies, take off top, tilt and roll? something like that.

2vsq1jr.jpg

I wish i didn't get to deal with these situations as often.

A lot of local moving companies offer customers a pool table removal service and every time this is what happens. They either manage to get it out of the basement or main floor and bring it as it to a new house or just leave it sitting on the floor without the legs with rails on and everything. Now try flipping a damn 9' table with just another helper.

But about 2 years ago i had one job for the ages. I come to customers house expecting to move a 9' snooker table. I get to the basement and to my surprise it's a 12', full size, monster. Now, I've done plenty of those but i never had one just sitting on the floor with no legs on. Customer said that he had a dozen of his friends unbolt the legs and try to lift the whole thing. Clearly they failed and they dropped the whole thing. At that point i had to excuse myself from the room because i was literally crying from laughing so hard.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Serviced this table today after the guy called me for help. He said a moving company installed his table and his wife signed off on it when she was lured out of the room. They had this thing screwed up worse than any install I've ever seen. Pockets weren't attached, frame was never leveled, none of the slates were leveled individually nor matched up to the other. They cracked one end piece of slate and attempted to fill it with some sort sticky wax. There were shims, random pieces of wood, etc. under the slates in an attempt to level it with no apparent method to their madness. The following pictures show how bad the seams were, the slate crack and psuedo repair job and my level set on various places. They were charged $400 for this hack job. How insulting was this!?!?!? :angry:

GlazorII.jpg
[/IMG]

GlazorVI.jpg
[/IMG]

GlazorV.jpg
[/IMG]

Glazortable.jpg
[/IMG]

GlazorIV.jpg
[/IMG]

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Matching gutters with pro water run off angle built. nice table for a carnival does the ball roll a w pattern or a z pattern on a slow rool.

Nice work are those after photo's........ sorry couldnt hold it in will wait for real finish photo's.

Craig

JZMechanix

Silver Member
VINTAGE Hackwork

Hacks even existed back in the 40's & 50's. :rolleyes:
This is from a set of Anniversary rails.

Rails had K66 cushions along with the other obvious shortcomings :thumbup:
IMAG1169.jpg

IMAG1171.jpg

IMAG1174.jpg

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Hacks even existed back in the 40's & 50's. :rolleyes:
This is from a set of Anniversary rails.

Rails had K66 cushions along with the other obvious shortcomings :thumbup:

Those rails look familiar :D

If those are what I think they are, I am sooooooo glad I found out about you :thumbup:

Looks like someone put 66 cushions on the table....one good thing...it looks like they didn't cut the sub-rails....rails are going to need cut and calibrated...the wood looks pretty good from what I see.
Anniversary rails are a lot of work to get right....the table should play great if you get them done correctly.

Mark Gregory

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Hacked (literally) bolts

It's been a while and I always liked this post, so I thought I'd bring it back to life.

Here's one we worked on recently. An Olhausen table that the previous guys had cross threaded 3 bolts. One was already broken off when we got there. Another came out, but had so many threads completely chewed off that it couldn't be repaired. This one we had to grind the head off of to get the rail off the table because it had busted the insert loose inside the rail.

1-Brokenbolt_zpsb6b07d21.jpg

We broke the rail completely down, separating the rail cap from the base to get in to the t-nut inserts.

4-Brokendownrail2_zps1dbde1ea.jpg

Replaced with all new t-nuts and clamped and glued and nailed them back together.

5-Clampedandglued_zps47dddb07.jpg

Some other HACK (me) pulled chunks of wood off with the rubber, so I cut the sub-rail back to good wood and rebuilt it out to the proper depth.

7-Repairedsubrail_zps48e8ec82.jpg

Here it is with the new t-nuts, put back together with the subrail repaired and the rubber back on and flush.

9-rubberreglued_zpsb94aa214.jpg

Sub-rail depth and nose height still good:

10-Noseheightgauge_zps65c26b32.jpg

And the finished product ready to go back on the table.

11-Repairedandcoveredrail_zps643a8462.jpg

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I thought I had seen the worst table work ever in this section but I keep getting table calls to fix hacked up crap that just blow my mind.
In the pics is a 70's fibre board rail. The cushions have a stapling flap that over lays the subrail and is stapled down, the owner had no idea, he got the table off Craigslist and figured he put new cushions on it because it was a little slow.... He found add on Craigslist about a guy who did table work and he sells himself real well'
The table owner got some k66 cushions on eBay cuz it says fits most 8 ft tables'
The hack stripped the old cushions off the table and it didn't cross his mind that the k66 cushions would no way in any shape or form be proper!
The glue would not hold because he only put one coat on so that fibre wood sucked the glue into it, then he stapled the cushions on..
You can see the old staples in the top of the rail that held the old cushions in place that he just seam to leave in place.... If you was to cut the staple flaps off the top and bottom of old cushion it would measure 3/4 at the back and 5/8ths in the top and bottom! The bevel is only a 3/4" face!
- I give the owner a bid for a replacement set of rails&pockets, no way I coulda helped him working with his set of rails.. Can't believe anyone would attempt such a no brainer!
Enjoy the pics'
-
-
Rob.M
-

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357877960.216273.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357877960.216273.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357877986.442944.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357877986.442944.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,383
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357878011.002053.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357878011.002053.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357878052.791541.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357878052.791541.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,329

JC

Coos Cues
It's been a while and I always liked this post, so I thought I'd bring it back to life.

Here's one we worked on recently. An Olhausen table that the previous guys had cross threaded 3 bolts. One was already broken off when we got there. Another came out, but had so many threads completely chewed off that it couldn't be repaired. This one we had to grind the head off of to get the rail off the table because it had busted the insert loose inside the rail.

You don't have to cross thread a bolt in order to have it seize on a routine disassembly. Many times bolts just seize and take the threads of the female fastener with them or simply break off and it's no one's fault. Man made stuff is always liable to fail. Working in the automotive industry I have seen this phenomenon hundreds of times in my life with all types of fasteners. I wouldn't assume out of hand hack work was involved.

JC

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Nice work!

"We broke the rail completely down, separating the rail cap from the base to get in to the t-nut inserts.

Great job, Josh!
How difficult was it to separate the rail cap? I would think they would be glued together and must have been a bear to get separated?
But looking at the pic it looks like it was only stapled?

Last edited:

Club Billiards

Silver Member
"We broke the rail completely down, separating the rail cap from the base to get in to the t-nut inserts.

Great job, Josh!
How difficult was it to separate the rail cap? I would think they would be glued together and must have been a bear to get separated?
But looking at the pic it looks like it was only stapled?

They had a light bead of glue and were brad nailed. It wasn't hard to get them apart carefully. You can see some of the chunks off wood that peeled off with the glue, but everything went back together really well.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
You don't have to cross thread a bolt in order to have it seize on a routine disassembly. Many times bolts just seize and take the threads of the female fastener with them or simply break off and it's no one's fault. Man made stuff is always liable to fail. Working in the automotive industry I have seen this phenomenon hundreds of times in my life with all types of fasteners. I wouldn't assume out of hand hack work was involved.

JC

I agree that hardware problems can happen pretty routinely. However, with a bolt with clean threads going into the same size and thread count insert with clean threads, seizing does NOT happen routinely. There's something that causes the hardware to fail. The Hack part of it comes in when whoever runs into a snag doesn't back off and try to thread the bolt straight, or clean the cloth bits out of the threads, or replace the bolt with one that isn't already MISSING THREE THREADS from being cross-threaded before. It's a hack that sees problems like this and throws it together anyway. It's a hack that will feel a bolt start to seize, but go ahead and run it up until the t-nut busts loose or the bolt itself sheers in half.

In the auto industry, I'm sure lots of things contribute to hardware failure...rust and corrosion, expansion and contraction from the extreme heat, dirt and debris, previous hacks...etc etc etc. :D SOMETHING causes the failure. In this case, I didn't ASSUME anything. I KNOW the guys that worked on the table before me. I've seen their work. I've seen them run rail bolts up through the top of a rail with an impact wrench. I've seen them "level" slate with a level that they knew was half a bubble off. The lists goes on and on. I'm not assuming they did hack work. I've seen it first hand.

But I think you're missing the point. I didn't post this to call out or accuse or bad mouth anyone else. If calling this stuff hackwork hurts your feelings or offends you, I'm sorry. The point is, although maybe not an every day occurrence, stuff like this does happen occasionally. I've seen plenty of guys that would have left the bolts out or tried to rig something to make it half-assed work. Point is, here's a problem some of you might run into at some point, and here's what I think is the "proper" solution to that problem.

ballafish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no wonder I was missing bank shots

Pull back the cloth and you never know what you will find. Not only did this person staple upper and lower but just to make sure he added about 4 nails through a couple of cushions.

Attachments

• DSC_5384.JPG
    DSC_5384.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,188
  • DSC_5391.jpg
    DSC_5391.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,204
  • DSC_5387.JPG
    DSC_5387.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,167