Pictures of hackwork section!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Question for you Dave, just curious...did you come back and remove the cut off old leather pocket flaps, or leave them there, with your new pocket work?

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member
how often do we see this

My helpers hand was a bit sore after uncovering these rails.
IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have seen two rows of staples and some cloth but three layer's of cloth thats a true joke... Did the table play slow from the rubber to high?

Craig

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
We did one like that at the Cincinnati Christian College (or Cincinnati Christian Academy?) Anyway, it had SIX! sets of cloth underneath. I'd like to find the guy who was doing that all over Cincy and stab his hand with a staple puller. LOL It took us probably 3 hours to recover the rails. Every set of cloth had a different type and size of staple too, and of course most of them broke instead of pulled.

But...they gave us a slice of pizza, so it was worth the extra trouble, right? ;)

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Josh, i know exactly who does that all over town i see it alot. Pm me if you want to know.

Yes, I've always been curious who gets away with that kind of work. I don't like to talk bad about people, but it's also nice to know if a customer is looking to haggle over price, I can give them numbers of reputable people to check against my price, and let them know if they give me a price from someone like that guy why it's worth paying more to get the job done right.

I don't like giving away work to other guys, but I do also have friends in the business locally. Instead of just telling someone "No, I won't match that price", I can recommend a trustworthy alternative if I'm not willing to do it cheaper. At that point, I feel like I have still been helpful to a potential customer, and I hope that there's a chance they will remember that if they need anything in the future.

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
When I was doing the tables at JR Pockets last year most of the tables had 3-4 rows and multi colored felt scraps, but a couple had 5. that's the most I've run into yet. Hope I don't again actually.... wish there was a way to run these idjits out of town and out of the trade. maybe let them go work at learning a new trade. cleaning sewers or something. about all their crap work is good for anyway.lol

tableman

Silver Member
hackwork2.jpg

hackwork1.jpg

Ya think maybe they were trying to protect the rams heads from getting scuffed when players walk around the table? :confused:
Yes this table was set up NEW like this prob by a hack sub used by a dealer. :eek:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
:slap:

My new automated forum response for hacks and idiots in general:

orange-juice.jpg

CONCENTRATE

feel free to borrow it any time

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
it took me A WHILE to figure out what is wrong with that Olhausen, LOL. Until I got that the rams' heads are supposed to be facing out rather than in. Thanks to Club Billiards for Passive Ram hint :)

TheTablePro

Silver Member
An install like that kind of gives creedence to SOME sort of certification doesn't it? Good Lord....it's obvious that this particular manufacturer doesn't care who they hire for installs! I hope they are embarassed by it :shocked2:

Dartman

Silver Member
There's always the possibility that the table owner wanted the legs installed that way. Just saying.

tableman

Silver Member
SOME dealers just get any warm body that knows right from left to be their "installer". I saw some ultra hackwork on 6 tables in Atlanta last week. Wish I'd had a camera! They were set up new using silicone to seal the slate seams!!!! Interesting point table pro but no credibility. Not sure I know any manufacturers that hirel the installers. That's done by the dealers. The tables in Atlanta were Brunswicks. Think maybe Brunswick hired those installers?

Last edited:

OTLB

Banned
it was funny, nothing damaged and slate seams still in place. To OTLVISE USERS? 7 foot smart table? 2 assemblies, take off top, tilt and roll? something like that.

2vsq1jr.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
it was funny, nothing damaged and slate seams still in place. To OTLVISE USERS? 7 foot smart table? 2 assemblies, take off top, tilt and roll? something like that.

2vsq1jr.jpg

hmmm....before "tilt & roll"....better figure out how to bolt the slate to the frame of the table first....as that's what the rails do, and when you remove them....the slate is just free floating....as in unsecured;)

OTLB

Banned
I'm selling my Diamond tables so I'll be getting my chance soon enough I hope. There are also some other mechs working on this idea in the Batcave.

Now its clear why 15 lbs of torque is applied, its really to keep the slate from shifting under a much higher load when the table is turned over, not to hold down the rail for play. Now that seems reasonable, I guess. And to that end is why they also had to come up with a leveling system I suppose.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm selling my Diamond tables so I'll be getting my chance soon enough I hope. There are also some other mechs working on this idea in the Batcave.

Now its clear why 15 lbs of torque is applied, its really to keep the slate from shifting under a much higher load when the table is turned over, not to hold down the rail for play. Now that seems reasonable, I guess. And to that end is why they also had to come up with a leveling system I suppose.

So...is the same 15ft lbs used on a GC to keep that slate from shifting as well?...wrong answer buddy on the leveling system too;)