Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How do you aim bank & kick shots?
Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
philly
AzB Gold Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Pure instinct
I am a feel player. After hitting a million balls I'm getting closer to my goal. I am one of those guys that doesn't absorb knowledge from a book. I learn by doing. My advice is practice banks and kicks to get a feel for it. Make sure you use different types of english on your banks because it will alter the angle of the object ball. Sorry but I think you still have to hit a million balls.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

"Banking/Kicking Lanes" for one-rail banks/kicks
Old
  (#17)
Patrick Johnson
Banned
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

"Banking/Kicking Lanes" for one-rail banks/kicks - 10-30-2015, 08:48 AM

The simplest method I know for one-rail banks/kicks is what I call "banking/kicking lanes" - easily visualized equal-angle "reference" tracks using the diamonds. Simply imagine the reference tracks on either side of the ball you want to kick/bank, then estimate where your actual shot must go.

Here's a pic to illustrate (see next post to see how to adjust for friction effects with a rolling ball).

pj
chgo

Attachment 19833
Attached Images

Old
  (#18)
Patrick Johnson
Banned
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 08:49 AM

The most common adjustment you'll make when using equal-angle reference tracks is to aim a little short to compensate for a rolling ball's natural tendency to curve long as it rebounds from the rail. Fortunately, it's also pretty easy - just aim at the diamond on the rail rather than the cushion nose (may differ slightly on different tables).

Here's a pic illustrating those adjustments.

pj
chgo

Attachment 20230
Attached Images

Old
  (#19)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost ball View Post
Interpretation; You are not supposed to ask pool related questions in this pool forum. That is the job of Google.
Now when Sam said "off track" I think he meant you... Sam asks a lot of questions and IMO wastes time on these forums instead of doing a little research and putting that research to table time... His question was aimed at personal preferences and when it comes to banks and kicks it's more of an exact science than ones personal "method"... So YES you are not supposed to ask related questions when the question has been asked, answered, and available at anyones beck and call ALL over the Internet... right back at ya

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#20)
O'SulliReyes
AzB Bronze Member
O'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond reputeO'SulliReyes has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Hit a million banks and kicks. Trial and error. Then and only then can you eliminate the need for these so-called systems and depend on the 'instinct' you developed from hours of practice. No shortcuts.

1. Set up a bank shot and execute it. After the shot, keep your head still as much as possible to get feedback on how the shot went and adjust accordingly.
2. You may want to develop a cue action/stroke that is rhythmic and matches your natural tempo. Most of the time knowing the proper angle for the shot is not enough--having a good timing would allow you to hit the ball sweetly. That's why Bustamante's rhythmic stroke enables him to make a bank with both precision and power.
3. You may want to try your hand at 3-cushion. That's how Efren became so proficient in kicking. FYI, Efren was an exceptional 3C player back in the 70s/80s. It certainly served him well in later years.

Last edited by O'SulliReyes; 10-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Old
  (#21)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 08:52 AM

I start by lining up my internet browser - I mean shot. I aim straight for AZB - I mean the rail. Then I measure up a good post - I mean angle. I account for the CTE discussion - I mean rebound angle. Then I fire away at the post - I mean bank.

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#22)
Patrick Johnson
Banned

10-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'SulliReyes View Post
Hit a million banks and kicks. Trial and error. Then and only then can you eliminate the need for these so-called systems and depend on the 'instinct' you developed from hours of practice. No shortcuts.
Actually, systems are shortcuts. With them you might only need to hit a half million banks and kicks before "internalizing" the estimations.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#23)
beneath_the_sur
PLAY STRAIGHT RAIL
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLambert View Post
I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=406611

Old
  (#24)
philly
AzB Gold Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'SulliReyes View Post

1. Set up a bank shot and execute it. After the shot, keep your head still as much as possible to get feedback on how the shot went and adjust accordingly.
2. You may want to develop a cue action/stroke that is rhythmic and matches your natural tempo. Most of the time knowing the proper angle for the shot is not enough--having a good timing would allow you to hit the ball sweetly. That's why Bustamante is so good at banks.
3. You may want to try your hand at 3-cushion. That's how Efren became so proficient in kicking. FYI, Efren was an exceptional 3C player back in the 70s/80s. It certainly served him well in later years.
3 cushion is an excellent idea. I often spend a half hour or 45 minutes on a 3 cushion table before a big 9 ball match. It helps my kicking game and confidence in my kicks immensely.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#25)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
I start by lining up my internet browser - I mean shot. I aim straight for AZB - I mean the rail. Then I measure up a good post - I mean angle. I account for the CTE discussion - I mean rebound angle. Then I fire away at the post - I mean bank.
Now that's funny...

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#26)
beneath_the_sur
PLAY STRAIGHT RAIL
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

everyone should play more 3c and straight rail period!

Old
  (#27)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 09:05 AM

billiard systems

In and Out Position
Old
  (#28)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

In and Out Position - 10-30-2015, 09:07 AM

I walk up on any shot I intend to bank by lining up the cue ball through the object ball and noting the coming out of number on the rail through where the directly banked ball will land on the opposite rail.

That way I can reason out a solution by knowing how the bank lays.

For instance if a bank is.....2 diamonds through .50 diamond on the far rail I know all I have to do is muscle the bank with stroke. Were I playing one pocket I would shoot slower and hit the bank with inside.

Knowing where the bank lays will determine what can be done to it to make it score.

Karma is something you create!

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Acquiring Excellence In Pool Series
Acquiring Excellence in Pool-The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Google Robin E Kelly on Amazon!
Change your game for a couple of Bucks!

Acquire Excellence in Pool!

Old
  (#29)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member
(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute

10-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Thread is fixing to explode in 3...2...

Old
  (#30)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-30-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLambert View Post
I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!
CTE covers banks shots. Please don't tell me what to say when answering your public query.

That said I use double the distance method for kick shots, bank shots, and safety play.

Precision Aiming in Safety Play.

This method is very strong and it works very very well. It is an estimation method but once you practice you can get some consistently good results.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: