How do you aim bank & kick shots?

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kicks n banks

Dont take offense to the doggers on here, I would just say take a look at the Zero x free download and consider those dvds no one has made kicking and banking easier to understand. RESPECTFULLY Rico

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam,

I am not off track at all... Aiming bank shots is not as "personal" as you may think... If you're trying to find out what OTHER people do you're asking the wrong question... Who cares.. It doesn't matter.. Banking shots is FINITE. Either you learn to bank or you don't... Anyone who wants to learn how to bank needs only to follow the basic methods which happen to be discussed ALL OVER THE INTERNET, hit tons of balls, and if possible watch some great bank players... The rest of the conversation is pointless...

I always love when the elitist chime in.

Everyone needs to start somewhere and starting with a good foundation is better then just winging it.

You will learn a lot more and a lot quicker having someone guide you than you will sitting at the table trying to figure this stuff out yourself. Eventually you will learn it on your own by winging it, but why not have some one that has been there and done that teach you in a 1 hour video or short explanation than you spending days at the table trying to figure it out for yourself.

I personally would recommend Tor's stuff. I would also recommend Dr. Dave's material.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most common adjustment you'll make when using equal-angle reference tracks is to aim a little short to compensate for a rolling ball's natural tendency to curve long as it rebounds from the rail. Fortunately, it's also pretty easy - just aim at the diamond on the rail rather than the cushion nose (may differ slightly on different tables).

Here's a pic illustrating those adjustments.

pj
chgo

View attachment 20230

Interesting that your picture says from near rail gutter to far rail diamond, I've never seen that before. I've always thought about it as diamond to diamond (which would be even shorter than gutter to diamond).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Interesting that your picture says from near rail gutter to far rail diamond, I've never seen that before. I've always thought about it as diamond to diamond (which would be even shorter than gutter to diamond).
Near gutter to far diamond is remarkably accurate for the tables I usually play on (Brunswicks with worn 860), but diamond to diamond might be better depending on your equipment (slicker cloth, for instance).

By the way, that adjustment is for a rolling ball with no side spin.

pj
chgo

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't claim to make kicking and banking easier to understand...

Dont take offense to the doggers on here, I would just say take a look at the Zero x free download and consider those dvds no one has made kicking and banking easier to understand. RESPECTFULLY Rico

but i'll definitely make anyone with the inclination to get better at kicking and banking better at it...

jaden

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
No he wasn't. The OP asked that it not become a CTE debate. And you're doing a remarkably good job of not turning it into one.

Well... perhaps that's because you've not yet made any completely outrages claims.

Best Wishes.

PS I could critique some of the videos though, but this is certainly not the time nor place.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well... perhaps that's because you've not yet made any completely outrages claims.

Best Wishes.

PS I could critique some of the videos though, but this is certainly not the time nor place.

I don't know what you would critique. All videos from anyone show is a person claiming to use a method, demonstrating themselves using that method and what the results are.

The viewer has the choice to try out the methods being demonstrated and see for themselves if they like them.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Banking with the Beard help me understand the use of speed and english in banking and kicking.

I usually use the mirror system for kicks and banks, and adopt a more upright stance to see the path.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
How i bank.
Fire it at the rail.

See where it goes. Adjust.

Fire it at the rail again. (This time, with some confidence)

Voila

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore the bitter folks and keep learning Sam.

I think most people go by feel but learning with a system to develop that feel can be helpful. For bank shots I used to picture a table twice as wide/long and aim for the far pocket.

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ignore the bitter folks and keep learning Sam.

I think most people go by feel but learning with a system to develop that feel can be helpful. For bank shots I used to picture a table twice as wide/long and aim for the far pocket.

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

Best Wishes.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I don't know what you would critique. All videos from anyone show is a person claiming to use a method, demonstrating themselves using that method and what the results are.

The viewer has the choice to try out the methods being demonstrated and see for themselves if they like them.

Well John,

You provided some links to video that have no real explanation as to what exactly is being done.

So, I don't see how a viewer could even try them, but if they can figure out what was done & try them, then I guess you're correct.

Best Wishes.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's called double the distance or mirroring. Exactly what I described in my first post.

John,

I know double the distance, etc. but I have not heard of visualizing a pocket out is space at which to 'aim' the OB, similar to the spot on the wall for 3 rail banks.

Best Wishes.