How do you aim bank & kick shots?

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are three methods of aiming a Bank shot.
1. Diamonds
2. Object Ball.
3. Cue Ball.

I use my Cue Ball on 99% of the Banks (AKA) Bugs.

randyg

Randy, Will you explain the "Cue Ball" method, I have never heard of it. Thanks in advance.

Joe

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy, Will you explain the "Cue Ball" method, I have never heard of it. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Randy didn't mention the cue either... or the eyes..maybe he's playing a different game.

Let's face it... we are here on the forum & there a million eyes trying to keep us in a straight line. Then we go & shoot a Masse'

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam, you have received much good information re your post. Here is a method to consider for practice.

Take one of the illustrations in Patrick's post #18. Set it up using 3 ring paper hole protectors. One for the object ball and one for the cue ball. Practice shooting this shot repetitively using the same speed and English. When you make the shot consistently try varying either the speed, vertical English or horizontal English. This will give you an estimate variables.

The next step is to move the object ball close to the rail and repeat the process. You will find the object ball will rebound differently.

This should give you a fundamental base for the complicated world of banking.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The cue ball method of banking is from Bugs Rucker.

Line up center-to-center and shift your cue tip accordingly.
Some shots require center-to-edge and shift.

randyg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are three methods of aiming a Bank shot.
1. Diamonds
2. Object Ball.
3. Cue Ball.

I use my Cue Ball on 99% of the Banks (AKA) Bugs.

randyg

Funny you mention Bugs and the cue ball method. I hadn't read your post until today and just yesterday I was explaining this to my playing partner and showing him a B/W video of Bugs banking that is on youtube.

I use a blend of several things (I think) because I've played for so long I think they are engrained into my memory.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did not put much effort into banking and kicking in the last months.

Mostly because I have so much more important things to work on and the mirror method works good enough for me right now.

Once I get to a better level on other points of my game, I will put more time into kicking and banking. Heath Manning sent me some nice links, I'll watch them later and see if I can incorporate quickly enough what is learnt from them without losing too much the focus of what I'm working on right now.

Sam

thanks for the update

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Here is an illustration and explanation from a thread I did on banking and kicking...

Here is an illustration and explanation from a thread I did on banking and kicking a while back talking about the proper way to do angle in angle out banking. A lot of people aren't aware of this and end up getting frustrated that they miss so badly trying to use angle in/angle out.

Except on a red label diamond. People often don't realize that red label diamonds were designed to allow an approximation of center ball aiming for angle in/angle out and like red labels better because of this.

The problem with that is that it is only an approximation so it has a greater learning curve for deliberate players as opposed to feel players...

Banking and Kicking using angle in angle out correctly...
Let me preface this by stating that banks have more feel by necessity than any other shot in pool, so any system will only be a starting point...

Ok now that that is covered...

The below illustration showcases both the correct way to use angle in/angle out in relation to banking and kicking and it showcases how the most common mistake that is made gives you an incorrect result.

Let me explain what you are looking at.

The diagram shows a common rail first kick that comes up in play often, and when people miss it by a mile, they often have no clue what they did wrong.

I am about to show you why.

At first glance this diagram can appear REALLY confusing, but bear with me and pay close attention and it will make a LOT of sense...

The biggest problem with using angle in/angle out is that the greater the severity of the angle, the greater the disparity between center ball (of the ball contacting the rail) and the CP (contact point) of the ball contacting the rail.

The great thing about it is that it is EASY to find the CP on any ball that will make contact with a rail. It is ALWAYS parallel to the rail.

The contact point on any ball making contact with the rail at any angle will ALWAYS be the part of the ball closest to the rail it is contacting.

In the diagram I've drawn out to illustrate this there are several lines and a few balls drawn. Let me tell you what each of those lines and balls represent and you can test this out yourself.

The solid black ball represents an OB that is slightly off the rail.

The solid lined ball directly behind the OB represents the CB after coming off the rail and contacting the OB when it is aimed using the correct angle in/angle out method.

The dashed lined ball represents the CB coming off the rail and contacting the OB when you aim angle in/angle out through center ball (*the wrong way*).

If you look at the starting point of the cueball (represented by the ball that is farthest from the OB) you will see a line contacting the edge of the ball closest to the rail that the ball will be contacting.

This is the proper starting aim point for angle in/angle out kicking and banking.

If you aim at the rail, where this point hits, the CB will rebound from the rail (on a medium shot all things being equal) at the SAME angle that it approached it from.

The way that you would know where to aim at on the rail through center ball, is by parallel shifting from that line to the place on center ball

The circled portion on the rail marked CB-AP represents the correct angle in/angle out starting point.

The circled portion on the rail that is marked CP-PS-AP represents the cueball's center ball aim point. IOW, it is the place that you want to aim through center cueball, if you want to make the shot.

The dashed line that leaves the starting cueball represents where most people aim when trying to use angle in/angle out aiming which is the angle in/angle out angle through center ball and is wrong.

At first glance it looks like the ball will rebound at the correct angle because that line goes right through center ball of the correctly placed cueball, but it isn't the part of the rail that the cueball makes contact with though because the ball has already made contact with the rail before it can get that far.

If you look at the double dashed line, you will see where the ball will ACTUALLY contact the rail which leads to a BAD miss, sometimes including missing the ball entirely depending on the severity of the angle.

Don't take my word for this. Setup the shot and try it using both methods and see for yourself.

Aim through centerball angle in/angle out and aim through the CP (point on the ball that is closest to the rail and can be found with a line parallel to the rail where it contacts the ball) and then shift to center ball.

You will see that the balls do pretty much exactly what I have diagrammed here.

Jaden

Attachments

• kick and banks.jpg
    kick and banks.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 162