Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, there seems to be opinions from 2 directions. To clarify the scene,
This happen at a poolhall. I was standing approximately 5 - 6 feet away from the table. I was standing out of the opponent's line of sight, about 90 degrees away from his viewing angle. I was standing and leaned my cue against a table about 6 inches from me on my left side. I was not aggressively picking or leaning my cue. I did not say anything while doing it either. I saw that he had 2 balls lefts and leaned my cue down. He shot the 8 and got bad position. I then picked up my cue before he shot the 9 ball. Because the cue was right beside me and I was out of his line of sight, I did not think he would notice me picking up. He did not looked like he was bothered by it as well until after the end of the game.
I stand up during play because I sit all day in an office.
I have watched many youtube games and have seen Pro players picking up their cue while seated during an opponent's shot. They may be cleaning it or shaping the tip. I guess that is fine?
I guess I am really bothered by doing what could be a potential shark move. I have gambled many different characters and had people talk, move and performed obvious sharks moves. In my opinion, unless they are physically touching me, it makes me want to play better. Because I know, that they know, I am a better player and they need to resort to unscrupulous tactics to win.

It may not bother you, but it certainly bothered him. I agree with a comment made earlier, how did he know you did it if you were out of his line of sight? I played a guy once who would leave our table after a miss. When I missed, I had to wait for him to get back before the game would resume. Some of you guys will ask "how could that shark you if he wasn't even there?". Vowed that day to never play anyone who can't give me the same respect as I give them. If it's their shot, take a seat, watch, and be quiet. To each their own I guess.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I was playing a cheap set. I tend to stand up and hold my cue when not shooting. This allows me to move away from an opponents line of sight and holding the cue is just a habit. I tend to shoot and play fast therefore I like holding the cue. In this instance, I placed my cue down when my opponent was on the 8 ball in a 9 ball game. It looked liked an easy shot and I was preparing to rack, therefore, I placed my cue down. He made the ball but got terrible position. Seeing that, I picked my leaning cue up. I was away from his line of sight and was anticipating the opportunity to shoot. Keep in mind my body is still the entire time, and I only picked/lay my cue after his shot. He was a gentleman and told me after the set, what I did was a shark move. I had no sharking intentions as I just enjoy playing. I figured as I was not in his line of sight what I do doesn't matter. Am I in the wrong? I think I play fair and have gambled for a long time in pool. This is the first time I was told that what I did was considered a shark move.

Look, it could be construed as a move. But I don't see what the problem is. You said you weren't intending to shark him and it appears he didn't take it that way either. You said he acted like a gentleman about it and simply mentioned it to you after the set. So take it as a lesson learned and stay in your chair instead of hovering around his table when he's shooting. The next guy might not be so polite about it. :thumbup:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule of thumb. When your opponent is shooting....don't move. Don't lay your stick down, don't drink water, don't pick your nose. It sounds like I play people that are a little different than others play. I can play for fun or gamble but I only play people that want to compete and play their best. Casual talk between shots is fine. But when surveying the table or down on the shot it's just about pool. If I lay my stick down when my opponent is on the ball before the money ball or the money ball then I am racking.

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I didn't see it as a problem, as it is not a problem for me. He stands while I am shooting as well. And I really couldn't care less if he picked his cue, talked on his cell, danced, whatever. I guess everyone is just built differently and I should respect that.
Look, it could be construed as a move. But I don't see what the problem is. You said you weren't intending to shark him and it appears he didn't take it that way either. You said he acted like a gentleman about it and simply mentioned it to you after the set. So take it as a lesson learned and stay in your chair instead of hovering around his table when he's shooting. The next guy might not be so polite about it. :thumbup:

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play adult recreational tennis and you will become shark proof. The amount of out right cheating with bad line calls, people waving their arms, yelling when you are swinging at the ball, calling the wrong score, etc makes sharking at the pool table seem weak and pathetic.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a shark. Unintended soon need to feel bad. Sit/stand & hold your cue/or lean it when not your shot. If you're gambling then that's what I believe to be best.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play adult recreational tennis and you will become shark proof. The amount of out right cheating with bad line calls, people waving their arms, yelling when you are swinging at the ball, calling the wrong score, etc makes sharking at the pool table seem weak and pathetic.

Apples and oranges.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apples and oranges.

Yes, and people using other/different sharks to diminish this one is silly too, IMO. Using a "worse" shark doesn't change the fact this is a shark. And again, I know it was unintended.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

At least in tennis you can fire at their head or chest at the net...mishits happen;)

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apples and oranges.

It's the same thing. People trying to get in your head and mess up your game. This may have been unintentional but that guy is was mentally weak for letting a guy pick up a cue get in his head.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the same thing. People trying to get in your head and mess up your game.

I understand that. The difference is in pool, especially pressure situations, it's just the shooter alone with his thoughts. The slightest sounds and movements can destroy your focus and concentration.

In tennis, the pace of the game doesn't allow the player to focus on subtleties as easily. Maybe between games someone can try to get in your head, that's understandable, but when you're playing you don't have time to think.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at Tap nationals, a player was very obviously trying to shark my teammate, who he was playing. It caused an argument and one of their players' girlfriends told me that if my teammate can't handle being sharked, he has no business playing in a big tournament like this. I feel like a lot of pool players think this way and after seeing some threads on AZ recently, it only reinforces that.

The way i feel is that what OP was doing was affecting his opponent. No matter how small it was, it still affected him. You should make an effort to not be seen or heard when your opponent is shooting. It isn't your opponent's fault for not being able to handle it.

Maybe i'm in the minority though.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the same thing. People trying to get in your head and mess up your game. This may have been unintentional but that guy is was mentally weak for letting a guy pick up a cue get in his head.

The point is whether the opponent should be moving, not whether the shooter can handle it. The shooter's mental "toughness" should never be tested with anything other than the game.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at Tap nationals, a player was very obviously trying to shark my teammate, who he was playing. It caused an argument and one of their players' girlfriends told me that if my teammate can't handle being sharked, he has no business playing in a big tournament like this. I feel like a lot of pool players think this way and after seeing some threads on AZ recently, it only reinforces that.

The way i feel is that what OP was doing was affecting his opponent. No matter how small it was, it still affected him. You should make an effort to not be seen or heard when your opponent is shooting. It isn't your opponent's fault for not being able to handle it.

Maybe i'm in the minority though.

You beat me to it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You asked about etiquette - It is good etiquette to sit still while your opponent is shooting, not get your cue because you think he's going to miss or put it down when you think he's going to make it.

But failing to have absolutely perfect etiquette doesn't equate to sharking, and you've got to be a pretty big whiner to complain to you like your opponent did here.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
you've got to be a pretty big whiner to complain to you like your opponent did here.

Re-read the OP. His opponent DIDN'T complain. He informed him AFTER the set that it could be considered a shark move, and he should avoid it. Both of which are obviously true, and which the OP clearly didn't know. Words to the wise.

Thank you kindly.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Of course, picking up and setting down your cue when your opponent is at the table is
out of line.
..chalking your cue in anticipation of a miss is no class either.
I gotta admit I'll chalk a little when there are out of line! It always cracks me up a little.

Any real player is going to be completely unaffected by someone grabbing or chalking a cue. I play lots of guys who's whole demeanor changes when they think they are going to get a chance to shoot....no big deal.