1st Annual Tornado Open Sept. 30- Oct.4, 2015

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer takes down the 9-ball title. Anyone there to see it in person?

Sorry, I just missed it. My girlfriend Kimberly called in sick today so we could play some one pocket. She wanted a race to seven but I had to call it quits after five. It was a tough decision but I got to the tournament about 8:30pm. Hey, I am a dedicated poster of tournament action.

I was there to see the finals of the women's 9 ball. Wow, both events went hill, hill with a miscue in the final game. But, I think Ga Young Kim just miscued to draw out the suspense. She left a tough combo that Allison missed.

I remember when I was at CJ's and Efren played Amarillo Slim for 40k. Efren let Amarillo get to the hill and even waited for Slim to miss a makeable shot before winning the set. I remember Efren jumping around with that fantastic smile on his face and I said to him, MAN, YOU SURE KNOW HOW TO MAKE A MATCH EXCITING. Efren smiled at me and shook his head. I figure he was thinking, no, I did not do that on purpose, I GOT LUCKY.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was happy that my friend Eric who was so depressed when he lost to Efren in his first 9 ball match ended up beating two champions in the loser's bracket. The lion and somebody else. Eric ended up right out of the money.

Then Eric draws Mika in his first match of the 10 ball tournament and loses. I hope he does better this time.

Oh, I tried to get photos of Ms. Emily but figured only a video would show the flaw I was talking about. But all of her matches were on tables toward the center of the playing area. Too far away for the detailed analysis required for such important scientific research.

And since Eric who is a known local player but I am sure nobody to these pros, I asked a number of pros, Mike, Jeremy and others this question. Ok, you must know most of the better players in the area, country, world, etc. So when you play a person you have never played or have no clue how they play, do you coast and wait to see what they got or get on it right from the starting gate. ALL of them said, YOU GET ON IT RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE. Don't assume anything.

Sorry, I better get to bed now, I am pooped. Its been a really hard day for me.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love this post, one of my all time favorites! Coors Light Silver Bullet for me too!

Awww shucks Mr. Helfert, my writings are feeble compared to the mighty manuscripts you have shared with us mortals. I really appreciate the encouragement and hope to be able to meet you at a tournament someday to trade stories.

I am not worthy, I am not worthy.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, another great day at the tournament and the best parts of it for me.

It was really fun to watch the Mixed doubles tournament because the players were all having such a great time. Most had smiles on their faces as they traded off their turns at the table. Not like in the other events where they all had on such game faces.

I asked Efren if he was thinking of making another movie and he laughed. NOOOO, noooo. I asked him if he wanted to go with me to a karaoke bar so he could impress the crowd with his singing and again I got a NOOOOO, noooo. So, I asked the important question, was that movie a love story or comedy and he laughed real hard and said, Comedy, comedy.

Now the best part and one I will remember for the rest of my life as one of my top ten pool experiences. I TALKED TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

First some background. I started playing pool when I was about twenty years old and there was a guy in town that was considered one of the best, he played great, dressed like a banker, meaning a guy that runs a bank, financial institution, not someone that banks balls on a pool table. He was such a great influence and so much fun to hang around with. Then he moved away and got married to a pro pool playing lady. I did not see him for many years until I was in Baltimore about twenty years ago for a womens event. He was in the lobby taking care of their child. We talked awhile and his wife came over and said hello, real nice lady before they both headed off for things to do.

Friday night I approached this pro women player to talk to her and she cut me short as she hustled over to talk to Vivian. I thought nothing of it, she had something to do and I realize that there is a time and place for things. When a pro is tired, in the middle of a match, is on the way to a game, you wait. When they are standing around looking bored, that is when you approach them.

Tonight I see her standing around after her matches were over and I told her. I used to hang with Sammy when he was living here and I can understand how you would marry such a great guy but knowing Sammy, I can also understand how you would divorce him tooo, hahaha. She smiled and said, Sammy is a great guy and we are still very good friends. Then she asked, hey did we talk last night, I said, well no but I did approach you when you were busy and understand that.

She called over her current husband and told him, hey this is the guy I told you about. I am thinking, oh shiiiiit what does she know about me. Loree told me, I am so sorry to have been so rude to you last night. Her husband added, yeah, she mentioned trying to find you about a dozen times today. I am standing there with weak knees thinking, WHAT, Loree Jon, Guinness Book of World Records holder, Queen of the Hill, Hall of Fame member, eight time world champion is WHAT, APOLOGIZING TO MEEEEE.

Loree, her husband and I talked for a good 15 minutes about things and her husband told me, this is great to find you because now she can sleep tonight.

I know, from previous posts you figured I was going to talk about butts and boobs but that is superficial compared to the inner beauty I experienced tonight. LOREE JON REALLY IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

Last edited:

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vivian and Efren played in the mixed doubles with Vivian playing one handed. They lost.

Dennis O gets in the hot seat for the ten ball event. Mike D come over to test him and takes him down a hard 7 to 2. They go to a second set and I had to leave when Dennis had Mike down 4 to zero. My friend later sent me the text that Dennis won. Mike 2nd, sky 3rd and Bata, 4th.

Dennis should have won the 9 ball event too except he miscued when it was hill, hill final set.

After all of the delay and problems, the event finished right about on schedule.

I asked about a dozen of the pro players what they thought of the tournament and venue and none of them had a major complaint, of course it is not the fantastic setting of Dubai but it worked and many of them said they would return next year.

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vivian and Efren played in the mixed doubles with Vivian playing one handed. They lost.

Dennis O gets in the hot seat for the ten ball event. Mike D come over to test him and takes him down a hard 7 to 2. They go to a second set and I had to leave when Dennis had Mike down 4 to zero. My friend later sent me the text that Dennis won. Mike 2nd, sky 3rd and Bata, 4th.

Dennis should have won the 9 ball event too except he miscued when it was hill, hill final set.

After all of the delay and problems, the event finished right about on schedule.

I asked about a dozen of the pro players what they thought of the tournament and venue and none of them had a major complaint, of course it is not the fantastic setting of Dubai but it worked and many of them said they would return next year.

congrats to Dennis on almost snapping both 9 &10 what a performance!
no report on pretty women tonight? :grin-square:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the updates. They have been both amusing and informative!!!!:D

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no report on pretty women tonight? :grin-square:

Well if you must know about the pretty women there I will tell.

Last night two of the local beauties, I will just call them JB and Ai, made their appearance at the tournament.

Here is a little background about these two hot gals, and I mean hotttt.....

When I started playing at the fast eddies, embassy a couple of years ago I was matching up with the best of their group of hustlers and holding my own. After a few months one of them asked me if I would like to join his APA league team. What, APA, I don't think so. But it was a Sunday league and I showed up one Sunday to get in on the cheap daytime rate and the hustler told me about his team members.

Whoa, that is when I saw who his team members were. Three hustlers and two hotties.

That is when I figured it was time to join the APA. JB is an oriental beauty and Ai is a blonde Norwegian looking bombshell. Sort of looks like Jasmin but with more stuff if you know what I mean. Like stuffed into hot pants and a halter top. This gal makes a $3 dollar old navy t-shirt look like a $100 Victoria's secret top.

It turns out JB is the team captain and she and Ai use their looks to get the best players on their team. They are apa 3 and 4 but win alot because of the team they can assemble.

A few weeks after I joined the team I noticed a patch on JB's case called RACKLESS NIGHT. As a joke I said to JB, I bet Efren Reyes does not have one of those. She said, well, maybe, does he play well, is he a local. What is his APA rating.

Wow, my team captain has no clue who Efren is?????

So, when they showed up at the tornado tournament the first thing I did has take them to meet Efren so JB could get a photo with him.

I would love to post photos of these two gals but if I did, they would find out and kick my ass. Ai had a harley and a full auto ar15, she is an instructor at a local gym.

So, next year be sure and come to the tornado tournament and maybe they will show up again for man kinds viewing pleasure.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Pics or it didn't happen...

Please!

(If you get your ass kicked, I'll chip in for the hospital bill)

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Why did Efern get stuck with a one arm Vivian? Was there no one else to take her place, or did she insist on playing? They weren't just playing for fun. There was a few grand on the line. Johnnyt

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I finally made it to the tourney the night of the open and ladies 9 ball finals.

The open final had just ended a few minutes before I pulled into the parking lot. Got out of my car and as I approached the building, I saw Dennis O. sitting outside on the curb. As I walked past, I nodded to him, and thought "Boy, that guy doesn't look happy!"

It wasn't until I got inside that I found out what had happened in the final game against Johnny. The shot was being touted as the "Six Thousand Dollar Miscue"!

I saw a lot of old friends and was amazed how friendly all of the pros were. Smiling, laughing and taking pictures with all of us mere mortals! LOL

I heard about Vivian's fall which resulted in a broken arm. Vivian and I have known each other for over 20 yrs. I was really happy for her to have put something like this together. As a former Tour director myself, most people have no idea the amount of work and dedication it takes to put something like this together. I'm very proud of her!

After watching the exciting finish to the ladies event with Allison and Ga, I finally spotted Vivian, with arm in cast, working feverishly trying to get ready for the 10 ball event.

I wandered over and said "Hello, Vivian!". She looked up from what she was doing and said "Hi, Paul!" Being the true sportsman I am and never one to miss an opportunity, I said "Great event! Wanna play sum?" LOL

She just giggled and then shooed me away! What a nice lady!

On a side note, the civic center that the event was held in, brought back some fond memories. For over fifty years, it was a bowling alley. From the time I was 12 yrs. old, every Saturday morning, I would bowl on a junior league.

Just inside the lobby was a separate room with four Brunswick 8' tables. The minimum age to play was 16, so after league, I would go stand outside the room and watch for hours while other people played pool. Man, I wanted to play so bad I could taste it.

Before I turned 13, my uncle came to visit. He took me to league and before we left, I ran over to the pool room. He walked up behind me and asked if I wanted to play. I couldn't believe it.

He went and got the balls and we played for a couple of hours. I was in seventh heaven.

This was where I played my first game of pool! Little did I know at the time that it would be a true passion over the next fifty years!

Fond memories!

Stones

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
congrats to Dennis on almost snapping both 9 &10 what a performance!

Dennis form dipped in lead up to W9B losing 4 times in row to Justin and then roasted by Shane in W9B . This may be his return to form in lead up to US Open. I would watch out for him , he may just snap it off while no one is looking :grin:

Well if you must know about the pretty women there I will tell.

Last night two of the local beauties, I will just call them JB and Ai, made their appearance at the tournament.

Here is a little background about these two hot gals, and I mean hotttt.....

When I started playing at the fast eddies, embassy a couple of years ago I was matching up with the best of their group of hustlers and holding my own. After a few months one of them asked me if I would like to join his APA league team. What, APA, I don't think so. But it was a Sunday league and I showed up one Sunday to get in on the cheap daytime rate and the hustler told me about his team members.

Whoa, that is when I saw who his team members were. Three hustlers and two hotties.

That is when I figured it was time to join the APA. JB is an oriental beauty and Ai is a blonde Norwegian looking bombshell. Sort of looks like Jasmin but with more stuff if you know what I mean. Like stuffed into hot pants and a halter top. This gal makes a $3 dollar old navy t-shirt look like a $100 Victoria's secret top.

It turns out JB is the team captain and she and Ai use their looks to get the best players on their team. They are apa 3 and 4 but win alot because of the team they can assemble.

A few weeks after I joined the team I noticed a patch on JB's case called RACKLESS NIGHT. As a joke I said to JB, I bet Efren Reyes does not have one of those. She said, well, maybe, does he play well, is he a local. What is his APA rating.

Wow, my team captain has no clue who Efren is?????

So, when they showed up at the tornado tournament the first thing I did has take them to meet Efren so JB could get a photo with him.

I would love to post photos of these two gals but if I did, they would find out and kick my ass. Ai had a harley and a full auto ar15, she is an instructor at a local gym.

So, next year be sure and come to the tornado tournament and maybe they will show up again for man kinds viewing pleasure.

Thanks for the funny entertaining (sometimes sexy) write ups. :grin:

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament is over but there is still some pool excitement left in San Antonio.

Danny smith was giving some local 12-4 for a couple of hundred last night.

I went to clicks on bitters tonight and vivian and efren were there. For ten dollars you get to play efren. Hey, gotta try huh. I probably scratch on the break one out of 30 to 40 breaks. I do pretty well with the cue stopping in the middle of the table. You have times when a ball flies at the cue ball and knocks it in. Well, I break, cue gets knocked in and that was my ten bucks. The table was wide open, easy run out for efren.

On efrens case there is a big Efren "Bata" Reyes and then on the case top there is a small statement. WORLDS GREATEST POOL PLAYER, something like that. I asked Efren if he believed that and he said, I did not put that on there, they gave it to me like that. I told him, well that's ok because WE ALL KNOW IT IS TRUE.

After Efren finished wowing us he put away his cue and somebody asked him if he would show them a certain shot. Oh, a little background on this. Back in what, 2009 at the big galveston tournament I asked Efren who he thought made the best cues and he said, Judd Fuller. So getting the facts from THE MAN I ordered a custom Judd cue. I showed it to Efren tonight and he liked it. He also showed me a Judd cue he had in his case that he did not use during the tournament. Since Efren had put his cue away he asked to use my Judd and wow, I never know that cue could do some of the shots it was making.

After he gave me back my cue and everyone left. I hit some balls around and wow, he must have left some of his Magic on the cue. I was making two and three rail shots I have never made before. OK, I may have been actually trying to make it in the corner pocket but it would go two or three rails and find a pocket anyway.

Efren is scheduled to do a couple of more appearances, I think one is at Gcue's. Also during the day they saw him hitting balls at fast eddies on embasy. I think Allison Fisher is going to make an appearance at fast eddies braun road.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Why did Efern get stuck with a one arm Vivian? Was there no one else to take her place, or did she insist on playing? They weren't just playing for fun. There was a few grand on the line. Johnnyt
IMO, several others would have done so willingly.

A lot of smiling faces and socializing among the vets.

I think most were having fun win or lose.

Someone weigh in please, I may be fooling myself.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I finally made it to the tourney the night of the open and ladies 9 ball finals.

The open final had just ended a few minutes before I pulled into the parking lot. Got out of my car and as I approached the building, I saw Dennis O. sitting outside on the curb. As I walked past, I nodded to him, and thought "Boy, that guy doesn't look happy!"

It wasn't until I got inside that I found out what had happened in the final game against Johnny. The shot was being touted as the "Six Thousand Dollar Miscue"!

I saw a lot of old friends and was amazed how friendly all of the pros were. Smiling, laughing and taking pictures with all of us mere mortals! LOL

I heard about Vivian's fall which resulted in a broken arm. Vivian and I have known each other for over 20 yrs. I was really happy for her to have put something like this together. As a former Tour director myself, most people have no idea the amount of work and dedication it takes to put something like this together. I'm very proud of her!

After watching the exciting finish to the ladies event with Allison and Ga, I finally spotted Vivian, with arm in cast, working feverishly trying to get ready for the 10 ball event.

I wandered over and said "Hello, Vivian!". She looked up from what she was doing and said "Hi, Paul!" Being the true sportsman I am and never one to miss an opportunity, I said "Great event! Wanna play sum?" LOL

She just giggled and then shooed me away! What a nice lady!

On a side note, the civic center that the event was held in, brought back some fond memories. For over fifty years, it was a bowling alley. From the time I was 12 yrs. old, every Saturday morning, I would bowl on a junior league.

Just inside the lobby was a separate room with four Brunswick 8' tables. The minimum age to play was 16, so after league, I would go stand outside the room and watch for hours while other people played pool. Man, I wanted to play so bad I could taste it.

Before I turned 13, my uncle came to visit. He took me to league and before we left, I ran over to the pool room. He walked up behind me and asked if I wanted to play. I couldn't believe it.

He went and got the balls and we played for a couple of hours. I was in seventh heaven.

This was where I played my first game of pool! Little did I know at the time that it would be a true passion over the next fifty years!

Fond memories!

Stones
Great stuff,
I giggled at the empty telephone cubicles.
The A/C was recently overhauled and it was comfortable on Sat./Sun.

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament is over but there is still some pool excitement left in San Antonio.

Danny smith was giving some local 12-4 for a couple of hundred last night.

I went to clicks on bitters tonight and vivian and efren were there. For ten dollars you get to play efren. Hey, gotta try huh. I probably scratch on the break one out of 30 to 40 breaks. I do pretty well with the cue stopping in the middle of the table. You have times when a ball flies at the cue ball and knocks it in. Well, I break, cue gets knocked in and that was my ten bucks. The table was wide open, easy run out for efren.

On efrens case there is a big Efren "Bata" Reyes and then on the case top there is a small statement. WORLDS GREATEST POOL PLAYER, something like that. I asked Efren if he believed that and he said, I did not put that on there, they gave it to me like that. I told him, well that's ok because WE ALL KNOW IT IS TRUE.

After Efren finished wowing us he put away his cue and somebody asked him if he would show them a certain shot. Oh, a little background on this. Back in what, 2009 at the big galveston tournament I asked Efren who he thought made the best cues and he said, Judd Fuller. So getting the facts from THE MAN I ordered a custom Judd cue. I showed it to Efren tonight and he liked it. He also showed me a Judd cue he had in his case that he did not use during the tournament. Since Efren had put his cue away he asked to use my Judd and wow, I never know that cue could do some of the shots it was making.

After he gave me back my cue and everyone left. I hit some balls around and wow, he must have left some of his Magic on the cue. I was making two and three rail shots I have never made before. OK, I may have been actually trying to make it in the corner pocket but it would go two or three rails and find a pocket anyway.

Efren is scheduled to do a couple of more appearances, I think one is at Gcue's. Also during the day they saw him hitting balls at fast eddies on embasy. I think Allison Fisher is going to make an appearance at fast eddies braun road.

Wow really!? Only $10 to play Efren :eek: :confused:
I think I saw some post recently for some upcoming event on playing Archer or Morris for $20 :rolleyes:
No disrespect to them, they're great players, everyone loves them, but I'd choose to play Efren for $10 x10 times first :p