2010 Cue of the Year

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey don't be soliciting pics of my baby...jk. Yes, she was built in 2010 and is a real beauty.

Despite the fact that there was a big Manzino, this Sugartree is STILL the winner in my book. Number of inlays don't necessarily make a better looking cue. Sometimes a classy design and some killer wood make even the fanciest of Black Boars pale in comparison.

Congrats on this cue! Its one of my all-time favs!!!

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite the fact that there was a big Manzino, this Sugartree is STILL the winner in my book. Number of inlays don't necessarily make a better looking cue. Sometimes a classy design and some killer wood make even the fanciest of Black Boars pale in comparison.

Congrats on this cue! Its one of my all-time favs!!!

I concur. Twice. True story.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
do it Eric

Fatboy :thumbup:Fatboy :thumbup:Fatboy :thumbup:Fatboy :thumbup:
the GREEN MACHINE here on Board:thumbup:

9BallKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric

Eric please do it so i can sit here in awwwwww and watch you win!! If its the cue im thinking of, ive seen it up Close and still have dreams of it congrats

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the only one I got in 2010, not too fancy but one hell of a player.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

9BallKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" What about the ivory over steel...joint....
Playability, hit , feel of the cue???
THANKS
" A beautiful cue ;)

its mostly for people to get the look of ivory, and the excellent hit/playability of stainless steel, a def for high end cues for some makers/people.i have yet to feel a diff between the both, ss and ss sleeved w ivory.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
its mostly for people to get the look of ivory, and the excellent hit/playability of stainless steel, a def for high end cues for some makers/people.i have yet to feel a diff between the both, ss and ss sleeved w ivory.

I think it also reduces the weight around the joint a little but I agree the hit is very solid and very similar to the hit of a steel cue.

-don

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

its not cosmetic, it serves a specific purpose on Black Boar cues. SS and ivory have different density's, SS is heavy, ivory is light. So ivory and thich SS which make the cue a bit more front heavy, depending on the density of the wood in the cue sometimes Tony will just use all ivory or all SS or one of the 4 ss/ivory rigs he has set up. to change the balance point of the cue he has 4 different SS/ivory set-up's some have thicker ivory and are lighter and others have thin

Cosmetics are NOT the reason Tony does SS over stainless(unless someone asks for it) I let Tony do his thing and I can see some of mine are differnt than others, some other cue makers might do it for cosmetics only, I dont know. Tony is into physics and there is a reason for everything he does, cosmetics are secondary to him. He wants to be known for his work in physics and how his cues play not look, the artistic part of Boars is where he makes his $$$. The joint isnt artistic its a part of how a cue plays.

Also in all seriousness, Sure Im proud of the fancy cue I bought this year. But cue collecting isnt a competition and I love plane jane cues as much as the fancy stuff, I was triplle happy this year when Ken won again and when Will got a never played with Hopie cue. I am beyond blessed to have the cues I own, and believe me I dont take it for granted.

Best

Eric

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Jamie...just a thought...since the submissions have slowed, no doubt due to the uber-ornate ones received so far...what about doing categories?

Lisa

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
<-- received pretty "plain" cues this year. Nothing fancy/ornate/of significance compared to many here.

3 PJ's, one 4 pt.

08-31-10-001.jpg

08-31-10-003.jpg

and my other fav....

rat1.jpg

and the two I made in Gracio's shop...

group4.jpg

Last edited:

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jamie...just a thought...since the submissions have slowed, no doubt due to the uber-ornate ones received so far...what about doing categories?

Lisa

Personally, I'm NOT a fan of this idea.

I like the Manzino, and it may be a monster on every level. Does that mean its the best looking cue of the year? No. Taste is subjective. There are people that will see that cue and vote for it immediately and those who will pass right over it because it doesn't appeal to them.

Each cue should be able to stand on its own based on its overall appeal. Otherwise, you have dozens of categories: 4 pointers, 8 pointers, box cues, plain janes, sneaky petes, etc.. Just let each cue be judged on its own appeal to the general audience. JMO.