2017 Mosconi Cup - Current standings, does U.S.A. have a chance?

no joking when you are the best big table player in the usa..and your getting beat up on all the time and your team see this,,i do think it hurts the team.which on the other hand i think shane gets beat up on so much because he feels like we don't have a chance :( ..so on that note you might be on to something sir ..also i think the coach needs to have a good long talk with shane because i think he the first to feels the pressure because of this. he needs to learn to lead pump up are boys :)

Does Shane have the right type of personality to be a team leader?

whats the difference? the oldies now have proven long enough that they cant do otherwise!
atleast its a investment in the future!

Yeah, you make a good point. And in a short high pressure race to 5, it is not about who are the 5 best players on the team, it is more about 5 of the best players who can play at their highest level even under the highest amount of pressure. These young players might have the best chance. They may be hungrier, and more fearless then any other players in the US.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Against Niels, Darren, Albin, Jayson and Ralf? Good luck with that.

Maybe against our "B" team of Nick, Nikos, Mark, Karl and David?

Nahh, sorry. The Cup stays in Europe for the next couple years at least.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

no question about that, except a fluke maybe...... only when they dont make a restart they will NEVER win again!

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

Mika and Thorsten don't make your A or B team? Wow.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika and Thorsten don't make your A or B team? Wow.

They haven't made Matchrooms in the last 3 years.

Mika's only been on twice in the last 7 years, and the last time both Mika and Thorsten were on the team was in 2009.

Any relevance to that year? Well, it is the last time America won the MC.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hilarious comments. In short races at 9 ball in a team format you need experience and level heads. Some newbies for sure but a team full of them will gel in the wrong way and just spend a load of money in London or Vegas.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No matter how you cut it, Team USA will be big underdogs again this year. They've been getting pounded on for the last seven years and I doubt even Johann can find a way to change that. I agree a younger team may be our best chance to at least be competitive. I have no clue about Shane. He has gone into a funk the last couple of years and gave up in matches. Because of this the pressure on him to perform is enormous.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the current top 5 have a good mixture of experience and youth. They will be underdogs, but they have all proven they can win against anyone. As for Shane, we need to forget about him being the team leader, and just tell him to go play his game. Take as much pressure off as we can, and let him play.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB is just NOT the rah-rah, go team kinda guy. He's like a lone-wolf predator. He may never play good in the MC and some people just can't deal with that.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, I think asking SVB to be the team leader just doesn't suit him. Taking that pressure off couldn't hurt. If he just plays without the other duties, perhaps he could play like the champ he is. Success breeds success they say, and if one player gets on a roll, perhaps the others can too.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short of getting Johann to armtwist Marcus and Europe to send in their D team , the best option mentioned so far is to send Shane fishing, bring in young kids Sky,Thorpe,Bergman

Even then may still need the table guys and magicians in Vegas to pull fast one maybe an optical illusion on Matchroom by bringing in 7ft tables instead of 9ft :grin:

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johann's the best bet to bring the american boys close or even pull n upset.
His technical knowledge is well suited for the mosconi.

And i hope he brings back the old guns,
My pick is Rodney , Archer , Shane, and for young guns, Bergman n Sky.

Em old birds have heart n know what it takes to win , em 2 young guns got a solid game but need guidance from em old birds if they r willing to share it.

But Shane needs to step it up 2 notches.

My 2 cents.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB is just NOT the rah-rah, go team kinda guy. He's like a lone-wolf predator. He may never play good in the MC and some people just can't deal with that.

Shane has a little rah-rah in him :smile:

Just not much to rah about the last several years in The Mosconi Cup :frown:

Shane-Van-Boening-2.jpg

shane at mosconi cup.jpg