2017 US Open 10-ball

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused as to what the point of this tournament is. Admittance is a ridiculously low $10 and they give you $10 in tickets for food and beverages. Meaning admittance is free. The food is very good by the way. I would far rather pay $200-300 for a VIP seat, as I did when this was last held at the Rio on 9-foot tables, and be able to see world class pool in comfort. Maybe this tournament is solely for the benefit of the players, which is fine, but I drove 5 hours to get here and there are people that drove from British Columbia to get here. If we would have known how badly this sucks we wouldn't have done it. Admittance is free but my room at the Rio isn't and neither were my meals for the two extra days I devoted to this tournament. It seems impossible for pool to win. No matter what there's ALWAYS an issue. I'm simply going to stop going to tournaments. They aren't any fun for me or my brother anymore, whom I almost flew here from Pittsburgh, for this debacle. I think I, like Efren, am packing it in as a fan of pool.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Dennis Hatch still has one of the styles ever....but he aint getting the job done.
Sky is up 8-6

Edit...Sky wins

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the previous location (the riviera?) years ago they had a very nice set up- similar to what you described at the turning stone

TS has theater type cushioned to the hilt seats-The BCA had freezing cold aluminum bleachers-no comparison.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a real shame....

You better hope that the stream comes up because I'm at Griff's and the seating is so bad I can't take it. Luckily, for me I came to Vegas for the Woodworking Fair at the Convention Center and figured the tournament would be a good time filler. NOT SO, no decent chairs and I can't see a damn thing and I'm 6'2" tall. Coming here was a complete waste of time. Well, at least until tomorrow when the trade show starts.
Your comments and others make me kind of glad I didn't waste time and money by going to this thing.
Too bad they dogged it for the people attending.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie, George and Bobby make a good team. I wasn't able to join them this year. :frown:

I meant in your head....there's seems to be quite a few new guys lately who have taken up commentary on these streams. It's good to see a change from the two regulars. It's kind of weird but I don't always immediately notice good commentary but when they, how do you say, um, suck, it's immediately recognizable and detracts from the game so much I usually don't watch.

Good job on the recent big one. That had to be hard to call with Tony's shot selection. The guy says a different game than the rest of us.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So hold on...there are no pro events at the Rio? That was a big part of the interested in the BCA trip in July for me. The best year was when the pros had a 9' table arena at the Rio. Honestly I'm not sure if I'd still want to go.

KMRUNOUT

The pro events are at Griff's Billiards. The CSI crew will move the set after Wednesday's US Open 10-ball final to the Rio for the CSI Nationals. Many of the pros will play the bar table table tournaments at the Rio. After the Nationals, the streaming returns to Griff's for the Us Open 8-ball.

Freddie <~~~ already exhausted

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused as to what the point of this tournament is. Admittance is a ridiculously low $10 and they give you $10 in tickets for food and beverages. Meaning admittance is free. The food is very good by the way. I would far rather pay $200-300 for a VIP seat, as I did when this was last held at the Rio on 9-foot tables, and be able to see world class pool in comfort. Maybe this tournament is solely for the benefit of the players, which is fine, but I drove 5 hours to get here and there are people that drove from British Columbia to get here. If we would have known how badly this sucks we wouldn't have done it. Admittance is free but my room at the Rio isn't and neither were my meals for the two extra days I devoted to this tournament. It seems impossible for pool to win. No matter what there's ALWAYS an issue. I'm simply going to stop going to tournaments. They aren't any fun for me or my brother anymore, whom I almost flew here from Pittsburgh, for this debacle. I think I, like Efren, am packing it in as a fan of pool.

They're trying. There were tons of complaints over the last several years when they moved the pro events to 7-foot tables. So this year they moved to Griff's since it has the 9-foot tables already there, and it's not far from the BCA Nationals.

One thing about Mark Griffin and those guys, they make some mistakes but they adjust and try something new. I'm sure they'll figure this out and adjust next year.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're trying. There were tons of complaints over the last several years when they moved the pro events to 7-foot tables. So this year they moved to Griff's since it has the 9-foot tables already there, and it's not far from the BCA Nationals.

One thing about Mark Griffin and those guys, they make some mistakes but they adjust and try something new. I'm sure they'll figure this out and adjust next year.

Did Matchroom telling them no 7 footers would be points events have anything to do with their "Adjustment"? :rolleyes: