2017 World Chinese 8 Ball Masters...who has info?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, they tied at 11-11 and went to a shootout. Potts made 2 of 5, Zhang made 1 of 5.

Potts is the winner!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now they're having some sort of exhibition team match, with Van Boening on the "international" side with Potts and someone else.

Edit -- bedtime.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Well, they tied at 11-11 and went to a shootout. Potts made 2 of 5, Zhang made 1 of 5.

Potts is the winner!

What a horrible way to end it. Why make the match race to 19 and then have a time limit to end the match? They were not playing slow, there was a shot clock even...

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I didn't get this either, there was a possible further 15 racks to play, no way they have had enough time, really should have been 2 ahead sudden death at least.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was it the super thin cut shot lined up down the middle of the table?

Yes. CB on the head spot (if they call it that) and OB on the long string about one diamond (although the tables have no diamonds) off the foot rail.

What a horrible way to end it. Why make the match race to 19 and then have a time limit to end the match? They were not playing slow, there was a shot clock even...

I didn't get this either, there was a possible further 15 racks to play, no way they have had enough time, really should have been 2 ahead sudden death at least.

The earlier matches were subject to a time limit, also. But was the Final subject to the same 140-minute limit, even though it was, ostensibly, "best of 37"? And I agree about the pace of play -- it was fine.

The shootout was simply shooting the same thin cut shot 5 times. To me, that's not an interesting or good way to end a significant event.

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. CB on the head spot (if they call it that) and OB on the long string about one diamond (although the tables have no diamonds) off the foot rail.

The earlier matches were subject to a time limit, also. But was the Final subject to the same 140-minute limit, even though it was, ostensibly, "best of 37"? And I agree about the pace of play -- it was fine.

The shootout was simply shooting the same thin cut shot 5 times. To me, that's not an interesting or good way to end a significant event.

I think they want to have that penalty shoot-out feeling of a soccer match. But with pool it feels strange..

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think they want to have that penalty shoot-out feeling of a soccer match. But with pool it feels strange..

Yeah, and they are also using a shootout at hill/hill in the current Appleton event. But at least it's not the same shot every time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a f*^&@d-up way to end what was a great tournament. Could you imagine the Masters, at the end of regulation, telling the players that instead of a play-off we're just going to have a chip-off at 18? What's with the time limits anyway? Those people gonna be late for work or what? They outta just play a race to 13, win-by-2.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Looking for a few good men (or women) nationwide!

I'm looking for several locations across the US to discuss a great opportunity to become a sanctioned host location for a number of large scale nationwide unifying projects in the billiards industry for America. Not only sanctioned host locations but also qualified ambassadors of the sport will be appointed as well. If you are interested, or would like to nominate someone in your area worthy of such a position, please message me privately to discuss the details. The selected venues and affiliates will all be compensated throughout this venture. Starting out with the biggest challenge first, introducing Joy tables and Chinese 8 Ball to the US. There will be 4 qualifier winners sent to China each year!