2nd ball break

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Piss off you insufferable *****. Who is us? You're the only one with a comprehension problem when it comes to the word works. So far everyone else seems to understand so again, go look it up

Nah. The issue is that PJ is way smarter than the other posters here. You all failed to understand his question.

His point was *obviously* that saying "it works", without defining what success is, doesn't say much. He could have worded it "when you say 'it works', what results do you achieve? Are you looking to make a clustered mess to reduce your opponents chances of running out? Are you trying to make the 8 on the break? Are you trying to make a ball and run out?"

See, when I do the 2nd ball break, it is typically for a very specific reason. The reason is most commonly that the rack is not frozen well. Or I'm on a 7' Valley, or both. I have a very specific set of things I'm trying to achieve.

Point is, Patrick was not declaring his lack of knowledge of the definition of the word "works". And the complainers missed it.

Final observation: Patrick was polite and respectful, unlike this quoted post.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the desired effect of an 8 ball break?

If you don't know this you should take a week off from pool.

And then quit forever.

JC

There are many desired outcomes for an 8 ball break. Depends a lot on the rule set, the opponent, the conditions, the quality of the rack, the table...

Are you saying you're not aware of this?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could "work" to make the 8 ball on the break more often....
Or, create clusters to play a desirable safety battle...
Or, break the balls wide open for easier runouts.....
Or, break the ball to specific table quadrants for less cue ball travel...
Or,

a glimmer of intelligence in this thread...

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're doing it again, PJ! Ever head the word "pretentious"?

On a side note: pjs are what I wore to bed when I was a kid. ;)

I didn't think he was being pretentious. I took it as "there are some dumb people here". A pretty accurate claim from what I've seen.

KMRUNOUT

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Two of a kind?

Nah. The issue is that PJ is way smarter than the other posters here. You all failed to understand his question.

His point was *obviously* that saying "it works", without defining what success is, doesn't say much. He could have worded it "when you say 'it works', what results do you achieve? Are you looking to make a clustered mess to reduce your opponents chances of running out? Are you trying to make the 8 on the break? Are you trying to make a ball and run out?"

See, when I do the 2nd ball break, it is typically for a very specific reason. The reason is most commonly that the rack is not frozen well. Or I'm on a 7' Valley, or both. I have a very specific set of things I'm trying to achieve.

Point is, Patrick was not declaring his lack of knowledge of the definition of the word "works". And the complainers missed it.

Final observation: Patrick was polite and respectful, unlike this quoted post.

KMRUNOUT

Pretty sure nobody wrote "it works". Pretty sure they just typed "works" and your man PJ had to start things up, i:thumbup:n a pretentious way. Now I'm gonna be like PJ and ask you what "way" means. As in "way smarter". Looks like you both need to go back to school.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure nobody wrote "it works". Pretty sure they just typed "works" and your man PJ had to start things up, i:thumbup:n a pretentious way. Now I'm gonna be like PJ and ask you what "way" means. As in "way smarter". Looks like you both need to go back to school.

"Way" means that I'd probably back PJ spotting anyone else in this thread 20 IQ points. 40 is probably more realistic, but I'm not much of a gambler. His question made sense. Some people take offense to being stupid. I see it a lot. "Start things up"...lol, well sad really. He asked a good question and when pressed to actually think or articulate those thoughts more clearly, some punted. Pretty sure whether they typed "it works" or "works" is completely irrelevant. But if you feel the urge to tell me why any difference between those two statements applies to this thread, I'd be happy to listen.

With respect, your final sentence does not follow at all from your previous ones.

KMRUNOUT

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
"Way" means that I'd probably back PJ spotting anyone else in this thread 20 IQ points. 40 is probably more realistic, but I'm not much of a gambler. His question made sense. Some people take offense to being stupid. I see it a lot. "Start things up"...lol, well sad really. He asked a good question and when pressed to actually think or articulate those thoughts more clearly, some punted. Pretty sure whether they typed "it works" or "works" is completely irrelevant. But if you feel the urge to tell me why any difference between those two statements applies to this thread, I'd be happy to listen.

With respect, your final sentence does not follow at all from your previous ones.

KMRUNOUT

You sound like my little brother, He doesn't make sense either. Your use of way is incorrect. PJ pointing out to others that their use of works was wrong. Of course PJ was incorrect as well. So that is something you both have in common. Both being wrong in this thread. Re-read if you wish. Don't care. I would say that you are both pretty stupid. :thumbup:

JC

Coos Cues
There are many desired outcomes for an 8 ball break. Depends a lot on the rule set, the opponent, the conditions, the quality of the rack, the table...

Are you saying you're not aware of this?

KMRUNOUT

The desired result of an 8 ball break is to give yourself the best chance to win the game. A second ball break can achieve this no matter the other variables if practiced and executed well. If making the 8 on the break wins then this break is for you. If spreading the balls and making one on the break so you can run out is your thing, this break is for you. If clustering the balls on a rail to prevent the superior player from running out is what you want, this break is also for you at a slower speed. It's pretty versatile.

Someone mentioned aiming it. I find a touch of low inside will drive the cue ball straight into the rail perpendicular to the rack and back toward where you struck the 2nd ball initially. This is mostly scratch safe and usually gives an open ball to shoot at. What you don't want is for the cue ball to trail back and forth on an obit toward the head rail and lower corner pockets. Hitting the cue ball a touch too high causes this.

As far as hitting the 2nd ball in the correct place aim at the center ball in the back row straight on dead center ignoring the rest of the rack and you will hit the sweet spot of the 2nd ball. This break only needs to be struck at about 80% to perform well. 70% if you want clusters. Hit it too hard and bad things seem to happen.

To the OP, yes this break "works" for me at least. I don't get those wide open dry breaks that kill you. Usually if you break dry with a 2nd ball break it's because your aim was off and as a result you frequently end up with "insurance" clusters on the side rail. Rarely see a dry sellout break with 2nd ball which is good.

Played in the western BCA regional event a couple weeks ago and played a total of about 70 games with alternating break. I had exactly one dry break. If I was a better player I would have had a lot more run outs because the tables were there.

JC

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sound like my little brother, He doesn't make sense either. Your use of way is incorrect. PJ pointing out to others that their use of works was wrong. Of course PJ was incorrect as well. So that is something you both have in common. Both being wrong in this thread. Re-read if you wish. Don't care. I would say that you are both pretty stupid. :thumbup:

Lol ok. Coming from you, I appreciate the compliment.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
slight bit? on a break? doubt it, makes no sense
explain son
lol
I've heard that several times before and never understood it - unless it's to control the CB. I don't see how it could have a meaningful effect on how the other balls move.

I'm sure focusing more on exactly where you hit the CB pays dividends, but I'd rather focus more on hitting it in the center. I'm all about the accuracy and power.

pj
chgo

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I didn't say it was wrong. I asked what they meant by it.

Haven't you tried to light a fire here for long enough now? Go bother your sister and let the adults talk.

pj
chgo

I'm not trying anything. I'm doing it apparently. I said that your pointing out their misuse of the word was "wrong". Not that you said they where wrong. I said you doing so was wrong. You implied they didn't know what it meant. I put up the definition. Hope that's "way clear" for you now. Just so everybody knows. Yes, I'm bored and have nothing better to do. This is funny to me. :)

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I didn't say it was wrong. I asked what they meant by it.

Haven't you tried to light a fire here for long enough now? Go bother your sister and let the adults talk.

pj
chgo

You're the one that started this by questioning the proper use of the word "works". The "adults" making comments on my PM agree with me. They are getting a big kick out of it, so am I.

I'm no child. I know, what does that mean? How about I am not a child. Is it "way clear"? Does that "works " for you? :thumbup: