Allen Hopkins Pro turn-out??

Socopool79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've obviously never gambled for a living.

10:1 on your money when you're a 20:1 dog is bad gambling. You'd end up losing 100k trying to win 100k.

1:1 on your money when you're 50/50 or a slight favorite is much better, as you're not going to match up in a game where you're not the favorite if you're smart.

Your flat statement "10:1 on your money" is why I've been playing poker full time for 5 years. People just look at the odds on their money or how much money is in the middle......they forget what the odds of them actually winning are.

Not true ill explain later

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, the short answer is, you can't.

Poker is a game of skill that involves aspects of chance.

Pool is just a game of skill.

One of the biggest reasons for the poker boom is Chris Moneymaker. He was just an ordinary John Doe no one had ever heard of. He won poker's world championship. (Also, his last name just coincidentally looked great on paper as well)

This helped put poker on the map for the ordinary man. Pool will never have So and So from the local pool room winning the world championship or US Open.

Never say never. This is more likely to happen than ever. There are tons of new reasons why you don't know certain players. The tournaments have little or no equity so great players are staying home. Some are not playing at all. choosing new pastimes.(Like poker). There is a better chance now than ever that an unknown could decide to practice for some unknown reason and snap one of these event off. The problem is; will anyone see it? Other than a few hundred guys who can afford $50.00 for PPV, very few will see it.

Untill we figure a way to have payouts that are not based on entry fees, this game is dead.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro Player Turn-Out

Watchez,

Once again I agree with you.
The added money this year is $60,000.
If the fields are full, the total payouts will exceed $160,000.
One Pocket (64 players) has $10,000 added.
10-ball and 8-ball (96 players) each have $25,000 added.

I loved Grady's event. Held at Flamingo in Reno.
$1,100 entry. Last place got $1,000 prize.
He had 108 players. This was jan. of 1993.
I don't remember the added money.
This is where I met Julian and Dean-Grady's helpers and future accu-stat guys.
Everybody was there!

And that is a good idea to revive.
More stuff to think about- beats thinking about a $10,000 entry or whatever else these guys come up with.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
You don't think 64 players in the country or world could get staked or go 50/50 or any kind of piece meal to put together 2000? That's a shame. The pool players want bigger payouts than have higher entry fees. Players who don't wanna put up 2000 grand well maybe they can do a satellite tourney or something. Do a mini tournament 10 players for 200 bucks winner gets into the main tournament. Where there's a will there's a way.

People have tried high entry fee events. Dan Tull did a $3000 entry bar table ring game event that drew nineteen stone killers in 2007. There was no added money. It was a great event. He did it the next year for $2K entry and $5K added and got twenty one I think. Finally gave it up because it took so much time and manpower to put together and run.

Allen Hopkins tried a $5K entry event and got twelve players. I was at all three events. I like the idea of higher entry fees and have been working on some ideas for small field/high entry events.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
So like poker how do we mix the pros with say players who really don't think they could win but if they got lucky they might have a shot to at least cash and have a good story to tell. It seems to me like the game needs to be "luckier" for this to happen which is almost counter intuitive to what everyone wants (tighter pockets, 10 foot pool tables, etc, etc). How do we make the game luckier to where skill will come ahead in the long run but luck will play a part in the out come so that the same 2-4 guys don't always win.

Pool is not poker. It is a skill game. Proof of that is that it is possible I could win the WSOP. It is impossible I could win the US Open 10 Ball.

No one in pool has ever started playing and won a major event two or three years later. Happens all the time in poker.

I suppose you could have the worlds biggest three ball tournament. You should take a shot at that.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool is not poker.
pool is not poker

And forget about all those great players that left pool to play poker. They are not coming back. Pool does not need them. Pool needs fresh blood. Every viable sport needs new players.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have tried high entry fee events. Dan Tull did a $3000 entry bar table ring game event that drew nineteen stone killers in 2007. There was no added money. It was a great event. He did it the next year for $2K entry and $5K added and got twenty one I think. Finally gave it up because it took so much time and manpower to put together and run.

Allen Hopkins tried a $5K entry event and got twelve players. I was at all three events. I like the idea of higher entry fees and have been working on some ideas for small field/high entry events.

I was at one of those events with you! IIRC, we got a couple of memorable photographs from that event!:D

Socopool79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've obviously never gambled for a living.

10:1 on your money when you're a 20:1 dog is bad gambling. You'd end up losing 100k trying to win 100k.

1:1 on your money when you're 50/50 or a slight favorite is much better, as you're not going to match up in a game where you're not the favorite if you're smart.

Your flat statement "10:1 on your money" is why I've been playing poker full time for 5 years. People just look at the odds on their money or how much money is in the middle......they forget what the odds of them actually winning are.

You do not have to gamble for a living to understand mathematics.
Explain to me how a player is 20 to 1 in this situation.

Last edited: