Am I Just Chasing A Dream?

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep the dream alive Johnnyt!!

Keep the dream alive Johnnyt.I plan to keep on playing until I am unable to hold my cue anymore.I know a lot of older gentlemen who still shoot lights out and are 70+.As far as pursueing the dream of A player regardless of age.I will seek that goal until I am dead.I want to know when its all said and done.That I played the best possible game of pool on this earth that I was capable of.That is a lot of the beauty of the game for me.Knowing that like chess it is almost impossible to master it completely in a single lifetime.You can only hope to gain some sort of proffeciency.Keep shooting for your goal Johnnyt.I enjoy reading your posts and insite on the game.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt...Yes, there are 70 year old A players out there. Don Harp is one. He consistently finishes high in national tournaments...and not just the super senior divisions either!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Don Harp is a very strong player, not even considering his age! He seems to take a lot of pride in his game and his knowledge of it, always trying new shafts and tapers. I think this has to do with your ability to grow as a player, staying excited about new things, and being motivated by excitement to manifest them.

What about Frank the Barber or Francisco Gallindo (spelling?). They may not be in their 70's, but they shoot pretty damn good. They're easily 'A' players.

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
What's in a number ?

I'm not concerned with what I am at any given time and I don't care what other people think I am.

Whether I'm an "A" now or on my there , the day I stop tryng to improve is the day I give up the game.

If I was an "A" now I still be trying to improve.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great answer! As a full-time instructor, I know that teachers have the highest retention rate of information. I am always trying to improve...both as an instructor, and as a player (I'm 56). I know randyg is 62, and playing the best pool of his life!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What's in a number ?

I'm not concerned with what I am at any given time and I don't care what other people think I am.

Whether I'm an "A" now or on my there , the day I stop tryng to improve is the day I give up the game.

If I was an "A" now I still be trying to improve.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Chase the dream man, and enjoy it!

I don't know how old John Henderson is (69?) but he is playing very good...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a lot of you know (and are tired of hearing), I'm 68 yo. I started playing again on a bar box about a year ago after 5 years off for health reasons. I was a "B+" on a bar table for years. Some pros and shortstops said I was an "A", but while I've had a lot of "A" nights over the years for the money I still played like a "B+" most of the time. I believe they just didn't want to give me enough weight to be a close to fair game.

My question is this. I don't get around much anymore; so really don't know the answer. A few friends and decent themselves have said, "Johnny, you're never going to be an "A" player at your age anymore. Look around and see how many 70 olds are "A" players. Your chasing something that's not likely to happen. Are there many 70 year olds that play "A" around the country? Thank You. Johnnyt

There are alot of A players over 70. just go to the One Pocket HOF dinner at the Derby every year and you'll see a room full of A players with gray hair.

There is no doubt in my mind you can do it. Become a A player. But I think in the overall picture thats not the main thing-in my opinion.

and the main question is: Are you haveing fun? I think you are, and its good for your health to keep you active. Your writing a book. Your active here with great posts. Pool is a big part of your life, correct? You seem to be doing all these things and having fun I thinks the main thing. Dont worry about being a world beater there are only 50 people in that catagory in the whole world out of a million people who play. But of course try and play your best every shot you shoot.

best of luck,,

your buddy Fatboy,

PS: I can relate to you in a way here, thats why I made a very sincer post, I took alot of time to think of it. With my back operations/problems thats taken away alot of things in my life at a young age. It hasnt helped my pool game, for example i was playing $50/game 1P 3 weeks ago and I had the best of it, I was down 1 game after the first 5, I was cold when we started, I could see that I was going to win the session without a doubt(maybe 5-7 games), anyways after I broke in the 6th game and was up a couple balls in the game my back had a spasm, real real bad. I was done for the night. The guy I was playing knows me and understood-he let me out of that game(I was ahead anyways). I payed him $50 for the one game I owed and went in the back of the poolroom and layed down for 2 hours(I wasnt able to drive). My point is I'm not awalys able to play and when i gamble I tell who I'm playing about whats up with my back, so they dont think i'm pulling a move. Despite my health problems it dosent stop me from playing. I know your problems are differnt than mine-but I'm a fighter and so are you. Keep playing buddy!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thank you all for the responses and the many kind words. Between this thread and the "Racking Secrets" dvd's of Joe Tucker's that I got a few days ago I'M PUMPED UP…"A" TRAIN HERE I COME. Thanks all. Johnnyt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 55 now, (yeah, a kid to you. LOL), but I can't even read the numbers on the balls. Yet, I take tidbits from on here, incorporate them as my knowledge and experience dictates, and I am playing as good as I ever have. Even Genes DVD raised my game, and I haven't even seen it. I picked up a couple of keys items about it on here, thought about it, and incorporated it into my game. I'm missing a lot less now.

Whippersnapper!! {I'm 60, LOL!}

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Any semblance to the Man of La Mancha is purely coincidental :)

To dream the impossible dream
To beat the unbeatable 9-ball ghost
To play with the Pros who play mean
To run balls when an APA 5 would just coast

To right the unrightable safety
To stroke pure and shoot hot
To keep form even when your arms are too weary
To reach for the bridge on that unreachable shot

This is Johnny's quest
To become a pool star
No matter what people say
No matter how far

To lag for the break
Without question or pause
To be willing to up the stakes
For a sweet hustling cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And I'll play you now and here
Skeptical that I can still move the rock
Still I strove with my last ounce of beer
To reach for the bridge on that unreachable shot

Last edited:

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ya got somthing eles you would rather be doing....? Freinds, they can be worse than wives somtimes. Laugh when you get the worst of it, bit*h because you always get the best of it....Fire away, we'll know when you get there your next thread will be "whats the best way to tell the wife your going on the road"...

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Think of it this way:

If you choose to chase the dream there is a finish line. You may not finish first, but you will finish. You will also have a lot of stories and memories to go along with that race.

If you choose to sit out the race the only stories you will have to tell are the stories you hear from other people.

It is a far better experience to dream and lose than to not dream at all. Ya'all can quote that and rep me for it to your heart's content because for the first time ever I have typed something I deem a good post.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
As a lot of you know (and are tired of hearing), I'm 68 yo. I started playing again on a bar box about a year ago after 5 years off for health reasons. I was a "B+" on a bar table for years. Some pros and shortstops said I was an "A", but while I've had a lot of "A" nights over the years for the money I still played like a "B+" most of the time. I believe they just didn't want to give me enough weight to be a close to fair game.

My question is this. I don't get around much anymore; so really don't know the answer. A few friends and decent themselves have said, "Johnny, you're never going to be an "A" player at your age anymore. Look around and see how many 70 olds are "A" players. Your chasing something that's not likely to happen. Are there many 70 year olds that play "A" around the country? Thank You. Johnnyt

For chrissake's just play and practice and get to be as good as you can and have fun doing it! Who the hell decides who's an A player anyway. There is NO rating/ranking system. JA and SVB are A players and the rest of us are NOT. Go hit some balls because it's fun getting to be as good as you can be and take pride in the fact that you have the dedication necessary to have the skills you have.

If the process ain't fun then quit beacuse it's not about the reward of a ranking. It's about the process.... the trip.

Sounds to me like you're wanting rewards and if that's the case then go to the ph and play some. Maybe you get rewarded and maybe you get spanked and sent home to practice some more.

And age doesn't have anything to do with anything. Stop comparing yourself with all the others. Sure there are some kids that can play. And there are some other geezers that can play some too. Buddy can play and Nick can play and they, like us, are on the geezer list. Who's gunna say you're an A or a B? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Just go play pool and work at it and get better and if you need further rewards beyond seeing the improvement then go see if you can play.

I have just talked to you with the tone you use. Tough talk. Nothing personal.,.. just trying to get the idea into your head.

Are you chasing a dream? Hell YES! Now... stfu about being old and chase the motherfvucker all the way to the grave.

Are we clear?

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For chrissake's just play and practice and get to be as good as you can and have fun doing it! Who the hell decides who's an A player anyway. There is NO rating/ranking system. JA and SVB are A players and the rest of us are NOT. Go hit some balls because it's fun getting to be as good as you can be and take pride in the fact that you have the dedication necessary to have the skills you have.

If the process ain't fun then quit beacuse it's not about the reward of a ranking. It's about the process.... the trip.

Sounds to me like you're wanting rewards and if that's the case then go to the ph and play some. Maybe you get rewarded and maybe you get spanked and sent home to practice some more.

And age doesn't have anything to do with anything. Stop comparing yourself with all the others. Sure there are some kids that can play. And there are some other geezers that can play some too. Buddy can play and Nick can play and they, like us, are on the geezer list. Who's gunna say you're an A or a B? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Just go play pool and work at it and get better and if you need further rewards beyond seeing the improvement then go see if you can play.

I have just talked to you with the tone you use. Tough talk. Nothing personal.,.. just trying to get the idea into your head.

Are you chasing a dream? Hell YES! Now... stfu about being old and chase the motherfvucker all the way to the grave.

Are we clear?

LMAO...very clear...thank you. Are you from Brooklyn lol. Johnnyt

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hesitant to have this be my first post here but I can't help myself.

You guys are being a bit too optimistic here. Maybe I'm too much of a realist but the fact is our skills do diminish as we get older. Why do you think the world was so shocked when Tom Watson almost won the British Open this past year. I know golf and pool don't require the exact same physical abilites but it is interesting to note.

So, I think you have to fight to add new skills and abilities to your game in order to offset the diminishing physical abilities. I think it is a curve that you have to stay ahead of. I think I good example of this would be the break in nine-ball. Say you came to the conclusion that you couldn't smash the break the way you used to. Well, you could spend countless hours trying to regain the ability to crush the break. Or you could accept the fact that you have lost something on your break and now you need to focus more closely on where that one ball (and others) is going after the break.

Just my thoughts.

Back to my basment.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Quick question Johnny,

You seen like a nice guy and pretty level headed. Have you had those days where you shot like an "A" player? Those days don't occur by accident. You achieved the dream, even if temporarily. Those are the days that keep me motivated for months at a time. And boy is it a blast getting there!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Quick question Johnny,

You seen like a nice guy and pretty level headed. Have you had those days where you shot like an "A" player? Those days don't occur by accident. You achieved the dream, even if temporarily. Those are the days that keep me motivated for months at a time. And boy is it a blast getting there!

Yes, as stated above I've had my "A" times. I've had nights that everything just clicked. It seemed like the game was easy. Johnnyt

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
a pleasure

Johnny ,youre always a pleasure to have in the chat room when I do
a stream . I believe you can do anything you really want to do .From
reading your post you seem like a very self determined person and have
made a come back even at the level you are now. I quit playing for 15
yrs and started back about 4 yrs ago .Its been alot harder than I thought
but I will not settle for less than what I know I can do.Hang with it and
I believe you can . I heard this the other day and I thought it was a great
statement. To Play the Game is Great
To Win the Game is Greater
To Love the Game is the Greatest of ALL

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Dream

If that is your dream go for it. For every rule, there is an exception, be the exception, Johnny.

As we get older though, we do change. We don't have the same desires or drive that we had when we were younger.

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree wholeheartedly with all the folks on here who've enthusiastically encouraged you to pursue your dream. Where I diverge from them a little is to point out that this dream is a tough one, and will require sacrifices.

I doubt that you can achieve A player status at your age if you continue to spend so much time reading and posting in forums, watching and commenting on streams, playing friendly matches with friends, etc.

Improving at any age is tough, and it only gets harder as you get older, because you're fighting physical factors that younger people don't yet have to.

I believe you can do it, based on your descriptions of your current level of play, and on the overflow of vitality and optimism you seem to have for everything about this game. BUT, you'll have to focus that on your goal.

Map out all your weaknesses, and getting professional help doing this would be very valuable. Put together a plan to strengthen those weaknesses, and to be able to measure your progress. Work the plan, then work it some more, and work on it more after that.

Tough goals such as yours can be achieved, but almost never are because to do so usually requires a nearly all consuming passion and dedication. You seem to have that passion for the game, but do you have it for this goal? Do you want it that badly?