Am I Just Chasing A Dream?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If that is your dream go for it. For every rule, there is an exception, be the exception, Johnny.

As we get older though, we do change. We don't have the same desires or drive that we had when we were younger.

Oh I have a lot more desire to get better now than when I was younger. I was lucky that I had natural talent for pool right from the start. When I stopped getting better I was too lazy to work on my game to get better. Altough I always enjoyed pool, I was in it mostly for the money and the rush of gambling. Now I want to get better so I have to pay my back dues and practice. I don't mind as long as I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I joined Tony Cosby's tour, but won't play on it until I know I can at least be some what compietive on it. If a good bar box tournament comes around the area I'll play in that now. Watching streaming from AZ. in bar box tournaments, I got the names of who were playing on the stream and then looked their AZ. rankings up. I know I can hold my own with the "A" players I saw. Johnnyt

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm sure you're old enough to remember the lyrics to a popular chuck berry song...Go Johnny Go! :D

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Jack Colavita was around 70 years old, he ran 107 and unscrewed. He played open speed 9 ball around that time as well. You can do almost anything you put your mind to.

Christian

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't you? If your eyes and nerves are good go for it!

There was a player in San Diego named Max Olds who played at a 'A" level for a long time until Parkinson's (I think that's what he had) caught up to him.

If somebody was getting real mouthy I would say the "old" guy likes to play sometimes after he destroyed them they would say "he's so lucky".

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
"real" talent

I agree wholeheartedly with all the folks on here who've enthusiastically encouraged you to pursue your dream. Where I diverge from them a little is to point out that this dream is a tough one, and will require sacrifices.

I doubt that you can achieve A player status at your age if you continue to spend so much time reading and posting in forums, watching and commenting on streams, playing friendly matches with friends, etc.

Improving at any age is tough, and it only gets harder as you get older, because you're fighting physical factors that younger people don't yet have to.

I believe you can do it, based on your descriptions of your current level of play, and on the overflow of vitality and optimism you seem to have for everything about this game. BUT, you'll have to focus that on your goal.

Map out all your weaknesses, and getting professional help doing this would be very valuable. Put together a plan to strengthen those weaknesses, and to be able to measure your progress. Work the plan, then work it some more, and work on it more after that.

Tough goals such as yours can be achieved, but almost never are because to do so usually requires a nearly all consuming passion and dedication. You seem to have that passion for the game, but do you have it for this goal? Do you want it that badly?

John Biddle, I like what you posted very much. Johnnyt has a lot to think about. Most people who knew me twenty years ago can't wait to tell the next noob in the pool room how poorly I used to play. I've had people ask me why do I practice so much , watch so many instructional videos, take so many pool lessons, play in so many pool tournaments in spite of the fact that I am not a professional pool player.

For the most part, people in general don't understand the driven nature of people like you or I. Some people even on this forum who love the game, don't understand the competitive drive that some people have. I laugh because some people think my practice looks like hard work. My practice habits, competitive drive and desire to learn are what makes me who I am, at least in the pool world. Most people are just plain lazy. Bob Rotella, one of sports best psychologist and mentor to real champions says that real talent is earned talent and it is THE MOST VALUABLE KIND OF TALENT. Bob Rotella knows that it the combination of character, attitude, and devotion that mkes greatness possible.

John Biddle gave you some excellent information. I'll give you a couple of other things that you can mull over and throw out the back door if you don't like them. Start going to EVERY Senior tournament in the country to test your mettle against them. I have been told that there are some tough old SOB's out there practicing harder now because they can. Lucky you, that you still have the physical ability to put in the long hours it requires to be competitive at this game.

Don't listen to anyone who says you can't be an A player. They are just telling you what they think about themselves and they really don't know you. You are your own man and you can choose to accept this goal without the negative comments from naysayers.

I haven't seen you play and I haven't seen your physical condition but if those and your competitive drive and love for pool are anything like what you write, I have no doubt that you can be an A player.

Make valuable use of your training time and put yourself in tournament competition with the best in your age group at every opportunity. That should tell you plenty about how far you have to go to reach an A player's status.

JoeyA

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
John Biddle, I like what you posted very much. Johnnyt has a lot to think about. Most people who knew me twenty years ago can't wait to tell the next noob in the pool room how poorly I used to play. I've had people ask me why do I practice so much , watch so many instructional videos, take so many pool lessons, play in so many pool tournaments in spite of the fact that I am not a professional pool player.

For the most part, people in general don't understand the driven nature of people like you or I. Some people even on this forum who love the game, don't understand the competitive drive that some people have. I laugh because some people think my practice looks like hard work. My practice habits, competitive drive and desire to learn are what makes me who I am, at least in the pool world. Most people are just plain lazy. Bob Rotella, one of sports best psychologist and mentor to real champions says that real talent is earned talent and it is THE MOST VALUABLE KIND OF TALENT. Bob Rotella knows that it the combination of character, attitude, and devotion that mkes greatness possible.

John Biddle gave you some excellent information. I'll give you a couple of other things that you can mull over and throw out the back door if you don't like them. Start going to EVERY Senior tournament in the country to test your mettle against them. I have been told that there are some tough old SOB's out there practicing harder now because they can. Lucky you, that you still have the physical ability to put in the long hours it requires to be competitive at this game.

Don't listen to anyone who says you can't be an A player. They are just telling you what they think about themselves and they really don't know you. You are your own man and you can choose to accept this goal without the negative comments from naysayers.

I haven't seen you play and I haven't seen your physical condition but if those and your competitive drive and love for pool are anything like what you write, I have no doubt that you can be an A player.

Make valuable use of your training time and put yourself in tournament competition with the best in your age group at every opportunity. That should tell you plenty about how far you have to go to reach an A player's status.

JoeyA

Great advice!
Rep

Steve

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny- what do you care what anyone thinks! Just kick as much young butt as you can. There is nothing sweeter than a young guy thinking the old guy he drew is a push over and you kick him where it hurts! Rock on Johnny! Remember the 60's? Don't let the man tell you what you are...tell the man knock me over if you can, but I will make you pay!

Bob Campbell