American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was correctly handled, as there is no option to accept the table in the case of an unsportsmanlike foul, which is treated like a third consecutive foul. The rules require for a rerack.
By the World Standardized Rules, which I think they are using, there is no specified penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. There is no required rerack. The official decides what will be done. It might be a rerack, or it might not.

DeeDeeCues

Maybe, but that seems to be what they spend most of their time doing.

It is. No other sport attempts to call the next play, tho.

The commentators seem to be trying to prove how smart they are, and failing. They should watch snooker where they will note things like two reds are on.

Comment on how great a shot was, or how things didn't turn out well.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is. No other sport attempts to call the next play, tho.

The commentators seem to be trying to prove how smart they are, and failing. They should watch snooker where they will note things like two reds are on.

Comment on how great a shot was, or how things didn't turn out well.
I'm happy for them to talk about the players' options and the pros and cons of different patterns, but they do seem to love the phrasing of "he'll do X next" and then are very often wrong.

DeeDeeCues

I'm happy for them to talk about the players' options and the pros and cons of different patterns, but they do seem to love the phrasing of "he'll do X next" and then are very often wrong.

I saw a match once where the guy's predictions were wrong so often he basically said that the player didn't know what he was doing. He then proceeded to barely utter a word. Went from the worst commentary to the best.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
By the World Standardized Rules, which I think they are using, there is no specified penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. There is no required rerack. The official decides what will be done. It might be a rerack, or it might not.
Good point. I have no idea what rule set is in use, but in the events that I have played, there was no option to accept the table. Thanks for the insights.

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched the shot now many times, slow-motion frame by frame. Corey in no way touched an object ball when he shot the combo in the stack and scratched. If that was the call, it was bad. (Upstate-Al in the booth says that was the call).

If it was unsportsmanlike conduct, it is the nittiest call I've seen in years. Corey didn't "slam" his cue down at all, he let it go limp in his hand when he saw the scratch and the shaft touched the table.

Either way, it was a bad call. Didn't seem to influence the outcome however.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
More three-foul rule/refereeing drama on the main stream again today...

Looks like the ref called some kind of intentional foul/unsportsmanlike conduct on Deuel, and then reracked the balls even though Appleton would have been better off with the balls spread out on the table.
That was a ref. Mistake. Balls were to be placed back by agreement of the players or disqualification to the player for his actions of the balls were more in such positions that original placement area of the balls could not be determined. I did not see directly what happened but I'm at the event and there a re unhappy people from what happened.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looked 100000% wrong to me. Under any accepted rule set in pool.

Ref screwed up

If I’m wrong please correct me. I want to learn. Please let me know if I’m wrong and why.

Thanks in advance

Fatboy<——-is pretty certain but will defer to the smart rule guys. Thanks again

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kind of strange because Karl called an unsportsmanlike foul yesterday and penalized the player 15 pts. but did not call for a rerack. ???

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a match once where the guy's predictions were wrong so often he basically said that the player didn't know what he was doing. He then proceeded to barely utter a word. Went from the worst commentary to the best.
Was Grady the announcer? He was always wrong.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I agree, pool commentary overall is like a d...k measuring contest. Give me a mic and let me tell
33 people how much I think I know about pool. I would do this, I would do that, he should of done this,,,nonstop.
I thought Corey did well. He wasn't predicticting what the player will or could do, didn't come off like a know it all.
He basically observed, explained options, what the player chose to do and why, in few words.
He complimented them repeatedly.

Yesterday they had two commentators fighting to get a word in calling the players pattern.
3 seconds later they say.... he fooled us again, and again, and again, for the entire match.
I researched one guy. He practically pole vaults whenever he uses power, his feet leave his shoes, amongst other things, he should speak less and just report the news. He's won like $1.27 in ten years.
I think he could be a good commentator, if he stopped loving hearing himself talk.

What's worse than a rotation commentator predicting patterns?
Answer: A straight pool commentator with so much time between shots they get potty mouth fever
until they get lock jaw. They unhinge the jaw and keep going.
I like to hear the balls click so I'm forced to listen, my volume is off now.
I appreciate the stream, never comment in the chat, I always donate.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree, pool commentary overall is like a d...k measuring contest. Give me a mic and let me tell
33 people how much I think I know about pool. I would do this, I would do that, he should of done this,,,nonstop.
I thought Corey did well. He wasn't predicticting what the player will or should do, didn't come off like a know it all.
He basically observed, explained options, what the player chose to do and why, in few words.
He complimented them repeatedly.

Yesterday they had two commentators fighting to get a word in calling the players pattern.
3 seconds later they say.... he fooled us again, and again, and again, for the entire match.
I researched one guy. He practically pole vaults whenever he uses power, his feet leave his shoes, amongst other things, he should speak less and just report the news. He's won like $1.27 in ten years.
I think he could be a good commentator, if he stopped loving hearing himself talk.

What's worse than a rotation commentator predicting patterns?
Answer: A straight pool commentator with so much time between shots they get potty mouth fever
until they get lock jaw. They unhinge the jaw and keep going.
I like to hear the balls click so I'm forced to listen, my volume is off now.
I appreciate the stream, never comment in the chat, I always donate.
I will stick with a comment I've made for many years. About one shot in four requires any commentary at all. Let the production breathe and the play will usually speak for itself. The best at doing so are Alex Lely and Billy Incardona, who selectively point out the options rather than predicting the shot and, after the fact, analyze the choice made if it merits any further discussion. These two let the play come to the viewer.

By my standards, the number of good English-language commentators in the sport of pool is a one-digit number and there are only about six that I don't mute.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
That was a bullcrap call. I think Karl is taking to the heat, he should back up a little, give him a breather.
Definitely changed the outcome. I don't want to hear they both had a chance to win, the rolls go both ways.
Darren had every right to be pissed and Corey wasn't going to argue.
When your heart rate goes from 0-100 in a second it's tough to bring it back down.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will stick with a comment I've made for many years. About one shot in four requires any commentary at all. Let the production breathe and the play will usually speak for itself. The best at doing so are Alex Lely and Billy Incardona, who selectively point out the options rather than predicting the shot and, after the fact, analyze the choice made if it merits any further discussion. These two let the play come to the viewer.

By my standards, the number of good English-language commentators in the sport of pool is a one-digit number and there are only about six that I don't mute.

Must disagree, Stu.

First off, virtually all commentators nowadays, including Billy, are proposing possible shots non-stop. I just watched Tony/Alex and Gail asked me why I had the sound off and I told her it was the non-stop shot predictions. Personally, I could have used more analysis of why, post shot, it was selected.

The udder thing is that the majority of players could use a little help knowing what to watch for and why the player would or should go that way. That’s not everyone and perhaps guys like you and me are better off hitting “mute.”

Lou Figueroa

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Must disagree, Stu.

First off, virtually all commentators nowadays, including Billy, are proposing possible shots non-stop. I just watched Tony/Alex and Gail asked me why I had the sound off and I told her it was the non-stop shot predictions. Personally, I could have used more analysis of why, post shot, it was selected.

The udder thing is that the majority of players could use a little help knowing what to watch for and why the player would or should go that way. That’s not everyone and perhaps guys like you and me are better off hitting “mute.”

Lou Figueroa
Well said, Lou. Our requirements as viewers may differ from those of the more casual fan.