Any drills?

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know of any drills posted online for the public to review? I'm always looking for new safey/defense and bank shot drills.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Two things come in to play on safety/defensive shots. One is being able to see where you want to send the cue ball, and the other is being able to do so.
You can practice setting up a single shot, and sending the cue ball to various spots on the table off the same shot.
There are no drills other than experience that will help you see where you need to send the cue ball.

Steve

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the feedback guys. I just think that there must be at least a handful of textbook safeties that come up all the time. Just as there are shots that constantly come up with straight pool, and the same for 9ball, etc...

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drills

Anyone know of any drills posted online for the public to review? I'm always looking for new safey/defense and bank shot drills.

I dont know if anything is posted online. I have drills that I give students. In banks I break the balls open wide. Take cue ball in hand on every shot. Using the same firm stroke try and run all the balls off the table with ball in hand everytime. If you miss keep trying and see how many shots it takes you to clear the table. Depending on how the rack breaks and how easy/hard the table is to pocket. Of course how good you are is another factor in how many shots it should take. You should set a goal and try and beat it. I've done it in 17 shots and I've seen it done in sixteen. What it does is train your mind to make and recognize a straight in firm hit bank. Then if one comes into play that is slightly off , you know it at a glance and can adjust. It's improved my banking significantly for both banks and one pocket. Certainly can't hurt.
JerseyBill

Last edited:

Colomblanco

Registered
play safeties in practice games

Some people will get pissed at me if I play a safety during a friendly game. How are you supposed to play good safeties if you only play them during matches?

One thing that helped me a lot is practicing safeties within a foot. All I do is touch the ball so it lands on the backside of a ball against a rail. I use that one all the time.

Another game I practice is where one person runs out solids and the other person can only play a safety on every shot. Even better, if you play that game against yourself, you'll get better at safeties and kicking too.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Try playing 9-ball, where the only way to win is to 3-foul your opponent.

Steve

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime you come across a situation where you cant make an easy shot, take a quick snap shot with your phone and find the most reliable safty. Keep setting it up the same way unitil you find it...Try to use the simplest path as possible. Use the picture as a quick reference if layout is complex.

Although there maybe specific drills you can do that come up in the game more then others. IMO if you can duplicate any shot and shoot it over and over you will add to your bank of skills/safties.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
one exercise I know of that helps a lot on those little touch safetys

is put the CB in the center of the table.. and see how many strokes you can take towards a side pocket(no OB) without sinking the ball or touching a rail..

CB must move at least 1 inch on each stroke

that light little touch stroke is a nice little tool to have in the bag

good luck

Last edited:

Sandmann187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
newtons cradle

I am not a pro or anywhere near it, but I do think I have a couple of good safeties in my arsenal.

One that I teach to lower skilled players than myself is a shot I call the newton's cradle shot.

This happens when 2 balls are frozen or near frozen to each other. You want the cue ball to be facing your object fall to creat a perfect line between the 3 balls.

hit the object ball with a center hit and with only enough speed to send the non object ball to the rail.

Result: cue ball and object ball frozen to each other.

in 8 ball you will have unfrozen your opponents ball from yours and locked him behind your object ball.

9 ball you will have created a very tough shot.

I hope I explained this correctly. I am not too sure how to do the diagrams.

BTW: newton's cradle is that puzzle where you have 5 metal balls hanging from a string. If you pull one up and let it hit the stack only 1 ball swings the other way and they keep doing this back and forth.