Apr. 10-14, 2017 US Open Straight Pool Championship

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there another event coinciding with the US Open this year or something?

It is scheduled for Monday to Friday. The weekend before there is a Joss tour stop in Utica (about a 3-hour drive from Windsor Locks). I think the dates are about as good as you could get.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoroughly enjoyed last year's event. Spectating with food and drink at one's back made it even more enjoyable. Mark Kulungian is an excellent host. If the field remains small, there might be a surprise at the end.
By the way, if there were a Golden Age of Straight Pool, the De Oro, Taberski, Ponzi, Greenleaf, Mosconi, Crane, for example, the fields were remarkably small by today's standards.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be up for the first four days. Would love to see some great performances from good guys such as Messrs. Barouty, Jewett, and Chin.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be there wed to fri. I'll be the guy sitting by the bar watching the pool matches. Look for me.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We're just 4 days away from the event. 11 entrants so far (without Smith).

Will we have any streaming from this event? I can find nothing about it on the CSI website.

Anyone know?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
listed as April 10-14, but anyone know when things really start up? is the first day (Monday) really just a players' meeting, or is there actual play then? any other hints about the schedule?

i am definitely going, but don't want to kill a Monday for zero matches or 1 match...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The tournament is supposed to start TOMORROW!

The CSI entry list now numbers 13.

Are any parts of this going to be streamed?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
listed as April 10-14, but anyone know when things really start up? is the first day (Monday) really just a players' meeting, or is there actual play then? any other hints about the schedule?

i am definitely going, but don't want to kill a Monday for zero matches or 1 match...

Last year, when they had 20 players, play did start on the first evening. But this year .... ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last year, when they had 20 players, play did start on the first evening. But this year .... ?

I have heard second hand that the matches will start at 4PM on Monday. I'm basing my arrival time on that rumor.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think there is such a small showing? Super Billiards expo, Appleton's 8 ball tour, and this tournament. All in a two week span. Why aren't more players staying in the area for all three tournaments? Souquet played in New York. Why is he not here?
The pool hall is nice. Nice hosts. Plenty of hotels that are not really expensive. Cheaper than the hotels closest to SBE, And way cheaper than anything in NY.
I will be there Wed thru Fri. Hope to see a good turn out of fans.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Any streaming?

There may be a few good matches to watch.

Disappointing turnout.

Will Maynard

Registered
Day one complete at Pool Table Magic, Windsor Locks, CT. A strong field with lots of quality matches and good runs. Check it out on cuescore.com. at link from AtLarge post below.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day one complete at Pool Table Magic, Windsor Locks, CT. A strong field with lots of quality matches and good runs. Check it out on cuescore.com. at link from AtLarge post below.

yeah even though the turnout is small, these are some very strong 14.1 players.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many players do the get at the qualifying tournaments ?
We had four in the California qualifier. One problem is that it was scheduled for only two weeks before the Open and it is harder to arrange travel/vacation on short notice. It's possible I was the only player in the qualifier who could/would have gone.