Apr. 10-14, 2017 US Open Straight Pool Championship

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
on the cuescore stats what is "HB"?

Probably "high break".

Correct. If you hover your mouse over the "HB," it shows "Highest break."

"Break" is a snooker term, of course. Here it means high run. I wish they showed the high run for each player for each game rather than just the single highest run for the player in any of his games. But that's not part of the software.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Correct. If you hover your mouse over the "HB," it shows "Highest break."

"Break" is a snooker term, of course. Here it means high run. I wish they showed the high run for each player for each game rather than just the single highest run for the player in any of his games. But that's not part of the software.

Yeah, I have a little trouble with the term 'high break'...to me, it's 'high run'.

..and what's with 'race to 100'?....that term is already taken, and it means something else.
...100 point match does the job.....or just...100 points.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I have a little trouble with the term 'high break'...to me, it's 'high run'.

..and what's with 'race to 100'?....that term is already taken, and it means something else.
...100 point match does the job.....or just...100 points.

I agree, pt. The first time I remember hearing the term "race" for a straight-pool game was when Charlie Williams (not really familiar with straight pool) started his "World" events. Now even tournament directors are using that terminology.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, pt. The first time I remember hearing the term "race" for a straight-pool game was when Charlie Williams (not really familiar with straight pool) started his "World" events. Now even tournament directors are using that terminology.

Couldn't agree more. When I began playing 14.1 in the early 60's , it was points, 50, 75, whatever. Race to - not so much.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We had four in the California qualifier. One problem is that it was scheduled for only two weeks before the Open and it is harder to arrange travel/vacation on short notice. It's possible I was the only player in the qualifier who could/would have gone.

Finish bravely, Bob....you've actually made more balls than two players with a better
W/L record.
....at least you scared Shane off.....:)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's going on with Smith? The board shows him losing this round to Darigis already 100-0 in a match that started less than 15 minutes ago?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The current cuescore times are incorrect. The Round 7 matches except for Smith and Dudanets which was played this afternoon (evidently) are at 3PM Thursday.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considered the drive up from lower CT. but they want $20 to watch a 3 PM match to 100 points???
The second set of matches does not even begin to 9:30 at night--way too late for me to be driving home. Who planned an event with 100 point matches ALL starting together at 3PM and then NOT again until 9:30 at nite. I am NOT attending and you lost my $20. For an admission fee, they should have 4 matches at 1PM, 4 matches at 3:30, four at 6PM and 4 at 9PM. Who wants to see all 8 matches in the afternoon or evening played simultaneously--Terrible Planning and no value for the viewing$$ IMO

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Considered the drive up from lower CT. but they want $20 to watch a 3 PM match to 100 points???
The second set of matches does not even begin to 9:30 at night--way too late for me to be driving home. Who planned an event with 100 point matches ALL starting together at 3PM and then NOT again until 9:30 at nite. I am NOT attending and you lost my $20. For an admission fee, they should have 4 matches at 1PM, 4 matches at 3:30, four at 6PM and 4 at 9PM. Who wants to see all 8 matches in the afternoon or evening played simultaneously--Terrible Planning and no value for the viewing$$ IMO

You would never have to pay any admission if I had something to say about it....
....for obvious reasons.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is $20 for the night session as well.........one match to 100 points.

I am assuming the matches were so far apart in time last night because the pool room had leagues which probably starting at 7:00.

This didn't apply Monday and Tuesday because the pool room is closed on those days.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leagues--U.S Open on the same night- does not say much for the state of pool- does it? I doubt leagues were the reason- the mentality of people "running" pool tournaments is beyond bad IMO

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Finish bravely, Bob....you've actually made more balls than two players with a better
W/L record.
....at least you scared Shane off.....:)
Somehow I managed to finish in 5th (of 8) in my group which is much better than I expected after my first two matches. My arm felt unconnected to my brain the first day, or vice-versa.

My best shot of the tournament was a two-times-fuller shot when I was on two fouls and frozen to a ball. It probably wasn't on the stream, though.;)

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, Dudanets beats Hohmann, had a 100-ball run against someone, and didn't qualify for the final 8. Tough group!

The scoreboard shows 5 players (31% of the field) with 100-ball runs. It's possible that someone had more than one, but we can't tell from the board.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Semifinals Friday -- Immonen vs. Hohmann and Melling vs. Corteza.

That first one could be the final match in any 14.1 event for the last dozen years.

[I wonder why the results of the 2016 "World" event, won by Immonen, aren't in the AzB database.]

Last edited: