are these cushions dead?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Okay thanks for the info.
I will look into that app... that sounds interesting.
I was able to get 4x length but at break speed causing a jump off the rail.

the table has shims under the legs. the slate has screw in the middle to the frame.
I will look for any gaps.
solid wood frame with those blocks for the slate screws.
If your slates are screwed down in the middle, were they crowned in the middle to begin with? Becasue that's the ONLY reason to have to add slate screws to the middle of the slates.

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats crowning?
I assume they are screwed down in the middle cause Know connelly pre drill holes there.

update: I checked I dont have blocks the slate screws into. its another piece of wood that runs around the table glued to the sides.
I did see a few shims under the slate in a few places.

so the consensus is the rail height is the main offender not the cushions needing to be replaced?
how do you fix that?
anyone can recommend a good mechanic in westchester county, New York

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm glad this thread came along, been wondering about 'what's about normal' on how many rails,
I've seen glen say he can get 6-7 rails, I'm saying "dam", the best I'm
getting is 3 1/2 to 3/4 on a reasonable slam, as hard as I want to anyways.

Does the length mean anything, I'm at 102"? No bumps bounce, seems to stay smooth
on the table. I don't have the heat on now out there, I'm thinking a nice warm cushion
is going give a better response, I hope.
great stuff here, thanks

realkingcobra

Silver Member
whats crowning?
I assume they are screwed down in the middle cause Know connelly pre drill holes there.

update: I checked I dont have blocks the slate screws into. its another piece of wood that runs around the table glued to the sides.

so the consensus is the rail height is the main offender not the cushions needing to be replaced?
how do you fix that?
What are you measuring the nose height with? How thick are the rails? You don't know what a crowned slate is?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I shouldn't have even given you people this much information because of my being banned the last time....for being argumentative because i KNOW what I'm talking about, and a bunch of you just feel inspired to argue with me like YOU know better, just because you THINK you do!!! Hell, i might get banned again right now...who knows!!!!!!

Calm down Glen. No one is arguing with you. They are paying attention to what you have to say. Why assume that there will be an argument before it happens. That's a sure fire way to create a negative outcome.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm glad this thread came along, been wondering about 'what's about normal' on how many rails,

Does the length mean anything, I'm at 102"? No bumps bounce, seems to stay smooth
on the table. I don't have the heat on now out there, I'm thinking a nice warm cushion
great stuff here, thanks

A table that plays right should be able to bounce the cue ball 4 1/2 - 5 times the length of the table, and should be able to shoot the cue ball around the table at minimum 7 banks, preferably 9, with the cue ball just barely laying against the 9th rail. That exposes the flow of the tables rails and playing surface working together.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
whats crowning?

how do you fix that?

If you bought this table new, why wouldn't you contact who you bought it from?

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
measureing the rail height with a tape measure flat on felt.
photo.php

sorry dont know what a crowned slate is.
again, sorry , dont know the thickness of the rails. wouldnt I have to remove them to measure?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
A T square might give you a more accurate measurement.

Crown slate = hump (high) in the middle.

measureing the rail height with a tape measure flat on felt.

photo.php

sorry dont know what a crowned slate is.
again, sorry , dont know the thickness of the rails. wouldnt I have to remove them to measure?

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
reserach for 1 year
purchased from ozone billiards. they had (name withheld local NJ installer) I spoke with this installer when I was considering a used table. this or local patio store.
checked here for local guy but just found imperial dealers.

this was an absolute nightmare. biggest regret.
e mails and phone calls going back and fourth. people denying what was discussed in those calls . after consulting a guy who repairs old tables. I settled, only to have new concerns.

so I am just trying to figure what I need done and how much it will cost.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really really dig the table specs and table talk.
Please let us know what the exact problem is when you do find out.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks pretty close to 1 7/16 to me. Not sure what to think now. Inferior cushions? Let us know what you and Glen figure out.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

great stuff here, thanks
I think you're confusing what Glen is saying. 4-1/2 to 5 lengths if you are rolling a ball straight up and down the table or straight across the table. When is says 7-9 rails around the table, he means shooting the CB with running english around the table - using all the rails on the table. The running english and counting all rails the CB hits on it's trips around the table allow you to hit up to 9 cushions.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, now I got it, I’m short on both counts. There’s a small sweet spot where I don’t
catch a pocket, then the best is just touching 7, on acrylic.

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good talking with you last night

I was wondering maybe the rail height measurement is off... if for example the straight edge off the rail is pitched upward? ie the rail isnt laying flat on the slate.
later I will put a level on the rail

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is on acrylic?

:) .. the shot around of just barely 7 rails
on the table bed made of acrylic 1/2" x 1-1/2 build up

hopefully not a ban able offence...

At the time start of this project I went with what I had,
there is a discovery curve to all this, served its purpose
I've since have picked up some 1"slate, look to change out after the last details of a
matching light and the rack of racks' mounts are completed, its take'n a bit time to get
to this point, but I'm jaz'd, back able to shoot again...

A lot of your little tidbits were big, many thanks Glen...

OP, look at it as a road of how it all works.