are these cushions dead?

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...39055136677.2008650.1234470704&type=3&theater

so today I took the above photo. click on link. still cant figure how to attach pics
it appears that they never trimmed the felt along the reccess. it mae me wonder where they put the staples. maybe this is causing the rails from laying on the table.

I was able to slide a piece of paper under the rail maybe 1/2" or 3/8"
what is the average width of the recess to staple the felt to

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
photo.php

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Can't really tell, could be either K55 or K66 depending on how the sub rail was designed. If you can tell where the top of the cushion ends on the top of the sub rail, then measure from there out to the nose of the cushions, i can tell you then. Without being next to your table to check it out in person it's very difficult to ask and answer questions, because i speak mechanic and you speak customer.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
:) .. the shot around of just barely 7 rails

on the table bed made of acrylic 1/2" x 1-1/2 build up

hopefully not a ban able offence...

At the time start of this project I went with what I had,

there is a discovery curve to all this, served its purpose

I've since have picked up some 1"slate, look to change out after the last details of a

matching light and the rack of racks' mounts are completed, its take'n a bit time to get

to this point, but I'm jaz'd, back able to shoot again...

A lot of your little tidbits were big, many thanks Glen...

OP, look at it as a road of how it all works.

Holy hell where you get that cheap enough to use in lieu of the slate? I’ve bought some sheets before for building training oil/gas operations panels....that would cost me a grand for 3 big enough for a 8 or 9 ft.

I’m sure the wood plasticizers would love to make their juice with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have tried to measure the rail while on the table.
not easy or accurate.
its either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4. seems to get thicker further back where the pocket attaches. hard to take a pic and measure

it seems to me the rails are too high regardless of the rail thickness.
indeed, we do speak in different language.

visited an old hangout. tables arent kept up well anymore. but cushions had better action and they are lower check the green felt pic. never had a need to bring a tape measure before though.

just trying to figure how much lower they should be and what is causing it.

any comments about the cushion cloth going all the way under the rail. not being trimmed

tried creating an album of all the pics in one place.

https://www.facebook.com/fred.modesta/media_set?set=a.10210903509603801.1073741829.1234470704&type=3

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have tried to measure the rail while on the table.
not easy or accurate.
its either 1 5/8 or 1 3/4. seems to get thicker further back where the pocket attaches. hard to take a pic and measure

it seems to me the rails are too high regardless of the rail thickness.
indeed, we do speak in different language.

visited an old hangout. tables arent kept up well anymore. but cushions had better action and they are lower check the green felt pic. never had a need to bring a tape measure before though.

just trying to figure how much lower they should be and what is causing it.

any comments about the cushion cloth going all the way under the rail. not being trimmed

tried creating an album of all the pics in one place.

https://www.facebook.com/fred.modesta/media_set?set=a.10210903509603801.1073741829.1234470704&type=3
By most of these photos, the rail height appears to be 1-7/16, which is correct. It's difficult to measure rail height by measuring the height of the facings as you appeared to do in a few photos, as the facings don't run straight up and down, they are angled inward.

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a new square today.
put it on the slate
ran a straight edge (on its edge) across short rail and long rail
it was 1 3/4" where they intersect

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chrisin NC
I could flex the cushion about the same as the old green felted table. Granted I am not a mechanic and dont have a need to test alot of cushions.
but the green felted table had lower cushions and had better action.

I just dont know why I am not getting as good rebounds. so I am assuming the cushion height had something to do with it.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
For another point of reference, I get between 4.0 and 4.75 lengths on my 9 foot with SS cushions (about a year old). I feel like I might be able to get more, but I don't want to hit it any harder.

On the 9 railer test, I got 8. Again, I think it could get to 9, but I'm hesitant to give it everything.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For another point of reference, I get between 4.0 and 4.75 lengths on my 9 foot with SS cushions (about a year old). I feel like I might be able to get more, but I don't want to hit it any harder.

On the 9 railer test, I got 8. Again, I think it could get to 9, but I'm hesitant to give it everything.

That's a good response.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Going for 9, the CB bounced off the table on the third cushion, and came right at me and landed on the floor hard. The vinyl floor material transferred to the CB pretty good. I hope it comes off and did not actually scratch the CB itself.

Years ago, we used to try to see if anyone could get 10 rails in the pool hall. I got hit in the nuts off of my own attempt. It was painful, but funny as hell.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
…just thinking here, with the rail install maybe a little skewed and the cloth maybe not
stretched in all its glory could easily cost a length or more, my thinking anyways.

Did you say what your table scored? Nothing wrong with figuring it out but if this is a
new table/install... watch them figure it out.

…still thinking here, on my situation, when there is dead silence in the room I can hear
the ball roll, even more so with any kind of spin. I’m now thinking with the acrylic
surface so smooth, like glass, the cloth actually slips or slides from the impact of the
ball, not the right word I’m looking for (e ner sha), that cloth movement in front of the
ball would certainly create resistance. A half to a full length I’m thinking.

Soooo, looks like a disassemble; I’m thinking some wet 120 evenly applied will get the
1500 unused or so feel that slate has.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
…just thinking here, with the rail install maybe a little skewed and the cloth maybe not
stretched in all its glory could easily cost a length or more, my thinking anyways.

Did you say what your table scored? Nothing wrong with figuring it out but if this is a

…still thinking here, on my situation, when there is dead silence in the room I can hear
the ball roll, even more so with any kind of spin. I’m now thinking with the acrylic
surface so smooth, like glass, the cloth actually slips or slides from the impact of the
ball, not the right word I’m looking for (e ner sha), that cloth movement in front of the

Soooo, looks like a disassemble; I’m thinking some wet 120 evenly applied will get the

You might want to just skip ahead in your derams and buy a real pool table....LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Even if you mounted drop pockets on a coffee table, guess what....it just becomes a coffee table with drop pockets and over night it's not going to turn into a real pool table.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..ha, whaaateveeer, but still, when you're in the neighborhood, I can put you up for the night,
standard house bet, my game, you break...

Last edited: