Been days research cue options. Some questions. Pechauer butt (already have) with Predator Revo shaft? Different butt?

Thresh

I have been shooting with a pechauer for a while. I have the extension for it ($200+) and I like it. That said, I played with low deflection cues and they definitely made me better.

I have no interest in J Flowers since they're Chinese.

I really want to get a Predator Revo shaft. I think the 12.4 is the model for me. I can't tell (and honestly neither can Predator) if any of their options will fit my joint. I have the Pechauer Speed joint. I don't think it fits with the Predator shafts.

My question then is what to get. The Predator complete cues are stupid expensive, so they're out. I'm find with a used butt and getting something like a Revo shaf and mismatching.

I'm a little confused by cue tips and what to do. I use spin and finesse. I wouldn't be breaking with the cue. Suggestions for hardness is probably all over the place. I'm told I'm probably a 6 or 7 in league play. Efron isn't going to run screaming if I show up in a pool hall but I've held a bar table for hours.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? I'm pretty set on the Revo based on some research. Help me AZ people. I'm lost in decision fatigue here.
Cue tip hardness has basically zero effect. Dr Dave Billiards has videos on YouTube for this.

Pick a cue butt that you like. That's the correct answer. If two cue butts are the same length and weight, there is zero difference on performance or effect on the cue ball. Connect the shaft to a broom handle, it won't make a difference. Holding a cue butt in your hand you don't like will get in your head and will distract you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had Predator buts for years (also custom butts), and think they are great. I just recently got this butt with a revo shaft, and the combo looks great to me. The whole cue is $839, when paired with a $500 Revo, so the butt only comes out to $339. I doubt you will find much cheaper than that in the custom world unless you find something used. When I got mine a few months back, there was a sale and the whole thing was about $75 less I recall.

Also FYI, if you buy from JoeRackEM and do it over the phone, and do not live in Illinois, there is no tax and no shipping. That's how I got mine.

I've had Predator buts for years (also custom butts), and think they are great. I just recently got this butt with a revo shaft, and the combo looks great to me. The whole cue is $839, when paired with a $500 Revo, so the butt only comes out to $339. I doubt you will find much cheaper than that in the custom world unless you find something used. When I got mine a few months back, there was a sale and the whole thing was about $75 less I recall.

Also FYI, if you buy from JoeRackEM and do it over the phone, and do not live in Illinois, there is no tax and no shipping. That's how I got mine.

Very nice.

Zerksies

Buy and Try is your best tool. Tips can be changed .. your not stuck with any.
This is probably your best option. Revo shafts are a little stiffer then wood and you will get the wood stiffiness with a softer tip on a carbon shaft. If see most wooden shafts come with a medium tip and most carbons come with a soft tip.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are the predator butts US made, or Chinese?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the predator butts US made, or Chinese?
Butts and 314/Z shafts are Chinese manufactured, for about 15 years now. Before then, I think some were made in Canada by Falcon.

Revo shafts are made in Boston. I'm not sure if the raw tube is made in Asia and imported to Boston, or Boston also makes the raw tube.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue tip hardness has basically zero effect. Dr Dave Billiards has videos on YouTube for this.

Pick a cue butt that you like. That's the correct answer. If two cue butts are the same length and weight, there is zero difference on performance or effect on the cue ball. Connect the shaft to a broom handle, it won't make a difference. Holding a cue butt in your hand you don't like will get in your head and will distract you.
This is true as far as shot dynamics are concerned. The feedback and what you retain about the hit can be an entirely different thing.

Thresh

This is true as far as shot dynamics are concerned. The feedback and what you retain about the hit can be an entirely different thing.
The softer tips make less noise on the hit, I would think that would provide less feedback to you.

I use a Henry Hard on my playing cue. I've never had any issues. All soft tips eventually compress and become hard tips anyways.

I think Dr Dave proved it's all mental. IMO

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The softer tips make less noise on the hit, I would think that would provide less feedback to you.

I use a Henry Hard on my playing cue. I've never had any issues. All soft tips eventually compress and become hard tips anyways.

I think Dr Dave proved it's all mental. IMO
Well there's the cush involved with a soft tip. The whole thing in concert with the shot dynamics becomes a system that many would not feel comfortable changing.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
ForeRail and MrMojoRisin are trying to point you in the right direction.

I love my “Peach,” but the proprietary joint could be a stumbling block. I don’t want to be, “that guy,” who is always changing his shafts or other equipment in an effort to pass the buck.

But hey, I get it. The Revo is supposed to be the best, so if I were to go that route I would do the same as you.

Rusty in Montana

I've got a Pechauer cue with a wood and a Rogue shafts which hits a ball very well but for whatever reason I'm to Old school and like a wood shaft a bit better yes I know it's all in my head but still .

You don’t want a Predator butt, period. Read the cue makers section. Out of curiosity, I have not, have you tried Pechauers Carbon shaft. I would think they would have done extensive testing with their butts. Maybe someone has a link to compare them. I think Dr Dave may have done some tests.
Yeah I've searched this already. Rogue has higher deflection than the Revo. It would be the easy change.

I've got a Pechauer cue with a wood and a Rogue shafts which hits a ball very well but for whatever reason I'm to Old school and like a wood shaft a bit better yes I know it's all in my head but still .
That's not uncommon. People like what they're used to. I've seen people in the medical world switch from old medical devices. They complain that with the smoothed out texture they can't see anything. Of course the smoothed out textures were a ton more information so it was just change.

Ultimately its a play with what you want type of things. I"d rather the lowest deflection and I'll live with the lesser feel. I can get how you'd want to go the opposite. The joy of choices in the market.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, the absolute cheapest way to go all new, is to get a Revo with a Radial thread, and a Schmelke butt with a ball screw pin. The butt is USA made, and you can get a plain one for about $100 range.

Be forewarned, their fit and finish is not that good. I did this exact same thing, even pairing a 30" revo with a longer 30" Schmelke butt, and was not that impressed. But others here have had better luck.

Thanks that could be a good option to buy. I like a cloth wrap but get that it's a personal choice. Sounds like you have a great combination there. What tip did you get? Any issues generating english?

Rusty in Montana

I've not shot with a revo shaft to compare it to the rogue I'd suggest going and try to find someone with each and take a few shots with both .
If you do let us know what you think of them afterwards

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
I'm a little confused by cue tips and what to do.
The line of conversation regarding tips is useless.
I use spin and finesse.
Have you considered dancing with who you came with:

That finesse shot you made to come around to center table was a thing of beauty.

Trying to hit that same shot through the center of the table to sit pretty on the opposite end rail and you’ll be beating up pocket points.

Spend some time shooting variations in a theme. Learn the deflection of your shaft. Don’t just throw money at shtuff.