Belgium the n°1 country for pool in europe

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, you guys aren't too far from France, are you?
Well then, are French fries any good? I heard they were. :)

hehe, the best french fries are made .... in Belgium :)

In France there are a lot of jokes about the belgians & their french fries ;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehe, the best french fries are made .... in Belgium :)

In France there are a lot of jokes about the belgians & their french fries ;)

French fries with mayonnaise are a Belgian speciality. You see people eating them everywhere in paper cones.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
yup, french fries are a belgium speciality. Don't ask me why they are call french.

All i know is:
1/ they are made of a special kind of potato called a "bintje"
2/ They have to be cooked twice. once at 140°, then cooled down and again at 180°
3/ the perfect size is 13mm thickness

It's heaven. :) i think french fries is to Belgium what chicken wings are to afro Americans. (at least that's how i imagine it)

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going back fifteen years or so I spent a lot of time working in Belgium
and apart from The Smurfs and Hercule Poirot there are many random
things that I liked about the country.

An enterprizing bar owner put four snooker tables into his Nordzee Cafe and pretty soon the game took off like wildfire. Within 18 months every major and minor town sported many snooker club. Some had 20, 22 even 24 tables. You could drive through some remote village at midnight and included among the 40 odd buildings you could find a couple of 10 table clubs still packed.

I had coaches working in every Belgian city and players such as Mario Lannoye and Steve Lemmens emerged to compete at international level.

But within seven years the game virtually disappeared - the reason?

Most of these thriving clubs were subsidising the table rates, food and drink out of the voluminous gaming machines takings, particularly the notorious BINGOS. On these you could play each game for a nominal stake for which you could get a return two to one up to perhaps a hundred to one. But there was a locked cupboard where a meter recorded another stake with the sky being the limit in some cases. So these were lucrative cash generators. But overnight the government outlawed them and along with the Bingo, snooker ended up on the scrap heap.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think french fries is to Belgium what chicken wings are to afro Americans. (at least that's how i imagine it)
I guarantee more fat rednecks sitting in front of their TV's eat more chicken wings then black people.

DA\/E

Take a bit of time and watch some of the vids on YouTube of kamila khodjaeva. That's a name and face women's pool will be seeing a lot more of in the future.

Textbook technique, and amazing potting ability on the Chinese 8 Ball tables.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am beginning to despair of this forum. The OP put up a thread
expressing pride in his country's achievements on the pool table.
It only took about a dozen or so posts before the thread began
to unravel.

Who gives a F*** if they sell good waffles and there surely must
be a French Fries Forum that allows you to expound the virtues
of this ghastly image that waffles with skinny sliced potatoes
conjures up.

To make matters worse Soljarte (as is his perogative) has joined
in the debate, not at the billiards level but at trite heart attack
threatening level. He did a fine job before degenerating into a
vacation salesman.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am beginning to despair of this forum. The OP put up a thread
expressing pride in his country's achievements on the pool table.
It only took about a dozen or so posts before the thread began
to unravel.

Who gives a F*** if they sell good waffles and there surely must
be a French Fries Forum that allows you to expound the virtues
of this ghastly image that waffles with skinny sliced potatoes
conjures up.

To make matters worse Soljarte (as is his perogative) has joined
in the debate, not at the billiards level but at trite heart attack
threatening level. He did a fine job before degenerating into a
vacation salesman.
So now you hijack the thread with your own agenda that "REALLY" has nothing to do with the subject at all. What a hypocrite.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now you hijack the thread with your own agenda that "REALLY" has nothing to do with the subject at all. What a hypocrite.

That's hardly fair. Before his recent criticism, he wrote a very interesting and on-topic post about a small golden-era for snooker clubs in Belgium and what happened when the funding source dried up....

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So what is my AGENDA? You seem to have all the answers. I merely wrote a historical piece which I hope readers may find interesting and hopefully guided Soljarte back on to what he is good at - selling his federation.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
if some think that the point of my OP was to promote the current or old federation, then i guess either my point was not clear or you understood me wrong. i have nothing to do with the federation and i'm personally not very happy about a lot of things, past and present, but i'm not here to bash them or what is wrong, but to praise what is good.

I am proud of my 2 teammates and the hearth of belgium players in general. We don't have the support from sportschools, ministers of sport, media etc that other country's have, which makes it even harder to compete at top level without that support. We came very close to not even having a pool federation at all, but we do have top players, because they have hearth and prove it this EC and they deserve the credit. and as most here on azb and on the other part of the pond don't know much about them, i'm trying to promote them.

And personally i don't mind at all the OT posts about beer or fries at the end. its not that my OP was actually a question for help or a post that can give good conversations. it was just me , being happy and promoting my country and players. except for replies as "gratz", there's nothing much to say about it, and the extra posts didn't make the OP obsolete, so i personally don't mind at all.

keep it chill guys :) there are far worse things in life then some posts about beer and fries to get angry about if you want to spend you energy on that :)

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Well, I for one am happy you pointed out the great accomplishments of the Khodjaeva sisters,
I was impressed enough to offer to back them for the next Eurotour but Kamila told me she wasn't
interested in playing, which is fair enough. I hope they keep enjoying the game.

gr. Dave

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Take a bit of time and watch some of the vids on YouTube of kamila khodjaeva. That's a name and face women's pool will be seeing a lot more of in the future.

Textbook technique, and amazing potting ability on the Chinese 8 Ball tables.

yup,

this is her first try at chinese 8ball. it's A LOT different then pool and she still gets beaten by the more experiences chinese players who play only that game, just as the top man players get beaten by those who play this game all the time

The balls are different (weight. i know kamila has been training 2 weeks before the event on her pooltable with the balls they use in china to get used to the weight difference), the table is obv different, and the pocket sizes, make certain pots impossible, so you have to adjust you tactics, plan the runouts differently and you can't use every type of shot (sometimes a ball won't go if you stun it, but it will go in if you shoot it with pocketspeed)

I think kamila her strenght is her mental game and her thinking. she think's a level higher then her opponents. but i agree, good basics always help :) wish i had that.

yup,

this is her first try at chinese 8ball. it's A LOT different then pool and she still gets beaten by the more experiences chinese players who play only that game, just as the top man players get beaten by those who play this game all the time

The balls are different (weight. i know kamila has been training 2 weeks before the event on her pooltable with the balls they use in china to get used to the weight difference), the table is obv different, and the pocket sizes, make certain pots impossible, so you have to adjust you tactics, plan the runouts differently and you can't use every type of shot (sometimes a ball won't go if you stun it, but it will go in if you shoot it with pocketspeed)

I think kamila her strenght is her mental game and her thinking. she think's a level higher then her opponents. but i agree, good basics always help :) wish i had that.

Are the balls heavier? I was under the impression they were using super aramith pros.