Besst tip for the $???

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on the quest for the perfect tip for the past year myself, I played with triangles for 25 years and decided to venture out in the world of the next big thing. Here's the current conclusion I am at. This is subject to change... as far as layered tip.. for the money original ultra skins medium are a great tip. For mid priced I recommend Thomas mediums the billiard warehouse sells them. And for the high priced layered mediums I prefer Zan and G2 in no particular order. For non layered I am absolutely sold on outsville techno duds, which is my overall favorite. I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions though. Good luck.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Of course this being very subjective you're going to get a lot of responses for me I have to say hands down best tip for the money would be pooldawg8 Milk Duds.

And another tip I know a lot of guys say they don't like them but I swear I think some of these guys are getting counterfeits because I've had such great luck with them are kamui black softs.

Again very subjective topic but these are what work the best for me

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:sorry:

For the money I like my Tiger Emerald and Triangles.

I shoot fine with these two tips and I sure don't need to spend $20 on a tip.

:rolleyes:

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played and installed a lot of different tips this year and my favorite is the hard black Kamikaze. It holds its shape, chalk sticks like glue, and they are very reasonably priced. I just installed a hard brown on one of my shafts and I really haven’t played it enough to give a really good comparison to the black but I like it so far.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
The new Thoroughbred tips are the best I have ever played with..... The Hard hits really nice but the Medium Hard is my favorite.... Next in line would be the Searing tips, and the SIBS.......

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Tips

For the money,,,,, has to be LePro

-

If you've got some old lepro tips yes, the new production.... I threw away the remainder of a box in frustration due to 1 out of 2 tips would explode/pop like a mushroom upon installation...

Other than that...there are a lot of tips on the market at decent prices.. find what you like and roll with it. Not all tips play the same, you'll find not all cues play the same..
But if you a quality tip at a sweet price point I suggest you check out http://www.layeredcuetips.com

Rob.M

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like soft tips and don't mind spending about $20 a tip, the G2 Soft is the one that I think hits the best, of the ones I've tried.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like soft tips and don't mind spending about $20 a tip, the G2 Soft is the one that I think hits the best, of the ones I've tried.

+1 except i prefer the G2 medium as im using a not so stiff shaft 314-2.

I did prefer the G2 soft when i was using my super stiff mezz hp2 shaft , lots of cue ball juice and hits very very similar to the old moori's.

However i feel quality seems to be dropping just like moori's , but imo the most consistent among kamui n other tips i've tried.

Wouldnt mind trying the new searing tips tho, heard alotq gud things about em.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple

I am now partial to the Milk Duds from PoolDog8 and the medium Talisman layered tips.

Neither are over the top expensive and they last a long time.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 tips ~ Le Pro - Triangle - Milkduds by pooldawg8. Consider how old you are, how many different tips in how many different hardness's, then you have a lifelong project without ever having a tip long enough to be consistent. If you're one of the folks that falls for all the LD hype and buys the newest shafts every year then it won't be as much of a problem.

I've been on the quest for the perfect tip for the past year myself, I played with triangles for 25 years and decided to venture out in the world of the next big thing. Here's the current conclusion I am at. This is subject to change... as far as layered tip.. for the money original ultra skins medium are a great tip. For mid priced I recommend Thomas mediums the billiard warehouse sells them. And for the high priced layered mediums I prefer Zan and G2 in no particular order. For non layered I am absolutely sold on outsville techno duds, which is my overall favorite. I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions though. Good luck.

How do you define the perfect tip?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I installed a sniper hard tip on my cue about two years ago, and I gotta say keeps it's shape and the hit feels fantastic...20 bucks, but I go through about three tiger everests a year on my other cue, they play great but you can only shape them about three or four times before you are looking for a replacement.

Most tips have found have draw backs. For instance they may not mushroom or mushroom as much. Then again the grab and play well. They also dull the feedback of the cue. There is no perfect tip. At least not one I have come across. Triangles if you can select the correct one is the ticket. You have to hammer them into shape and then not get aggressive on shaping them. Once you get there don’t mess with them. Multi layer tips and I mean all I have tried turn the cue into a full instrument.. With only a very few exceptions. The only exception have found are the ORIGINAL Moori hard tips. Good lock with those. Maybe today’s pigs eat a different diet. I have no idea why. All I know is the common today tips do absolutely nothing for the cue. Unless you are one of those slow rolling players that roll balls in a pocket in which case the tip will matter way less than you think. But,, when you have to draw a ball a table and a half length (9 footer referenced ) and you have you got those shots on a regular, then you are going to have a hard time finding a tip that instills that level of confidence. When you hit that shot consistently then that’s your tip. There is no magic answer.

You all know the shots. If you don’t then no tip will help you.

It’s the one 3 inches from the long rail drawing back 3 rails from the second diamond to get the one and only angle that makes shape.

So stop asking silly questions. If that tip existed then every player would be playing it. It a trial by error process.

One thing I will tell you is when you have that tip and that cue you will know for sure. Nobody’s can or will tell you different.

The only words that will come out of people’s mouth is “wow”. Providing you can stroke that shot to begin with.

I cue, a tip a ferrule is a marriage between that combination and the player.

Ever watch the movie arbiter? It’s like that.! The combination of elements. A tip by itself doesn’t do a damn thing. You select a cue based on you playing style. And once that Union happens you gain confidence in the cue and you know what it can and can’t do.

For some people that never find that cue. Or the tip. Reason being it’s a union. I found it early on. My original TAD-1 from 2992 is that cue. The only cue that comes remotely close is a Gina cue I recently shot. Didn’t even ask what tip was not it. The feedback and balance made me feel right at home.

So I short there is not tip. There is no cue. It’s about the perfect union. When you find it...don’t let it go for the world. There is not cue or tip or price that will ever depart me from my original TAD. not going to happen while I am alive.

Me and my TAD chose each other.

Anyone who knows, knows.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I started using G2 soft on my Ex Pro shaft about 1 month ago and I cant be more happier. I used to play with Kamui black SS but the problem with kamui is that it always hardened noticably quite fast. G2 doesnt seem to harden much if at all, drawing the rock is absolute pleasure with G2 and I dont see myself changing to other brand anytime soon :thumbup:

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to give credit to Dennis Searing for the best layered tips. My second choice is Morakami. The medium hits pretty hard, but maintains its shape.

The question is, on slower equipment, will the tip still perform when you have to put some stroke on the shot? For me, the key is the Mezz WX900 shaft or the Jacoby HE.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After trying out tips I have settled on good old fashioned hard pressed Triangles. A buck apiece. However I am test driving a milk dud. Than you BlackBalled and pooldawg8. I'll get back to you on this one. I will say I had a good 3 cushion session last night using the milk dud.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip I have found and stick with is Blue Diamond.
Starts out soft but after playing with it for a while it hardens up perfectly and never seems to mushroom. I've had one on my cue for a couple of years and it's still in tact. I break with it too so it's compresses and hardens up fairly quickly for me.