Best 2 1/4" Cue Ball

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
How does the triangle CB play?
the same as red circle??

I may be able to help out here. Now, I am uncertain if they are talking a Triangle Ball made by Aramith that use to come with the Aramith Pro Sets around 10 years ago or something else. Because the Triangle cue balls made by Aramith are no longer made and have not been for more than 8 years.

But, to answer your question completely I think the Original triangle balls were very close to the Blue Circle ball that come s with the Brunswick Centennial Ball sets.

Take Care

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue circle its more work than the red, but when you have a good solid stroke its much more controllable and easier not to loose the CB, the red circle can get lose. It does take time/work to play with the blue circle. Corey is right use what comes with the set is best plan.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
rackem said:
You said you have a barbox but you did not state if you want the cue ball to go to the cue ball return or if it is okay that it goes to the side return with the object balls.
If you want it to go to the cue ball return the green logo valley ball would be the best choice. If the side is okay then get a red circle.

I have it fixed so you can use a regular QB on it. Johnnyt

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
you mean to tell me... its the CUE BALL?????

WOW what a burden off of my shoulders LOL

for a while there I thought I was misjudging my stroke... but its been the cueball holding me back all the while...

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!!

do they make a low deflection cueball yet???...... I'd pay ooohhh $200 for one... here is an Idea we could cut regular cheap cueballs into orange type slices and reverse the grain....every other slice... market the hell out of them and sponsor a few tours.. and poof you have the perfect marriage.. the predator PIE... with a fruit cueball..... you have a fruit pie....

fruit pie .... (n) a person who honestly believes that minor variances in equipment will separate the best players from each other... or for that matter mediocre players from each other...

I'll settle for any cueball as long as we both have to use it...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If it's not the QB that is my problem, then it must be my tip. It can't be my stroke :eek: . Johnnyt

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
honestly though... 7 footers are far more demanding than 9 footers... your target zones are much smaller... and you have to be aware of that going in...

if you are playing after a long layoff... cut yourself some slack and allow yourself to acclimate to the tighter position demands of a 7 foot table....

cueball can make a huge difference...you need to learn the valley cueball if you plan to play on valley tables... it's not better or worse... it just is... it's not going to give you the stop shot you are expecting..

learning what you have is better than wishing for something you don't have... IMO

good luck...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
softshot said:
honestly though... 7 footers are far more demanding than 9 footers... your target zones are much smaller... and you have to be aware of that going in...

if you are playing after a long layoff... cut yourself some slack and allow yourself to acclimate to the tighter position demands of a 7 foot table....

cueball can make a huge difference...you need to learn the valley cueball if you plan to play on valley tables... it's not better or worse... it just is... it's not going to give you the stop shot you are expecting..

learning what you have is better than wishing for something you don't have... IMO

good luck...

You are probably right, but I've always been a "i want it now kind of guy". I still jump up and down sometimes when I don't get it fast enough. Johnnyt

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
I may be able to help out here. Now, I am uncertain if they are talking a Triangle Ball made by Aramith that use to come with the Aramith Pro Sets around 10 years ago or something else. Because the Triangle cue balls made by Aramith are no longer made and have not been for more than 8 years.

But, to answer your question completely I think the Original triangle balls were very close to the Blue Circle ball that come s with the Brunswick Centennial Ball sets.

Take Care

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I see a set of Aramith Balls that has the red triangle CB. Here's the link:
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-3594-Super-Aramith-Pro-Balls/

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
RiverCity said:
I would like to say something for the record....
Someone asked what a mudball is. "Mudballs" were slang for the composite balls used between the era of ivory and phenolic. Somehow or another people started calling the 2 3/8 "grapefruit" cue ball on a barbox.... a mudball. Plain and simple, its not. Ive even heard people calling a regular 2 1/4 barbox cueball, a mudball. They are incorrect also.
Chuck

Barbox cueballs:

I always thought the "mudball" was the ball with the metal flake in it?

Then there's the "plug ball," that literally has a hole drilled in it, weight added, then plugged back up with phenolic material.

Lastly, the oversized cue ball - it's about carom ball size.

All of which are they way they are so that the box mechanism always returns the cueball.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
Barbox cueballs:

I always thought the "mudball" was the ball with the metal flake in it?

Then there's the "plug ball," that literally has a hole drilled in it, weight added, not weight but steel core to be magnetic then plugged back up with phenolic material.

Lastly, the oversized cue ball - it's about carom ball size.

All of which are they way they are so that the box mechanism always returns the cueball.
Corey you have not mentioned the newest and best bar box ball.
It is the Valley ball with the green logo.
I understand it has a metal foil in it to be magnetic.
It is close to the weight of the object ball.

Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I see a set of Aramith Balls that has the red triangle CB. Here's the link:
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-3594-Super-Aramith-Pro-Balls/
I believe that's an old photo because the red triangle cue ball does not come with a new set of Super Aramith Pro balls...instead, a red Aramith logo cue ball does, which is what was included in my new set that I bought with my table this past summer.

Here's a link to an eBay auction for one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-ARAMITH-PRO-CUE-BALL-RED-LOGO_W0QQitemZ350042939118QQcmdZViewItem

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
rackem said:

See, that would be similar to what I always thought a "mudball" was.

I wish they gave detailed info about the balls here: http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=13

Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Marop said:
Standard Super Aramith cue ball and measles cue ball weigh the same as the Super Aramith object balls...

Not in my experience.

After I bought my Diamond table this summer, which came with a brand new set of Super Aramith Pro balls (with red Aramith logo cue ball), I also bought a Super Aramith Pro Cup "Measles" cue ball and weighed both cue balls.

The (new) red Aramith logo cue ball weighed 168 g. (5.93 oz.)... and the (new) Super Aramith Pro Cup "Measles" cue ball weighed 162 g. (5.71 oz.)... for almost a 0.25 oz. difference with the Measles ball being the lighter of the two.

I also weighed all of the object balls in my Super Aramith Pro ball set and they all weighed within one (1) gram of the red Aramith logo cue ball... most all were 168 g. and a couple were 167 g. iirc.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
rackem said:

Actually, I think the "newest and best" barbox ball is a normal cue ball - they can be used on the Diamond Smart Table, which recognizes them optically.

pj
chgo

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cigardave said:
I believe that's an old photo because the red triangle cue ball does not come with a new set of Super Aramith Pro balls...instead, a red Aramith logo cue ball does, which is what was included in my new set that I bought with my table this past summer.

Here's a link to an eBay auction for one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-ARAMITH-PRO-CUE-BALL-RED-LOGO_W0QQitemZ350042939118QQcmdZViewItem

I called Mueller Recreational Products, and they told me that the red triangle CB sometimes comes in the set, randomly. Most times is comes with the red Aramith logo CBs.

I was on hold with customer service to see if they had any red triangle CBs in any broken up sets, but then the call got dropped.

The Mueller Rec guy thinks the red triangle and red aramith logo ball is the same.

I guess the next step is to contact Aramith.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Actually, I think the "newest and best" barbox ball is a normal cue ball - they can be used on the Diamond Smart Table, which recognizes them optically.

pj
chgo
Nope it recognizes the red circle ball.:thumbup:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
I called Mueller Recreational Products, and they told me that the red triangle CB sometimes comes in the set, randomly. Most times is comes with the red Aramith logo CBs.

I was on hold with customer service to see if they had any red triangle CBs in any broken up sets, but then the call got dropped.

The Mueller Rec guy thinks the red triangle and red aramith logo ball is the same.

I guess the next step is to contact Aramith.
Interesting. Perhaps the sets with the red triangle cue ball are from older stocks... just a guess.

And yes, we should contact Aramith. ;)

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Triangle CB

cigardave said:
Interesting. Perhaps the sets with the red triangle cue ball are from older stocks... just a guess.

And yes, we should contact Aramith. ;)

I left Aramith an email.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I've spent some time with a scale and found it very informative. I weighed an assortment of cueballs and object balls and summarized it as follows:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=1296719&postcount=1

mosconiac said:
I had the opportunity to weigh a variety of CB's and OB's during a recent visit to my local PH. I used a digital scale with quoted accuracy of 0.01 ounce.

For sets of OB's, I measured the 1B & 15B from each set to determine if the 1B is lighter than the 15B (due to wear).

Here are the results with photos of the balls in question:

Aramith "green logo" CB: 5.94 oz
GreenLogo.jpg

Aramith "measles" CB: 5.84 oz
MeaslesCB.jpg

Aramith "red triangle" CB (from my late-90's SPA set): 5.89 oz
No Picture Available, Obsolete CB?

Black Lightning Bolt CB: 6.24 oz
BlackLightningBolt1.jpg

Black Circle CB: 5.68 oz
BlackCircleCB.jpg

Red Circle CB: 5.87 oz
RedCircle.jpg

Red Dot CB: 6.72 oz
RedDotCB.jpg

Super Pro Aramith OB's (late-90's set): 1B: 5.91 oz, 15B: 5.91 oz
AramithBalls.jpg

Cheap "no circle" OB's: 1B: 5.61 oz, 15B: 5.61 oz
BilliardMasterBalls39.jpg

Cheap "circled number" OB's: 1B: 5.87 oz, 15B: 5.97 oz
CircleBalls.jpg

Cheap "big number" OB's: 1B: 5.92 oz, 15B: 5.95 oz (look similar to SPA's)
NoCircleBalls.jpg