Best 2 1/4" Cue Ball

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconiac,

If the black circle is lighter, wouldn't it give more action, than the red circle?

Which CB do you think is the best?

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
Mosconiac,

If the black circle is lighter, wouldn't it give more action, than the red circle?

IMO, action is more than just the weight. It also includes the rebound efficiency, which is indicative of the modulus of elasticity of the phenolic resins from which the different cue balls are being made.

Based on my experiments, the phenolic resin formula used in the Super Aramith Pro red logo cue ball is NOT the same as used in the Super Aramith Pro Cup "measles" cue ball.

I simultaneously dropped one of each cue ball onto a smooth concrete floor from a mid-chest height. The red logo cue ball bounced ~8" higher that did the "measles" cue ball. Although the weights were different (162 g. for the "measles" and 168 g. for the red logo), the difference in weight alone (3.7%) does not explain the difference in rebound heights.

I conducted the experiment several times, all with the same result.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
Mosconiac,

The black circle, being lighter than most object balls you will encounter, will draw better than the red circle. Conversely, the red circle will follow better with the same set of object balls. If you run into the el cheapo object balls I measured at 5.61 ounces, not much will help your draw stroke.

I feel the measles, red triangle, and red circle balls are interchangable...and will be a decent match for the better sets of object balls. cigardave's experimental results indicate there may be subtle differences beyond the simple weight comparisons. I prefer the measles balls so I can see if I've overspun the CB or not (as a general rule, if it leaves the last rail spinning...or worse yet--sits & spins--you've used to much).

Although the green aramith logo ball is only slightly heavier than the measles/red circle/red triangles, it has a dull surface that seems to collect chalk which leads to inadvertent skids. I try not to use it, but sometimes league or tournament play dictates it.

I never play with a red dot, black lightning bolt, or black circle.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
IMO the best cue ball to use, is the one that comes with the set.

You may not be following through deliberatly. It only takes a very light stroke to draw the ball. I see people trying to hit it too hard, and their cue ends up not even hitting the cue ball where they want to, or the cue ball can have way to much forward momentum to even come back.

Lastly, "make sure the balls are clean!"
John Schmidt - 2008

Corey was right...I wasn't following through on all my draw shots. Thank you Corey. I guess what they say about going back to the basics after a long layoff is true...you wouldn't think so after playing for over 50 years though. I also found out why I was missing shots to the right. I wasn't angling my body enough to keep the cue and arm from brushing up against my body.

But I do feel like there is a QB out there that draws better. Anyhow after 150 draw shots with follow through and useing proper stance I'm wore out...but a good wore out. Thanks all that responded. Johnnyt

I still believe

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Well I got the Red Circle QB. It might be in my head or my stroke might be getting better, but I get more draw and action from it. Thanks guys and gals. Johnnyt

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I just got a chance to weigh another common cue ball. Here it is:

Aramith "red logo" CB: 5.96 oz
aramith20red20logo20cue20ball.jpg

This cue ball is heavier than the measels and red circle cueballs we are used to seeing. Interestingly, it is nearly identical in weight to the green logo (magnetic) cueball.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I just got a chance to weigh another common cue ball. Here it is:

Aramith "red logo" CB: 5.96 oz
aramith20red20logo20cue20ball.jpg

This cue ball is heavier than the measels and red circle cueballs we are used to seeing. Interestingly, it is nearly identical in weight to the green logo (magnetic) cueball.
mosconiac - Try the same experiment that I did.

Simultaneously drop both your measles cue ball and your Aramith red logo cue ball from mid-chest height onto a smooth concrete floor... and see how high each one rebounds... and report back.

tia, cd.

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
good test

cigardave said:
mosconiac - Try the same experiment that I did.

Simultaneously drop both your measles cue ball and your Aramith red logo cue ball from mid-chest height onto a smooth concrete floor... and see how high each one rebounds... and report back.

tia, cd.

What balls have you measured this way?
Thanks!

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Ballistic Billiards said:
What balls have you measured this way?
Thanks!
The two that I mentioned in the post that you quoted... a Super Aramith Pro Cup (measles) and a Super Aramith Pro (red logo). See (my) post #43 for the results. They were surprising.

I'd be interested to hear about others' results.

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
elasticity

I've heard that the red circle ball is made of carom ball material and is
more elastic than the pro cup (measle) ball which is to be made from
the same material as the object balls.
I will run this experiment the next time I can, and report my findings, unless
someone else has opportunity before I.
IMO, this is a pretty good test for elasticity.
Thanks!

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Ballistic Billiards said:
I've heard that the red circle ball is made of carom ball material and is
more elastic than the pro cup (measle) ball which is to be made from
the same material as the object balls.

I will run this experiment the next time I can, and report my findings, unless
someone else has opportunity before I.
IMO, this is a pretty good test for elasticity.
Thanks!

BB - I'll do some more drop tests... this time comparing the measles cue ball against the object balls in my Super Aramith Pro set. I anticipate the object balls will out-rebound the measles cue ball... just like the Super Aramith Pro (red logo) cue ball did.

And I also have a black circle cue ball, which I'll weigh and drop test as well.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
LMAO...funny stuff...I've always liked the cue ball the other guy doesn't...I LIKE THE BLACK CIRCLE!!!

softshot said:
you mean to tell me... its the CUE BALL?????

WOW what a burden off of my shoulders LOL

for a while there I thought I was misjudging my stroke... but its been the cueball holding me back all the while...

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!!

do they make a low deflection cueball yet???...... I'd pay ooohhh $200 for one... here is an Idea we could cut regular cheap cueballs into orange type slices and reverse the grain....every other slice... market the hell out of them and sponsor a few tours.. and poof you have the perfect marriage.. the predator PIE... with a fruit cueball..... you have a fruit pie....

fruit pie .... (n) a person who honestly believes that minor variances in equipment will separate the best players from each other... or for that matter mediocre players from each other...

I'll settle for any cueball as long as we both have to use it...

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue BAll........

Meezer Girl said:
I have never had any issues using follow with the red circle.

I have found that I have issues with the measle ball - it seems "sluggish" compared to the red circle and I sometimes have trouble getting the draw that I want. I thought it was just me but then a couple of local very good players said the same thing. Seems like most people just jumped on the measle ball so they could "see the english" - I know what I put on the ball, I don't need to "watch it" !!!!
The measle ball is actually a lil heavier than the normal cue balls. That is why you have trouble using draw. To get the same amount of draw you will have to either hit lower on the ball or hit a lil harder. Hope this helps anybody.:thumbup:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rofl...

softshot said:
you mean to tell me... its the CUE BALL?????

WOW what a burden off of my shoulders LOL

for a while there I thought I was misjudging my stroke... but its been the cueball holding me back all the while...

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!!

do they make a low deflection cueball yet???...... I'd pay ooohhh $200 for one... here is an Idea we could cut regular cheap cueballs into orange type slices and reverse the grain....every other slice... market the hell out of them and sponsor a few tours.. and poof you have the perfect marriage.. the predator PIE... with a fruit cueball..... you have a fruit pie....

fruit pie .... (n) a person who honestly believes that minor variances in equipment will separate the best players from each other... or for that matter mediocre players from each other...

I'll settle for any cueball as long as we both have to use it...
I second this post.......:thumbup:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm......

cigardave said:
Not in my experience.

After I bought my Diamond table this summer, which came with a brand new set of Super Aramith Pro balls (with red Aramith logo cue ball), I also bought a Super Aramith Pro Cup "Measles" cue ball and weighed both cue balls.

The (new) red Aramith logo cue ball weighed 168 g. (5.93 oz.)... and the (new) Super Aramith Pro Cup "Measles" cue ball weighed 162 g. (5.71 oz.)... for almost a 0.25 oz. difference with the Measles ball being the lighter of the two.

I also weighed all of the object balls in my Super Aramith Pro ball set and they all weighed within one (1) gram of the red Aramith logo cue ball... most all were 168 g. and a couple were 167 g. iirc.
After reading this post I notice you weighed the measle as lighter? Have there been different measle balls over the last few years?

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
tucson9ball said:
After reading this post I notice you weighed the measle as lighter? Have there been different measle balls over the last few years?

Re different Measles balls... not that I am aware of.

Only Saluc could answer for sure... but, unfortunately, they are not very responsive to emails. I sent them one ~1 week ago asking about the phenolic resins that they use in the Measles ball and in the Super Aramith Pro balls (because they rebound so differently when dropped onto a smooth concrete floor)... and nothing yet. :mad:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I weighed all that I have, but I do not have a black dot or black circle. I suppose that the mention of a blue dot means a blue circle which comes with the Centennials.

Copied from another thread; this is the results of the weighing I did today. Done on a scale that's been tested with a 500 gram test weight.

Plain.. came with the cheaper set of Aramith I had.. 164 grams
Blue circle: 168.1 grams (comes with Centennial sets)
Red circle: 165.5
Red circle (another one I had); 163.5 grams
Measles: 167.5 grams
Centennial 5 ball: 167.7 grams

Big difference in measles balls from the post above and my ball.