Best Break Cue???

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Help!- I am looking to purchase a break cue, could be also a break/jump combo.

Would like to get feedback on which is the best way to go- BK2, Jerico Stinger, Mezz Powerbreak II, Sledgehammer, Tiger Icebreaker or J&J Jump/Break.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,
Crazycueman

Pete Ohman makes the best jump/break cue I have owned. I have owned about 5 others, several were very popular, but the Omen cue blows them away.

This cue is qualitatively different. The cue has an extra long forearm. So when you unscrew the butt to jump, the cue you hold is much longer. Some say you need super light cues to jump, and they make them extra short to cut out the weight. The Omen's construction keeps the forearm weight low, but the extra length allows much better aiming. Many jumps are not a full ball that is a ball width away. These longer lower jumps require aiming that you cannot do with a short jump cue.

It isn't about how high you can hop the cue ball, it is about how accurately you can hop the ball. Try an Omen before you spend the bucks elsewhere. As for breaking, the shaft taper allows me to control the cue ball and make the corner ball consistently. If I prefer, I can shatter the rack with more power than my playing cue by far.

Pete will also customize your break cue with woods or inlays to match your playing cue if you like.

Call Pete Ohman if you have questions (321) 951-8123

Pictured is a fancy jump break Pete made to match my Cantando.

OmenCantandoWhitten.jpg

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Jerico Stinger

The Jerico Stinger directly from Jerry Powers gets my vote. He has his own leather break tip which is far better than phenolic in all aspects. Secondly his customer service is exceptional. I had an issue recently and Jerry repaired my cue and had it back to me in perfect condition within a week!
JMO!!!!
Dan

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.6%
228   1   0
This will setting the new standard of Jump/Break Cues...

Randy Mobley has designed a high performance, limited edition, custom J/B cue called the "BrumhandL". This is not your ordinary production J/B, but a true custom J/B built for maximum cue speed and cue ball control.

Randy only made 10 of these cues, and 5 have been sold before ever leaving his shop. The feedback from the players that already have one has been overwhelming positive.

I will be getting the remaining 5 cues on Friday. Don't be late as these will go fast.... you already know how tough is is to find a Mobley cue for sale. Do not let the simplistic look of this cue fool you.. Randy can talk for an hour describing the features that went into the design of the "BrumhandL".

Price is $650 shipped worldwide.

Mobley_Brum3.jpg

almostgood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
I play with a Cannon Break Cue made buy a guy named Dick Gahme. The best break cue I have hit with next to an original sledgehammer. pretty cheap to. he makes a few different styles as well. Just throwin that out there. oh. hes out of Cincinatti Ohio .

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
247   0   0
From the many that I have tried it all comes down to what you like and what you want. I have played with many of the cheaper ones like J&J and they all have a fat shaft 14MM plus and I am not a fan of that. I had a couple Sledge Hammers (Old Ones), Bryan Fisher ( A lot like a sledge ), Varney with a Laminated Shaft ( Broke like a monster but I wasnt a fan of the jump with the Lam Shaft), Steve Lomax (One of the best). But you just have to find what you like. Some guys will swear by a sledge hammer and you may hate it. Do yourself a favor and try out the cheaper ones first. Im sure you will make the full circle like I did. I currently have a Monster Varney on order. When I had my Lomax it was to nice and I didnt feel comfortable having it out at the bars on league night. So I now feel like I want a JB Cue that Jumps and Breaks just as well but also one that I wont feel bad if it gets dinged up. Just my .02!

bencho

n00b
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
JJ - Pretty good cheap phenolic tipped cue. I've been using it for several years and lent it out to friends. It's dinged up but still breaks pretty well. Shaft is FAT though

BK2 - I used to really like the balance of this. Thought it was excellent.

MezzPBII - Then tried this and love it. It does take some getting used to though due to it being 4 inches shorter than most break cues.

robert4fun0058

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Somehow my response to a different question ended up here. I would put the ob1 on a mcdermott butt for sure, even if you get a cheap one with a radial joint, your ob1 will be wood on wood contact and you will destroy the balls. Most custom makers are turning to radial joint. My mcdermott stinger has a radial joint and can destroy balls. Actually any cue with a radial pin with an ob1 and you will destroy racks and feel the nice wood to wood contact as if you were using a one piece cue on roids. Cheers. Happy smashing racks.

robert4fun0058

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would buy the mcdermott stinger in a second, they bought out jericho's line because jericho ran out of cash. On a 4x8 table, i was sitting over a corner pocket and jumped over a ball i was snookered on in the center of the table and sunk the 8 in the opposite corner pocket and the 8 had to be cut in. It was so effective that 2 of my teammates bought one the next day. One guy could not jump one ball, on his first attempt with the mcdermott stinger he jumped 6 balls lined up. It is the best jump cue ever, i have tried predator's, lucasi's, nothing touches this thing. A spectator in the middle of my match ran over and quickly asked as i was about to break, what in the world kind of cue did i just jump over 4 balls with to sink the black and win the game. It was as if the guy had seen christ, but it is the cue. Don't let jericho's price fool you, mcdermott bought the patent off them, it is the same cue. If anyone tells you different, they are probably crying because they paid $450 for the jericho and the mcdermott can be had for $151. Both shafts have the same patent pending, coincidence, it think not.

robert4fun0058

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Jump break cue

I would buy the mcdermott stinger in a second, they bought out jericho's line because jericho ran out of cash. On a 4x8 table, i was sitting over a corner pocket and jumped over a ball i was snookered on in the center of the table and sunk the 8 in the opposite corner pocket and the 8 had to be cut in. It was so effective that 2 of my teammates bought one the next day. One guy could not jump one ball, on his first attempt with the mcdermott stinger he jumped 6 balls lined up. It is the best jump cue ever, i have tried predator's, lucasi's, nothing touches this thing. A spectator in the middle of my match ran over and quickly asked as i was about to break, what in the world kind of cue did i just jump over 4 balls with to sink the black and win the game. It was as if the guy had seen christ, but it is the cue. Don't let jericho's price fool you, mcdermott bought the patent off them, it is the same cue. If anyone tells you different, they are probably crying because they paid $450 for the jericho and the mcdermott can be had for $151. Both shafts have the same patent pending, coincidence, it think not.

IF YOU ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH THE BREAK, PUT AN OB1 ON A BUTT WITH A RADIAL JOINT LIKE A MCDERMOTT, OR ANYTHING THAT GIVES YOU MORE WOOD TO WOOD CONTACT. MY TEAMMATE PUT AN OB1 BREAK ON A RADIAL MCDERMOTT AND IT BREAKS BETTER THAN MY MCDERMOTT STINGER ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TIP ON THE 0B1, IT IS MADE FOR MORE CONTROL. ANY RADIAL BUTT WITH AN OB1 WILL FEEL LIKE A ONE PIECE ON ROIDS FOR UNDER $275. $199 FOR THE OB1, MAYBE $75 OR LESS FOR A SNEAKY PETE CUE, NEW OR USED, WITH A RADIAL PIN.

vladmin

Break'em dry !
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
81   0   1
I tried a lot of breakers. BK2, Poison, Icebreaker, X-Breaker, Stinger, etc

Yesterday I received a MG SledgeHammer ... best out of all ! The rack gets destroyed and for the first time I managed to pocket 5 balls on a 9 ball break.