Billiards Digest 50 Greatest Players of the Century

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that list is a joke, its based on something other than pool. there is a agenda behind it. rubbish!!!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I would have thought Mr. Lassiter would have been a bit higher, especially from an all-around perspective. :smile:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
For this kind of thing, I think you need to rank men and women seperatly. It's just not a fair comparison as Reyes was up against far stronger competition than Loree Jon Jones ever faced on a regular basis.

I agree that Walter Lindrum is number 1, no question. The guy was required to spot the other top players in a major tournament, and still won. His high break hasn't even been approached in the past 60 years, not even once. I think Geet Sethi has the modern day high break of 1270, Walter Lindrum is over 4000.

Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry should be in the top ten. They both made their competition look silly in the 80's and 90's respectively. No one has won more than Davis in snooker, not even Hendry. I don't understand why in the pool community people tend to pretend snooker doesn't exist. :confused:

not to nit pic just correcting the error. Hendry is most winning player .

http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/titles.php?alltime&status=p

Last edited:

CueTracker

That is pure rubbish! What a terrible list!

Thanks for your constructive comment. If you had taken the time to look around the site, you would have found that I'm still working on adding the thousands upon thousands of matches that were played in professional snooker. Once it's complete, the list mentioned will be accurate.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously

I certain this list acknowledges players in each of their specialties, despite the fact that the author probably never saw some of them play. However to have Buddy Hall 27th and Eferen 29th is absurd. How would you like to someone drive up with a dump truck full of money and let us all buy players, like a calcutta, to see who takes the cash in an all around? Lassiter, Reyes, and Hall would have allot of backers

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now we're talking...

Look at Loree Jon Jones' and Jeanette Lee's tournament win records and then look at Allison Fisher's record.

The fact that Allison Fisher isn't on the list and those two are, just shows the silliness of this list.

Nobody has dominated women's pool like Allison Fisher.

WHO COULD NOT AGREE: In Allison's first year on the womens circuit she played in 15 tournaments. Won 13, placed second in 2 and won two out of the country. Tiger Woods. Hide your head.
To those of you who know her, you needn't read this, but to those of you who are less fortunate, Allison is a lovely, first rate human being and possibly England's greatest full time ambassador. I, personally, love her.
Keep it British. Alfie

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
efren 29th just made me think this list is a bunch of crap. I stopped looking when i saw that Loree Jon Jones was rated higher than him. Not saying she wasnt a great player and total champion, but i would think even she would say Efren is a greater player than she was.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your constructive comment. If you had taken the time to look around the site, you would have found that I'm still working on adding the thousands upon thousands of matches that were played in professional snooker. Once it's complete, the list mentioned will be accurate.

sorry, St. Paddy's day drinking post! lol...did just skim after reading the initial list. But I do have to say the lack of snooker champions was one of my problems with it. And I hate to drag up an old argument, but putting genders together is not fair to me. Listing females on this list, for being dominant against competition a decent amateur male could dominate, is kind of unfair.(Especially when they're listed above males who they probably couldn't find a fair spot to match up with them.)

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member

I think you may have misunderstood, Instroke75 may have been referring to the Billiards Digest list. I posted your snooker stats to correct an error by another poster.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may have misunderstood, Instroke75 may have been referring to the Billiards Digest list. I posted your snooker stats to correct an error by another poster.

yes, i was talking about the Billiard Digest list. I didn't even read all the comments

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I was drinking Bourbon and managed to figure it out, what in the heck were you drinking :D

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
1-3 are obvious. Wimpy should have been #4.

Efren and Earl are low, but they had alot left to do from 1999 when that was published and for the next 10 years.

Hall seems well placed if you look at major tournament wins, gauging gambling success for a list like this is tough and should be avoided.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
data and perspective

just a little something to chew on:

RANKINGS MADE BY BILLIARD GROUP

Ralph Greenleaf is placed first in pocket billiards, Johnny Layton first in 3-cushion and Jake
Schaefer [Jr.]
first in 18.2 balkline, according to the rating list just announced by the ranking
committee of the National Billiard Association of America.

These selections should occasion no surprise, as the three are at present the champions of the
world in their respective divisions. However, in 3-cushion the unexpected is found, for three
balkline players are placed among the first 10. Willie Hoppe is placed at number 2, Welker
Cochran at number 6, and Schaefer at number 8.

Hoppe has been dropped to number 5 at balkline and barely managed to escape 7th position.
He has failed to compete in either of the last world's 3-cushion or pocket billiard tournaments, but
the ranking committee rated him on past performances and felt that no list would be complete
unless Hoppe was assigned a position. The ratings for the three divisions follow:

18.2 Balkline
1. Jake Schaefer, San Francisco
2. Welker Cochran, New York
3. Edouard Horemans, Belgium
4. Eric Hagenlacher, Germany
5. Willie Hoppe, New York
6. Roger Conti, France
7. Kinrey Matsuyama, Japan
8. Felix Grange, France
9. Edmond Derbier, France
10. David McAndless, Chicago
Honorable mention - Tadao Suganuma, Kamekichi Suzuki, Koji Yamada, Japan; Ary Bos,
Holland; Ora Morningstar, San Diego

Three Cushion
1. Johnny Layton, Sedalia MO
2. Willie Hoppe, New York
3. Otto Reiselt, Philadelphia
4. Allen K Hall, Chicago
5. Augie Kieckhefer, Chicago
6. Welker Cochran, New York
7. Gus Copulos, Detroit
8. Jake Schaefer, San Francisco
9. Tiff Denton, Kansas City
10. Earl Lookabaugh, Chicago
Honorable mention -Art Thurnblad, Len Kenney and Joseph Moriarty of Chicago; Charles E.
Jordan, Los Angeles; Alfredo de Oro, New York; Walter Riley, Philadelphia

Pocket Billiards
1. Ralph Greenleaf, New York
2. Frank Taberski, Schenectady
3. Edwin Rudolph, Chicago
4. Onofrio Lauri, Brooklyn
5. Pasquale Natalie, Detroit
6. Charles Seaback, Boston
7. Arthur Woods, Pawtucket R.I.
8. Andrew Ponzi, Philadelphia
9. Marcel Camp, Detroit
10. Spencer Livsey, Los Angeles
Honorable mention - Charles Harmon, NewYork; Charles (Cowboy) Weston, Chicago; Larry
Stoutenburgh, Buffalo; Andrew St Jean, Minneapolis; James Maturo and Joseph Concannon,
Brooklyn; Harry Oswald, Pittsburgh

As published April 13, 1930 in the NY Times

Red = players who were included in the Billiards Digest top 50.

There are 10 different players, plus at least two more players on the BD list that pre-date these 1930 rankings. Loosely translated, this means that basically 1/4 of the BD rankings list is comprised of players who peaked during, or prior to 1930. (83 years ago)

Last edited:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

caponesinc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brake it down

This list should have been broken down by discipline, like 9 Ball,14.1 etc,etc,etc. and then all round.Now that would be interesting !!!!

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Reid should be at least #1

Reid should be at least #1.....he beat them all till they quit playing him!